Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust is quiet but why?

Exhaust is quiet but why?

My exhaust is stock before the muffler, but then I have a flowmaster 40 series and a 2 1/2" pipe ran out to the stock location.

My buddy has a 1968 Ford Mustang with a 200 cubic Inch inline 6, and he has a flowmaster 40 series welded in place of the stock muffler...his exhaust sounds sweet, really close to a V8 sound, at idle you have to speak up inorder to hear each other because of how loud it is.

We both have the same muffler. Now I know he has no cat, but would not havnig a cat really make it 5 times louder than what mine is? His exhaust sounds so sweet....I want mine to sound like his. Again, his is 100% stock just with a muffler welded in.

Tons of vaiables. If it was another 4.3, then you could compare them.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

lets keep this on the down-low, but my muffler fell off a few weeks back, and I said "To hell with it" and just kept going.

But now, my blazer sounds like some rednecks truck. Its actually pretty sweet, because it sounds powerful....and isnt.

I was thinking I need to get a new muffler.

The relevance to this post, is that, no matter what you add onto the exhaust, the car is only gonna be as loud as it was to begin with, plus a LITTLE louder for whatever you put on there. Want it louder? I dont think its happening.
    Listen, I just want my truck to last till next year.
    Just one more year baby.
    And next year I say the same thing.

Originally posted by Stir-Fry
    lets keep this on the down-low, but my muffler fell off a few weeks back, and I said "To hell with it" and just kept going.

But now, my blazer sounds like some rednecks truck. Its actually pretty sweet, because it sounds powerful....and isnt.

I was thinking I need to get a new muffler.

The relevance to this post, is that, no matter what you add onto the exhaust, the car is only gonna be as loud as it was to begin with, plus a LITTLE louder for whatever you put on there. Want it louder? I dont think its happening.

uhm.. you dont have any idea what your talking about.. the point of an aftermarket muffler is usually to make a vehicle louder.. so i dont see why your saying its not possible :confused:

CB.. like zz4 said theres tons of varibles a cat will quiet it down but that THAT much also if its clogged it will make it more quiet.. but you said ran to the stock location.. meaning your tailpipe rite? because also the longer the tailpipe you have the quieter it will be so if he has dumps on the stang that will also make it louder then yours..
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by slow 89
    uhm.. you dont have any idea what your talking about.. the point of an aftermarket muffler is usually to make a vehicle louder.. so i dont see why your saying its not possible :confused:

CB.. like zz4 said theres tons of varibles a cat will quiet it down but that THAT much also if its clogged it will make it more quiet.. but you said ran to the stock location.. meaning your tailpipe rite? because also the longer the tailpipe you have the quieter it will be so if he has dumps on the stang that will also make it louder then yours..
    Yeah, i thought about that, but he has a full tail pipe just like I do, and yet his is still louder. He even had one of those "log" style exhaust manifolds.

dont you have issues with your cat? i seem to remember a thread about it. that could a be a lot of your problem right there.
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

Originally posted by 91blazin2last
    dont you have issues with your cat? i seem to remember a thread about it. that could a be a lot of your problem right there.
    Yeah, but everyone I've gone to said its flowing perfectly fine so i dunno :confused:

i have a 40 series on my 93 4.3 blazer with a turndown. it is loud as fock. sound just like a big v8. my 88 2.8 blazer has the same. it is alot quieter. do you have a factory cat or is it aftermarket?
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

when i replace my mulfers it was quiet at first but after a year they finally got burnt out and are sounding louder everday

that usually happends w/ turbo style mufflers .. thats what i have on my camaro after about 5-6 months of abuse they start to sound good :bigthumb:
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

My truck is a little different since it has a v8, but I can use comparisons..

My truck has cats, true duals, and tailpipes that dump out the side right behind the wheels compared to zz4's with no cats and an x-pipe and 2 turndowns (well, one turndown, LOL, and a straight thing).. But anyways, ZZ4's is probably maybe 1 and a half times louder than my truck is at idle.. I"m sure that it has to do with the more aggressive camshaft and other motor components as well as the x pipe and turn downs..

But, if I was to compare my truck to my buddies 89 Camaro with the 5.0, my truck sounds WAY more mean..

Like they said above, there are just too many variables when the cars have the SAME engine, and even more variables when its an entirely differnet line, make, and model of vehicle.
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Originally posted by blazer_1994
    when i replace my mulfers it was quiet at first but after a year they finally got burnt out and are sounding louder everday

Flowy's just have baffles in them. No insulation or anything to get broken in.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Re: Exhaust is quiet but why?

Originally posted by CBZED101
    My exhaust is stock before the muffler, but then I have a flowmaster 40 series and a 2 1/2" pipe ran out to the stock location.

My buddy has a 1968 Ford Mustang with a 200 cubic Inch inline 6, and he has a flowmaster 40 series welded in place of the stock muffler...his exhaust sounds sweet, really close to a V8 sound, at idle you have to speak up inorder to hear each other because of how loud it is.

We both have the same muffler. Now I know he has no cat, but would not havnig a cat really make it 5 times louder than what mine is? His exhaust sounds so sweet....I want mine to sound like his. Again, his is 100% stock just with a muffler welded in.
    The catalytic converter on your blazer can reduce the noise alot. Do you still have it on there? Never mind, you do... get rid of it or at least punch it out!

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Originally posted by syclonekid43
    i have a 40 series on my 93 4.3 blazer with a turndown. it is loud as fock. sound just like a big v8.

me too i had it with the stock pipe after the muffler and it was quiet.. i was pissed and wanted it louder so i experimented and ripped that pipe off after the muffler and put a turndown instead and wow i couldnt belive the difference.. it sounds so mean.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Originally posted by Stir-Fry

Ummmm.... what?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo