Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paralell Or Triangulated

Originally posted by groundscr8pr
    why not a full reverse? do you have one on your truck? have you had one on any trucks? are giving this advice from experiance or what you heard from other internet fabricators?

sounds like an interview, LOL

Factory reversed 4 links? I don't know of any

Test out the theoretical instant center with a full reverse 4 link with a some power like a V8 :rofl:

Doesn't a 50 / 50 induce a pinion angle change since the top bar arcs away from the bottom bar?

it doesnt seem like mine does well atleast not ot the naked eye anyways... But what in the hell does a v8 have to do weather the bars are forward or backwards. Your basically saying the power will snap the bars if there backwards correct? well if there forward they would have the same amount of stress on them so i dont see what would make a difference.
    Just when you thought i faded away, I came back harder then ever...

Not worried about snapping things from shear force, as the bars are going to experience similar forces, although the configuration will be different in terms of which bars are under compression and which ones are under tension.

the difference is where power is applied to the chassis and how it hooks or wheel hops.

At the center of travel, your pinion angle change is minimized if your 50 /50 bars are slightly below parallel as thats where the radius's cross

the bottom line is i have a full reverse 4 link on a daily driven truck. i have put more than 10k on this setup. i have encountered almost every possible driving scenario and have seen no differance in hard braking or acceleration.i know ther are still other things to be dealt with like drive shaft plunge and pinion change. but with proper design and install these probs are very minimal.
    wicked to the bone i am
    you can meet me in the dark if you think im playin 4 DOOR LOVE

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Bottom line is that forward or reversed links are up to the fabricator. Through reading every possible arguement either way and using a bit of common sense I chose the forward link design. I read one example as a comparison one time that went something like this:

Comparing 4 links and brooms. You can run a 4 link either way and it will "work". You can push or pull a broom and it will sweep. But pulling the broom (forward links) will sweep smoother. eh, or something like that.

Now back on topic a bit. I know parallel bars would be better to maintain pinion angle but I think it would kill any side to side action. Is this true?

Bunny-Hoppin' Member
    Originally posted by groundscr8pr
    why not a full reverse? do you have one on your truck? have you had one on any trucks? are giving this advice from experiance or what you heard from other internet fabricators?
    Because the laws of physics say you will lose downforce on the rear tires during heavy braking and accelerating (especially accelerating) causing the tires to lose contact with the road easier.

No

No

I'm giving this advice based on what i have learned at college while completing my Mechanical Engineering degree and based on friend's trucks that have had problems.

I understand you have a reverse setup and you like it... great! I hope you never run into the problems i have seen. but that does not change the fact that reverse 4-links provide less traction than a full-forward. It's physics... bottom line.
    Drag Hard... Drag Often

1996 4-door Blazer, Shaved, Phantom grill, Chrome 2000 front bumper, 18" Lexani's w/Toyo Proxies, 2-12" Viper subs, 8-Premier 4-way surrounds (4-6 1/2's, 2 6x9's, 2 3x5's) Premier organic display head unit, 1000 watt sub amp, York belt-driven compressor, 8-1/2" GC 450 Extreme valves, 1/2" line, Air Lift Extreme bags, 12-gallon tank, 10 switches, 250+ psi, and PRIMER!!!

Bunny-Hoppin' Member
    Originally posted by s10blazed
    Now back on topic a bit. I know parallel bars would be better to maintain pinion angle but I think it would kill any side to side action. Is this true?
    That's a good question... i would think you would be able to have good sides with a parallel setup but i don't know for sure. I've never seen a truck with parallel bars hitting sides. Anyone else?
    Drag Hard... Drag Often

1996 4-door Blazer, Shaved, Phantom grill, Chrome 2000 front bumper, 18" Lexani's w/Toyo Proxies, 2-12" Viper subs, 8-Premier 4-way surrounds (4-6 1/2's, 2 6x9's, 2 3x5's) Premier organic display head unit, 1000 watt sub amp, York belt-driven compressor, 8-1/2" GC 450 Extreme valves, 1/2" line, Air Lift Extreme bags, 12-gallon tank, 10 switches, 250+ psi, and PRIMER!!!

Originally posted by NeverFinished96
    That's a good question... i would think you would be able to have good sides with a parallel setup but i don't know for sure. I've never seen a truck with parallel bars hitting sides. Anyone else?
    I beleive they would bind signifigantly at any bit of uneven-ness due to the type of joint they use. But I'm never witnessed it so I'm curious.

Comparing 4 links and brooms. You can run a 4 link either way and it will "work". You can push or pull a broom and it will sweep. But pulling the broom (forward links) will sweep smoother. eh, or something like that.

Thats a good one but I like...You can Pull a Rope but try pushing a rope and see if that works :bigthumb:
    No More 4 DOOR LOVE

what he said ^
    Just when you thought i faded away, I came back harder then ever...

Originally posted by Tyus4
    Thats a good one but I like...You can Pull a Rope but try pushing a rope and see if that works :bigthumb:
    I dont like the rope comparison because pushing a rope doesnt even fucking work. Especially not uphill. And technically reverse links work.....

2nd gen 4 dr 4link

i called chassis Tech today and they told me the make a BOLTON "roadgrader" for my 96 4 door. anyone know any thing about the Roadgrader?

iam havin a bitch time baggin my rear no one has shit 4 it and all the shops downsouth are tryin to tax to build a 4link. i finally found this hopefully it will work.

Re: 2nd gen 4 dr 4link

Originally posted by 9sixblazer
    anyone know any thing about the Roadgrader?
    I'm pretty familiar with it. What do you need to know?

I dont like the rope comparison because pushing a rope doesnt even fucking work. Especially not uphill. And technically reverse links work.....
    :bigthumb:

Regarding hitting sides the cheaper (but more durable bushed joints) joints will bind versus a rod end style 4 link.

IF you really want to get crazy, use the rod ends that the rock crawlers are using.

do you mean the swivel type joints? Like these ones that suicidedoors.com sells?

http://www.suicidedoors.com/products...ot_bar-end.htm

I wanted to use this type in my suspension when the time comes. I heard they die real quick without keeping them greased though.