Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on dropping weight?

Originally posted by pr1mo360
    fiberglass: hood,fenders,bumpers etc. lexan instead of glass makes a huge difference also
    if you're really serious about dropping weight, i would say that swapping out your glass would be the best way also.....there is alot of it in blazers.............the window struts on the back of my blazer went out and so i have to hold it up with my hand (or a just clamp vise grips of the strut) and it's pretty damn heavy for a piece of glass..........

i'm not sure about aerodynamics but maybe you could just completely remove the rear window when you race.....i'm sure that be at least 10 lbs........i can't imagine how heavy those two big side windows are and the windshield

the glass hood you have is probably heavier then a factory hood.. cuz i believe you have the cervinis hood.. if you got a pin on one there SUPER light and youll save some weight that way.. they also make glass fenders which i wouldnt worry about too much there stock ones aernt that heavy.. but you can only go so far.. if you really wanna go nuts cut out the floor and get alum. floor pans
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    I have a harwood hood and it is so light that if i just drop it from any point it will not come down with enough force to latch itself shut, i have to push it down to get it to latch. lexan side mirros are not practical but a back window is no big deal. swiss cheesing is a hell of a lot of work for a street car, fiberglass fender will help. look for anything underhood that can be removed, wheel wells, emissions junk. Like slow 89 said theres lots of extra metal that is there only for your safety, that can all be removed. the sound deadening is not too heavy so i would not worry about it

I got new carpet from ACC and it made a huge weight difference
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

i was going to say the wheel wells and fiberglass front end.also run as little gas in tank as possible. running a full tank just adds weight.

Originally posted by m8w6r77
    running a full tank just adds weight.

It also helps with traction though too, being behind the axle.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

rollin holy member
    get an aluminum or carbor fiber chasiss, an aluminum block, aluminium roll cage and all carbon fiber body panels (or aluminum) that ought to take off a good 1200 pounds

Originally posted by dcblaze
    get an aluminum or carbor fiber chasiss, an aluminum block, aluminium roll cage and all carbon fiber body panels (or aluminum) that ought to take off a good 1200 pounds

:rolleyes: :gay:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

vader
    get a gear reduction starter, lighter than stock starters.

I have used lawn tractor batteries on automotive applications before to save some weight, I am not sure if it will work on your application though...
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

I thought about a smaller battery. But, with all the added electronics I've got, plus the stereo, and the underdrive pulleys slowing everything down, once in a while I have a hard time charging.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

vader
    Switch to manual breaks and steering. I'm doing that over this winter, but I may even put a manual rack and pinion set-up in if time allows.

www.up22.com they have glass fenders and bumpers. i got 2 hood from them and they were light as hell and the lasted even after i sold the truck.
    do you have a back bumper or a pan? sorry if it was asked already
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

How well did the glass fenders fit? I just got a new smooth front bumper, unless someone wants to take it off my hands, I'll probably stick with that.

Ive spend a lot of time on getting the truck to handle decently, and to stop. Chances of my going to manual are ZERO.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

i never used the fenders from them. i only used the hood. which both of the ones i got. they fit better than stock. they also have a flip nose kit.
    what are you looking to get for the frint bumper?
    i might take it off your hands if the price is right.
    moneys a bit tight right now im saving up for my bags
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD