Thread: 2.8 that could & the 700R4 that couldn't

Knob Noster Occupation: Pimping you out. Photoshop Diety.

2.8 that could & the 700R4 that couldn't

Not much for discussion, but I was using my daily driver....driving back from college one friday afternoon. I got to the light, and a little honda w/ a coffee can for an exhaust pipe and a cute little wing on the back pulls up next to me. He starts revving his wound up mouse (engine to some of you).......so I smiled and waved it off. He takes off, and I think to myself, I can take that..... So at the next light, we both floor it, and my little 2.8 is keeping up w/ him, and we hit the light. Light changes, we floor it, and now we're getting on the interstate....speedometer on my s-10 goes to 85.....I can't see my little peg anymore, and the honda is sitting behind me. And the next few moments are a little fuzzy, it all happened so fast....the honda goes to pass me, apparently thinking he's Mr. Fast.... :D , and then it feels like my truck shifts into a new gear, and the next thing I know, sparks are flying all over the place behind me, and I start slowing down, really quick.....I got out and looked under my truck to see in my horror.....part of a transmission, w/ a nice head sized hole int he pan, and what appears to be a drive shaft stuck up into my bed.....good thing that tailgate stopped it eh? Now, along w/ my trail of sparks, I also managed to pull up what I estimated to be around 30 lbs of asphalt. It was in the way. Now out of sheer amazement, the guy in the honda came back, and luckily gave me a ride back to my dorm, and I called a tow truck and my father, who was not too impressed.....

moral of the story.....beware the mighty power of a 2.8....

haha

later

I have a 2 door 85 blazer that i love!! its got a 2.8 with a 700R-4 tranny just like most all 1st generation blazers! it slow but it gets the job done. My tranny just went out and I dont know if i want to put a 700 back in or a better one like a turbo 3500 I need some help from some one who has a little experience with the subject. Also I am going to upgrade the motor probly to a 350 or a 383 but im still not sure but I need some input!
    THANX!

Knob Noster Occupation: Pimping you out. Photoshop Diety.
    Aintnormal,

You could replace the 700r4, but those are relatively expensive transmissions. Plus I would suggest getting a 87-present 700r4 b/c in 87 they changed a few things and made them a lot more dependable.

BUT!!!

if you're thinking of a v8 conversion, I would recommend the th350, and if you're like me, you can get the tranny soon, but the engine will be on delay, so whatcha wanna do, is get a 27 spline th350 w/ the 9 3/4" lengthed rear shaft. This will fit on the 2.8, and you should be able to use the original driveshaft...:)

But don't expect much get up and go, the gear ratio provides a drop in power in first gear......

Just a little info, and here's a site that will help you out greatly700r4 replacement w/ the 350 turbo page :)

later

2.8L sugjestions

hey any of you guys got a sugestion ona good tranny for my 2.8L? i reallyl dotn want my blazer to go super fast b/c iknow its a tiny motor for the truck anyway... but all i really want is just a little punch.. b/c u just got a brand new 2.8L and i just wanted to play around with it since its brand new.. so if you guys got any sugestion for me as of trannys intakes exaust etc just let me know please... i just want to represent the blazer world... and if ya guys can give me aproximate prices please... thanx guys...
    OB

draggin rocker member clean n low 84's Avatar

700r4's suck!

I was rally-ing the piss outta my blaze with the music blairing so loud i didn't hear my tranny shredding to peice's!! i just thought that all the bumpin around was from the shitty road but it turn out to be my gears getting throwen every which way and ripping apart my casing!! well i learned that one the hard way 1,600 bucks later..i had to get a whole new tranny cause it was un-rebuildable cause of the job i did on it! but the new tranny is way more soild and ready for a 327 or 350..maybe 383.

tranny's suck!:D

Creative Genius
    SHIT! That worries me a bit. I'm baggin my truck fairly hard this winter on the ice and I've started to notice it starting to shake a bit when the tires spin, I might have to take her easy now :(

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    My '88 just hit 100,000 within the last week and tranny #4 is ready to go in. The tranny in it when I bought it lasted about 2 weeks. The didnt bother me because the lot I bought it from put one in with 62k miles on it (so they said) That one lasted a few years and about 9 months ago it died on a rather lengthy trip. Its been proven before but that peg is S'POSED to stop at 85 on the speedo I think.... so that one was shot to hell. I put one in after that which claimed to have only 50k miles it and rebuilt. I trust what this guy was tellin me up until a few months ago. My tranny gets all new tranny fluid about every 3 days it leaks so bad. I have changed every gasket and even bought a brand new pan straight from GM. I have followed every torque instruction straight from GM on every bolt touching the tranny. It just leaking somewhere.. prolly a cracked housing. I would like to just get a BRAND new tranny.. but I can't afford the price tag... Maybe its time to set the blazer in the garage so it can get its make-over and go buy a little ricer I been wanting (dont laugh, I like all cars)

what tranny

then what tranny is good for our 2.8 then that wont f*** up on us.. b/c this is frustrating....... OB

even though 700 R4's f*%$#in suck The only good thing I have to say about mine is that my dad and I have owned from mile 1 and it went to 256,789 miles and thats a shite load when it comes to a 2.8 with a 700-R4 but now it is time to upgrade like it is time to bomb BINLADIN!

the 700R4

so the 700R4 is my best bet hu.... ?
    OB