Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on dropping weight?

Any ideas on dropping weight?

I think my trucks just a pig. I haven't gotten a chance to weigh it, but Im guessing its around 36-3700 lbs.

6 speed, bigger brakes, added electronics, line lock, thicker sway bars, driveshaft loop, nitrous stuff, etc...all add up to extra weight.

Im about out of ideas. Im still keeping my heat, power steering, brakes, all the add on performance stuff I've already done, etc.

I've got aluminum parts where I can, heads, intake, and front calipers. I know when I put the rear discs on, they'll weigh less than the drums. But, I think the added weight of the 8.5" rear will offset the weight loss.

Im not gonna throw in some hard ass thin aluminum racing seats, my truck still a driver.

Already lost the back seat.

Bout the only thing I can think of is an aluminum water pump for just a few on the front of the motor.

Wheels Im not too worried about, since I swap them at the track anyways. Same with subs, they come out when I go legal racing.

Anything Ive over looked? Anything practical?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

fiberglass: hood,fenders,bumpers etc. lexan instead of glass makes a huge difference also

pull out the interior piecs in the rear and start cutting metal out.. a lot of the truck is double walled and you dont really need it.. *unless you get in an accident* lol.. but you can really cut a lot of weight out and as long as you dont go nuts you can still put the interior pieces back in
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Jenny Craig? Seriously though, ALOT of people spend HOURS looking for 10lbs to drop from their vehicles but never realize that if they drop 10lbs from the driver, the combo is actually 10lbs lighter...
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

vader
    Sound deadening material under the carpet and behind all of the plastic interior panels. If it's got undercoating, get dirty and strip it. Manual windows are generally lighter than power.

Originally posted by Robo
    Jenny Craig? Seriously though, ALOT of people spend HOURS looking for 10lbs to drop from their vehicles but never realize that if they drop 10lbs from the driver, the combo is actually 10lbs lighter...
    LOL, Seriously. If I lost any weight, I woudln't be strong enough to push in the clutch.

Im 6", and 165 lbs!!!!

I know sound deadening isn't helping, but its already very loud in the truck. Not to mention, truck gets pretty hot inside.

Thought about fiberglass, but how much difference is it? I don't think my glass hood weighs hardly any less than my stock steel one.

I do need new front fenders though.
    Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 09-12-2004 at 05:58 PM.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    LOL, Seriously. If I lost any weight, I woudln't be strong enough to push in the clutch.

Im 6", and 165 lbs!!!!
    Damn dude, I only outweigh you by 10lbs, and I am also 6' even! Some people say I'm skinny, I prefer "sleek and aerodynamic"!
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

you could strip out the interior of the doors. take of bumper brackets in the front that connect the frame to the bumper.
    1987 s10 bazer v8 blazer
    2001 Camaro SS
    2006 saturn ion-2

member of Tony Low jax asses

vader
    Spare tire, jack etc.

No power windows, power locks, etc.

All the practical stuff I've yanked out. Like the spare, jack, etc.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

vader
    "Swiss Cheese" some of your body panels. Drag racers have been doing this for decades. Use a hole saw on the inside support braces on your tailgate, doors, fenders. They even used to go so far as to put a couple of hundred holes in their frames.

This is basically what Slow 89 said.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    No power windows, power locks, etc.

All the practical stuff I've yanked out. Like the spare, jack, etc.
    Perfect idea, drop that enormously heavy 350, send it to me and I'll trade you my VERY light 4.3!!!

Originally posted by vader
    "Swiss Cheese" some of your body panels. Drag racers have been doing this for decades. Use a hole saw on the inside support braces on your tailgate, doors, fenders. They even used to go so far as to put a couple of hundred holes in their frames.

This is basically what Slow 89 said.
    Thats what I was going to say too. Go crazy on your frame with a hole saw. Should be good for a few pounds.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Yea, if you want to turn your chassis into a pretzel.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

hahaha... yeah id be afraid of cutting any holes in a frame

what about an aluminum block?
    85 sbc blazer