Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '93 CPI problems

'93 CPI problems

ok. i'm getting fed up with this, i'm about to open a can of whoop ass on my '93 jimmy.

ever since november '03, the truck has not run right. fuel pump died. replaced that and the filter. month later, truck started dying again. replaced ignition coil, module, cap and rotor. ran good for a bit, then died again. did plugs and wires. ran good again, then died. replaced injector. ran good, then it would 'kick' at times (like when you hit ice and lose traction, then grab traction again), and would usually die. i JUST replaced the two fuel lines inside the intake. ran good, decided to take it to work today, and i got about 5 miles away, and it started to 'kick' again.

when it died before, it just stopped running, you couldn't even tell it died until you hit the gas pedal and it didn't do anything.

does ANYBODY have any ideas??? i got a few months to get this thing fixed, and running right, or find another vehicle to drive and sell this off.

built not bought pimpinblazer89's Avatar
    vortec motors suck

did u check your fuel pump?
    Jeff
    89 4x4 blazer slammed shaved
    83 2wd blazer stock << frame for my 89
    85 olds 98 daily driver

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pimpinblazer89

AIM: pimpinblazer89

Originally posted by pimpinblazer89
    vortec motors suck

did u check your fuel pump?
    it's been replaced already.

does it run rough? maybe it's the egr valve
    AIM-Tdevil9999

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    "Kicking" is sometimes a symptom of torque converter malfunction. Make sure that all of the wires going to your transmission are good and tightly plugged in.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

If the kick is caused by fuel starvation. The fuel pump relay could be going bad. There are 2 relays on the driverside firewall. My 93 Jimmy wouldn't start sometimes. It got worse over the next few months. I replaced both relays and the problem went away. I think the relays were around $9 each. It turned out that only 1 was bad, but I replaced both since they were the same age and I figured the other one would be going out eventually.

I've only had one torque converter go bad. That was 13 years ago in my 85 S10. When it went out it slipped allot. I would try to accelerate and it would just spin.

A locking converter will sometimes lock and unlock when you are running at the speed where it is designed to lock up. That speed is around 40 to 45 mph. But the engine doesn't usually die. Catching Second is right about checking the wires. The transmission in your Jimmy is computer controlled. If the wires are bad or have bad connections the converter lock up may be cycling

Pimp,
    So far my CPI motor has run great. It's the highest horsepower 4.3 ever put in an S10 type truck. Looks good, sounds good, plenty of power and gets 21mpg on the highway at 75mph.
    BOBH

93 2wd 4d Jimmy, 92 Sonoma Xcab, 4.3 5 speed

Originally posted by scrappy24
    does it run rough? maybe it's the egr valve
    it has a slightly rough idle, but nothing i've ever not noticed, even before all these problems. and the EGR has been cleaned.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    "Kicking" is sometimes a symptom of torque converter malfunction. Make sure that all of the wires going to your transmission are good and tightly plugged in.
    the TC was mentioned to me, but as bobh said below, that wouldn't make the engine die.

Originally posted by bobh
    If the kick is caused by fuel starvation. The fuel pump relay could be going bad. There are 2 relays on the driverside firewall. My 93 Jimmy wouldn't start sometimes. It got worse over the next few months. I replaced both relays and the problem went away. I think the relays were around $9 each. It turned out that only 1 was bad, but I replaced both since they were the same age and I figured the other one would be going out eventually.

I've only had one torque converter go bad. That was 13 years ago in my 85 S10. When it went out it slipped allot. I would try to accelerate and it would just spin.

A locking converter will sometimes lock and unlock when you are running at the speed where it is designed to lock up. That speed is around 40 to 45 mph. But the engine doesn't usually die. Catching Second is right about checking the wires. The transmission in your Jimmy is computer controlled. If the wires are bad or have bad connections the converter lock up may be cycling

Pimp,
    So far my CPI motor has run great. It's the highest horsepower 4.3 ever put in an S10 type truck. Looks good, sounds good, plenty of power and gets 21mpg on the highway at 75mph.
    as for the relays, are they just standard relays, or do i have to goto a dealer to get them?

i would love to keep this truck, but if i cannot figure out why this problem persists, i will have no choice but to sell it. :(

The relays are a Delco part. I'll check the part number (if it's visible) during my lunch break and post it in another reply.
    I don't remember if I bought them from the dealer or a Delco parts house. Usually the Delco parts house is about 30-50% cheaper.

When I first bought the Jimmy it ran really rough. I thought it was just in need of a tune up. After plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter... It still ran rough. I cleaned the EGR but it was still not running right. I found the 1/2 inch vacuum line that runs from the drivers side valve cover to the air filter housing was not connected to the air cleaner housing. I pushed it onto the fitting and it ran great. In fact it ran better than I expected. Between the extra HP and the 3:42 gears it was considerably faster than my 5 speed Sonoma ( 3:08 gears)

It had 50K miles when I bought it 2 years ago. It has 82K now. Still fun to drive.
    BOBH

i will double check all the vacuum lines when i get home tonight, make sure they are goin to the valvecovers and ish like they are supposed to.

i think i put them back on, but i was excited to have it running again, i might have forgotten them. heh.

The numbers on the relays are partially worn off. I kept the good one as a spare. I'll check it when I get home.
    BOBH

Free and easy test is to swap the 2 relays around. 1 is for the fuel pump and the other is usually for the A/C. If it runs well and the A/C quits then it was the relay.

Check this post for troubleshooting wiring problems for the fuel pump.
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/show...;threadid=34285

Originally posted by stretch59
    Free and easy test is to swap the 2 relays around. 1 is for the fuel pump and the other is usually for the A/C. If it runs well and the A/C quits then it was the relay.
    i'll swap those if i have time tonight.

Originally posted by stretch59
    Check this post for troubleshooting wiring problems for the fuel pump.
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/show...;threadid=34285
    page not found

The part number from the relay box is 10034222

Like everything else it's made in China so the box is plain white and the part number is hard to read.

Let us know when you find the cause.
    BOBH

i did the test per my haynes repair manual, and the fuel pump relay is good according to that test.

i went and bought a pcv valve, and put that on. truck now runs smooth, no more rough idle.

could that have been the problem with it cuttin out?

Originally posted by y2k xtreme
    i did the test per my haynes repair manual, and the fuel pump relay is good according to that test.

i went and bought a pcv valve, and put that on. truck now runs smooth, no more rough idle.

could that have been the problem with it cuttin out?
    well, i answered my question today. it managed to die on me today :( luckily i was on a side road waiting for traffic to clear, and it fired right back up.