Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Paralell Or Triangulated

a forward 4 link is the best link ive seen in person but go to totallypolished.com and check out the watts link.... that thing is fucking awsome looking and by the looks blows any 2,3,4,5, and 6 link out the water
    Just when you thought i faded away, I came back harder then ever...

Originally posted by Workin_on_it
    a forward 4 link is the best link ive seen in person but go to totallypolished.com and check out the watts link.... that thing is fucking awsome looking and by the looks blows any 2,3,4,5, and 6 link out the water
    A watts link has nothing to do with whether it is a 2,3,4,5,6 link or not.

And it does not induce less body movement than a wishbone or diagonal link.

Watts link is best centering solution out there........................ but that site is getting some huge dollars for a 2 link with a a fancy centering device.

holy crap.. $500 for the watts link.. thats insane
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by slow 89
    holy crap.. $500 for the watts link.. thats insane

but its polished!

building a watts link wouldn't be too hard would it? it seems to be very effective at keeping hte axle centered and also does it help with pinion angle? if so i want one!
    NEW RIDE 89 s10 std cab shortbed 2.5 5 speed 2WD slammed 6/5
    90 4x4 2dr, primer, 18's, 4.3, rollpan, 6/6 slam, SOLD
    The only ford i would drive is a courier!

Originally posted by bmxr4life87
    building a watts link wouldn't be too hard would it? it seems to be very effective at keeping hte axle centered and also does it help with pinion angle? if so i want one!
    Watts link has nothing to do with pinion angle, it is only a centering device. It is the best centering device because it controls the sideways forces directly, just like a panhard bar but with out the body roll. Wishbones, diagonal links, 3 links and triangulated 4 links all control the sideways forces at points 14 to 24 inches away from the sideways force generated by the rear end during cornering.

Pinion angle is controlled by the bars that locate the axle front to rear and determine the arc during up down. Pinion angle change is created when the top bars "arc" differently relative to the bottom bars. this is where a 50/50 has problems theortically because one arc is forward "(" and the other arc is backwards ")".

A 2 link or ladder bar arc is just )

A 4 link is ) and ), both forward with the arcs only being different by the difference between the upper and lower link lengths.

A parallel 4 link with a watts link or wishbone is the best for tunability IMO as it allows you to maintain consistant pinion angle and with multiple holes in the 4 link plates, allows adjustment of the Instant Center. The instant center is the theortecal lifting point on the chassis and is determined by extending imaginary lines along your upper and lower bars until they cross. Normally this should be somewhere around the motor.

I see how this watt’s link keeps side/side alined but how does it stop the axle from moving backwards when accelerating or forwards when braking… is there a 2-link attached as well as that? Or do those “weak-looking” links keep it centered forward/backwards too? Seems like they would snap from the force.
    1986 S15 Jimmy Bagged and Driven regularly
    Vehicles are meant to be driven not trailer’d

a watts link is an add-on like a panhard bar, its only designed to stop body roll, you still need a normal link from what i understand! also to keep pinion angle change minimal you would wnat your upper and lower bars to be pretty close in length?
    NEW RIDE 89 s10 std cab shortbed 2.5 5 speed 2WD slammed 6/5
    90 4x4 2dr, primer, 18's, 4.3, rollpan, 6/6 slam, SOLD
    The only ford i would drive is a courier!

Originally posted by bmxr4life87
    a watts link is an add-on like a panhard bar, its only designed to stop body roll, you still need a normal link from what i understand! also to keep pinion angle change minimal you would wnat your upper and lower bars to be pretty close in length?
    Not quite. we might have a terminology problem. A sway bar stops body roll. The watts link only centers the rear underneath the body side to side.

The length of the upper and lower bars is actually a tuning factor in how a drag car launches. You can actually adjust the lenght of one of the 4 bars of a parallel 4 link to help "straighten" the launch out.

In theory they should be the same, In practice the top is usually slightly shorter because the angle of the seat or the frame kick up sets that angle.

ahhh I see, so a 4 link is skill required... 2 lower links wouldn't be enough because the axle would roll... so the best set up with the watt's link whould ba a parallel 4-link... wow there is just too many ways to set up the rear susp.. thanks for the info.

Originally posted by NEO
    ahhh I see, so a 4 link is skill required... 2 lower links wouldn't be enough because the axle would roll... so the best set up with the watt's link whould ba a parallel 4-link... wow there is just too many ways to set up the rear susp.. thanks for the info.

a 2 link or ladder bars is basically the "lower links" with the axle rigidly mounted to them .............with some centering device.

Ladder bars have an advantage in that the rear rod ends allow fine adjustment of pinion angle. Often ladder bars have multiple front mounting holes for some minor chassis launching adjustment.

In this pic, you can see the ladder bars are mounted in the center of the holes. This truck is running a diagonal link for a centering device.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sorry if i'm being a pain but it still doesn't make sense to me... the watt's link will keep the side to side, and the 2 lower bars (ladder bars) hold the axle from front to back, that makes sense but i sill think that the axle would "roll" unless the ladder bars square like and bolded on like a leaf with the back end cut off... that probably made no sense... if your looking at the side with the wheel removed what i see is the axle rotating in a clock wise or counter clock wise direction because the ladder bars are mounted below the axle, unless if you had one ladder bar to the top of the axle and one to the bottom...

now Ive confused myself... haha

I haven't done a 2 link but I beleive most 2 links are just super beefy square tubing and the rear end housing is held on with u-bolts.

In the attached picture of the rear portion of my ladder bars, you can see that brackets are welded to the housing and there are 3 rod ends per ladder bar, top rear, bottom rear and one in the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by NEO
    sorry if i'm being a pain but it still doesn't make sense to me... the watt's link will keep the side to side, and the 2 lower bars (ladder bars) hold the axle from front to back, that makes sense but i sill think that the axle would "roll" unless the ladder bars square like and bolded on like a leaf with the back end cut off... that probably made no sense... if your looking at the side with the wheel removed what i see is the axle rotating in a clock wise or counter clock wise direction because the ladder bars are mounted below the axle, unless if you had one ladder bar to the top of the axle and one to the bottom...

now Ive confused myself... haha

i understand what your sayin.. ladder bars are solidly mounted in two spots on the axle *top and bottom* that way it can not twist... ladder bars are mainly designed for drag race only due tot he stress it puts on everything when your giong up an un-even surface like a driveway.. same goes for a 2 link rear.. not the best design
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber