Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust is quiet but why?

Your all talking about a turn down...and yes, I know, I used to have a turn down and yes it was loud...but I would like mine to be loud with a full exhaust pipe..that way i can pass inspection.

Banned
    yeah its the motor, i dont know if its the bore and stroke or compression or what but yeah, put lets say a stock tbi 350 with the same exhaust and its like 1 1/4 louder.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    what kind of exhaust pipe did u have on it? was it mandrel bent? or stock (autozone, advance) replacement pipes that have all those ripples in the bends.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    what kind of exhaust pipe did u have on it? was it mandrel bent? or stock (autozone, advance) replacement pipes that have all those ripples in the bends.
    the ripples and bends one.

do away with the shitty bends and get mandrel...also..remove your converter...it actually restricts sound pretty good. Also check for exhaust leaks before the muffler. ;) is your flowmaster newer than his?

stock piping has some nasty bends around the Y-pipe along with the ripples and bends type. When I had my exhaust work done, there was an astro with a 4.3 and he was getting a flow 40 installed. He said to try it with and without the cat and the shop did both. I listened to both and removing the cat sounded much better. Sounds like my v8 only a bit quieter and smoother, but that's because my exhaust is loud as fuck. I dump mine right after the doors. Hollow out the cat, you never know. if you fuck something up or if u want to pass inspection, you can get a Catco for like $45 on ebay

Banned
    so removing the cat is actually noticible in sound? I have a pipe welded up and ready to put on, i just have to get the nerve to put it on, the torsion bar crossmember is like 1 inch away from the cat. and i have to cram a grinding disk or sawzaw in there:(

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Originally posted by Stir-Fry
    lets keep this on the down-low, but my muffler fell off a few weeks back, and I said "To hell with it" and just kept going.

But now, my blazer sounds like some rednecks truck. Its actually pretty sweet, because it sounds powerful....and isnt.

I was thinking I need to get a new muffler.

The relevance to this post, is that, no matter what you add onto the exhaust, the car is only gonna be as loud as it was to begin with, plus a LITTLE louder for whatever you put on there. Want it louder? I dont think its happening.
    He's apparently never heard a blown-out glasspack before? LOL. My 4x4 2.8 sounds like a pissed off weed-eater...