Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear End..Help!

Thumbs up Rear End..Help!

I have an 88 S-15 That has slowly gotten to about 600 hp 383ci with a TH400. I know that the stock 7.5 will eat it sometime and i need some help on what to do with my rear end delimma. Are there any rear ends that i could steal from another car that wouldnt have to be narrowed or should i buy a Auburn differential or something like that and try to make the 7.5 stout enough? If a rearend has to be narrowed, what is the width of a Stock rearend and where can i find some cheap axles? Help me people

you could search for an 8.5 out of a newer s-series

if your actually putting out 600hp *could be a NooB thats exagerating* then i wouldnt really bother with a. 8.5.. id look into a 12 bolt .. a ford 8.8 *there stronger then a chevy 12bolt* or even a ford 9" theres a few companys that have ready to bolt in 9"s for s-series.. on the other hand my buddy has a narrowed 8.5 in his 64 nova thats runnin high 9s.. so its possible but you might end up paying more in the long run
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by slow 89
    if your actually putting out 600hp *could be a NooB thats exagerating*
    I like the quote "slowly gotten to 600hp" for a 17 year old.

Welcome to the forum. Post some pics or timeslips as we love burnout pics or request someone to host video to add credibility to a big claim.

I'm a big fan of 9" fords. All three vehicles in my avatars have 9"s). I like the ability to swap the third members (gearing around)

One of the other members out of TX has a built 12 bolt that would take the punishment too and even has some warranteed parts too.

Figure about $2500 if you want to bolt in a solution and you better be planning some traction aids and adjustable shocks.

In reality you should be thinking 4 link / coil over back half with that much power.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    With 600hp the rear-end that you have now will last maybe one day at the track.... might not even make it to the elimation rounds before it breaks. With 600hp I wouldn't be looking around for a stock rear to replace what you have. With 600hp, if you've put enough money into the engine to make it 600hp you're the kind of person who buys the right shit the first time, which means you'll know enough to be spending the money on a Currie 9'', Dana 60, or some other kind of super strong rear.

By the way, if you haven't gathered it from my assonine punctuations in this post.... 600hp is a lot of horsepower. Don't take this as an insult, but as a honest word of advice. If you want to get along here, you need to take a big step back... take a deep breath... and realize that you have people on this message board infront of you who have years and years and YEARS worth of engine building experience under their belts. This is not a ricer forum where if you have a V8 you can get away with saying you have 600hp right off the bat. There are many on this messageboard who know what it takes to get 600hp out of a 383.

So tell me.... do you really have 600 honest horsepower? If so, I'd like to know every single spec to your engine.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Originally posted by Catching Second
    With 600hp, 600hp, 600hp, 600hp, 600hp, you have 600hp, 600hp, 600 honest horsepower? I'd like to know every single spec to your engine.
    Jealous? Lemme get your flag... :bs:
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

Registered User hotrodblazer4.3's Avatar
    Come on guys, he is from Texas, and everything is bigger in Texas.
    The above opinion is my own and is subject to ridicule since age and experience mean nothing on these forums.

Geez people...i dunno why you gotta rag on me cuz im 17....raggin on me cuz im from the TX, i can understand. And since YALL (thats the TX) cant comprehend 600hp, i never said it was a street truck or naturally aspirated. I mean it hasnt been driven too much for fear of the rear end. I have a good 12 bolt that could be narrowed but i was really wondering if anyone had gotten an 8.5 out of a new 4x4 that would bolt up for the most part and how that turned outAnd to all the people that are ahead of me with years and years of experience under their belts, in texas when your summer job is working on a drilling rig 12 hours a day at 12 years old, you could be a machinist/fabricator/welder by the time you graduate Jr. high and jr. high would be the harder of the 2. I mean you think cuz im 17 i have spikey hair with calligraphy (you do know what calligraphy is dont you?)stickers covering my vehicles (i do have a good story bout an NX sticker that added bout 20horses tho). I think i still know more about waukeshas and caterpillars and Gardner denvers than i do about a SBC. Just so you know im not mechanically inclined

IMO the hole is getting deeper.

from your last post are you now inferring it may be a forced induction NON street truck?

If its a drag truck you will be running fast enough where you will be required to have aftermarket SFI approved axles. Any GM rearend that has C-clips to retain the axles (like an 8.5 and 12 bolt) will also require C-clip eliminators kits to be legal.

I'm only aware of one member with an 8.5" and he hasn't really had enough miles of beat on time to determine how it will hold up.

So what are the specs on your 600hp engine, kiddo?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

By the way, I never once was rude to you. I never accused you of being a "Spikey haired 17 year old punk"..... wherever that came from, I have no idea. I'm just giving you a chance to really either straighten up and stop talking out of your ass if you are.... or prove that you indeed do have an engine that has 600hp to make a good impression.

You talk about how being on a drilling rig makes you into a machinist, welder, etc etc etc.... What does that have to go with the price of pussy in Thialand? Being on a drilling rig is far from building a 600hp engine. So, I don't know why you would use that as a way to prove yourself.

So... I'll stop... if I were you and had anymore to say like you just did... I'd type the reply once... then go back and reread it. If it sounds smart-asstic... retype it to make it sound like roses and bunny rabits... because right now you're not a crowd favorite.

Not picking on you at all.. I'm just trying to get you to establish yourself in a good manner here so you will get along with us and we will get along with you.

Originally posted by hotrodblazer4.3
    Come on guys, he is from Texas, and everything is bigger in Texas.
    NOT neccessarily.......... if a Texas horsepower was smaller there would be more of them.

I brought up the age cause I found the "slowly built up" comment funny, but no pics, no specs, and after rereading "12 hour day 12 year olds on a drilling rig" :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry i wasnt too specific about forced induction the first time. Nitrous Express is about 5 miles away from my house and everyone within 200 miles is all about it and it wasnt that bad at first but now its pissing me off. The blower cars at our track are dwindling. N/A the motor is around 450, so i had to throw in the weak sauce 150 shot. And catching second i didnt mean to single you out, but its just that i have had no support from anyone and this whole project has been done by me. I was just tired of hearing shit like that and had to let someone know about it. But just so you know, the short block for a blown 396 small block is in the works and it supposed to be a 600 hp street truck. So i'll keep you updated until i have a truck thats putting out 600 all the time.

so out of curiosity.. whats your motor combo on that 383..

and your building a 396 small block? lol
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by slow 89
    so out of curiosity.. whats your motor combo on that 383..

and your building a 396 small block? lol

I have seen cheater cranks 3.875 stroke with a 350 block with 4.030 bore which gives what is normally called a 395 ci although technically it would round up to a 396.