Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear End..Help!

if your gonna spend money on a weird stroker *besides the 383 * why not just go nuts and build one of those 427 or 454 small blocks..
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Slow Ride
    skip the small blocks and just build a big cheif headed 632. That could handle a multi stage 500+hp N2O system.

4.030x3.75 with ported stock heads with 2.08/1.60, .510/.510 244/244 duration, 1.6 roller rockers, 10:1 flat tops, 5.7" rods, single plane intake, and I should be expecting hell for this, EPS 800cfm. All this through a TH400 with the stock open 3.08 7.5...hey didnt i ask for some help with rear end possibilities? it started out as a truck for the street and then i stopped driving it in the winter cuz the interior is pretty much stripped aluminum so no AC or radio or heater. Then i planned on selling it after a cam swap due to only 13 lobes remaining on my former cam which required taking the whole front end off. Now that it is running again, i put the NX Hitman plate and iceman solenoids on it and i was mainly just gonna take it to the track and drive it on sunny days. i know that that extra 150 instantly hitting the rear end wont last, which is why i came to this forum in the first place just to be criticized. And i applaud whoever that was for his knowledge of the 3.875 crank. I know that it is really a 395 but i wanted to say 396 so it would sound like a big block. Sorry for any confusion. Need to know anything else about the truck now that its out in the open?

Slow Ride
    I have a Currie 9+ rear end. I am very happy with it and probably will never break it.

yea lemme see a dyno sheet that shows that combo making 450 HP on motor.. cuz with that combo.. i dont see anything over 350-375.. especially on *stock* heads w/ port work
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by Collin383
    And i applaud whoever that was for his knowledge of the 3.875 crank. I know that it is really a 395 but i wanted to say 396 so it would sound like a big block. Sorry for any confusion. Need to know anything else about the truck now that its out in the open?
    I've raced and own a variety of toys and follow NHRA competition eliminator class racing so I keep track of different motor combos.

I think your future posts will be recieved alot better since you've provided details like you did.

Sorry for the rough start but if you hang around BL its a fun place... with most of the technical forums pretty real and the bullshit kept in the general Chat or off topic area.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    I say somebody's been playing with Dyno 2000 a little.

Didn't know that stock heads could be brought out to a 2.08 valve.... hell, I didn't know that stock heads could produce 450 NA horsepower.

Anyways, have fun here on Blazin Low. I look forward to reading your posts.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

I'll throw my $.02 on this. No stock rear end will bolt up, expect a s-10 rear end. Less a custom aftermarket one. An 8.5" from a newer 2wd truck is gonna be the strongest.

a 8.5" from a newer 4wd ZR1 will not fit a 2wd 1st gen. Its about as wide as a fullsize truck rear.

Not to jump on the flame bandwagon, but around here, its mostly put up, or shut up.... I'd guess the motor to be around 400-415 max. Stock heads are holding you back bigtime. They might not even flow enough for the extra power from the NX kit.

With a 450 hp stroker in a truck, even a set of slicks aint gonna cut it. Your gonna need some suspension mods, traction bars, etc. Your just gonna spin those tires, so breaking the rears not really a concern. Epecially with the hit of the button. Start pulling like a 1.80 or better 60 ft, then start worrying.

Cheapest and strongest thing IMO for the 7.5, throw in a mini spool. Beat that till it blows.

396's I see are more common with the LT1 fbody guys for some reason. I think thats about close the biggest you can go with a stock 350 block.

The 427+ small blocks usually require an aftermarket block, like the Motown or Dart. Some of which, not sure if both, are a raised camshaft block for more crank stroke clearance.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Slow Ride
    Originally posted by Collin383
    4.030x3.75 with ported stock heads with 2.08/1.60, .510/.510 244/244 duration, 1.6 roller rockers, 10:1 flat tops, 5.7" rods, single plane intake, and I should be expecting hell for this, EPS 800cfm.
    I need you to build me an engine!!!! I'm only making 400-450 hp and I've got 70 more cubes(4.250 x 4.00). 2.07/1.72 canted valves in pocket ported Vortec heads, MUCH larger runners, and a .527/.540 lift roller cam.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer

396's I see are more common with the LT1 fbody guys for some reason. I think thats about close the biggest you can go with a stock 350 block.
    There are a few running a 401 CI which is a 0.060 over bore. (Technically it rounds to a 402) I've seen some claim even 403 ......................... still in the stock 350 block.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    I say somebody's been playing with Dyno 2000 a little.

Didn't know that stock heads could be brought out to a 2.08 valve.... hell, I didn't know that stock heads could produce 450 NA horsepower.

Anyways, have fun here on Blazin Low. I look forward to reading your posts.
    The biggest intake valve I've seen for a SBC is a 2.125 so theres still more HP left................ on the PC at least

Well if the only shop around here with a dyno wasnt $125 or $150 for a couple of pulls i would have some dyno sheets for you. The motor was 425 with a wee little cam and stock 1.5 rocker arms so 450 was a guess. I'll let you know after i get it back on the dyno but now that school has started that $150 might take a while to get. But if yall really dont believe me send me a donation so i can get it on the dyno faster!

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    So you spent all your money on building the engine and now can't afford to spend $150 on a dyno run to prove your work paid off?......
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Nice try on the donations. LOL.

Go to a test and tune night at the track for $10.

Roll out of the hole, then jump on it so you don't break the rear.

Recognizing gearing , traction all make differences but more so in ET than speed. but at 3500 pounds including driver and 600 hp you should be running roughly a 130 mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile.

Make sure your track doesn't fake the MPH. Look for two sets of timing eyes, one at the finish line and the other 66 ft before. Possibly a third set of lights 66 feet after. If you have the 3rd set continue to accelerate past them to get your best numbers! Some smaller tracks cheat and use a lookup table based solely on ET.... so a given ET always gets the same speed.

For the record at 3500 pounds and 600 hp that should be about a 10.5 sec. pass if your chassis is average.

I could make $100 a day workin during the summer and now that school has started i get to work maybe 2 hours a week. Sorry i dont have a consistent budget to spend on this truck. And my dad paid for some of the stuff on the truck...you know a father son bonding project. the closest 1/4 is bout 2 hrs. away. But there is an 1/8 mile 15 minutes away that i go to sometimes. Fastest time....9.73 and it would have been one of the best burn out videos ever viewed. It was on street tires that were probably over inflated so there was no hope for any kind of traction at all. If i remember correctly i asked about a rear end and i was plannin on taking a leaf or two out to bring the times down to where they should be.