Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy, need help

New toy, need help

My uncle just made a huge donation to the Blazer project. He gave me the 350 out of his 87 Suburban. (He is going bigger) Sorry to sound dumb here, (I used the search function for 3 hours but to no avail) but any suggestions for the tranny department? I want to go with an automatic setup with a floor shifter and a cable speedo. I am not planning on any huge HP mods to the engine, just a face lift. I though about going to the local salvage yard, but donít know what to ask for. Any help = good help.

PS I just ordered the JTR swap book to help me in further decisions.

Positively Negative
    700r4 if you want overdrive

th350 is you dont want overdrive

Maybe I should have been more spacific. Thoes are the 2 that I figured out in the search. The question being, are there certain years that meet my needs better than others?

I need some thing without electronic shift.
    Overdrive is nice but not needed.
    Is there a difference if it comes from a 2wd or 4wd?
    I need a cabel speedo.
    What vehicles do i ask for that came with this stock?

I was just wanting to know this info so i could go up to the counter and order what i need, and not what they feel they can sell me. Thanks for the replies.

in my opinion, I would go with the 350 tranny....I've had better experience with them then the 700r4....also, you might consider a 400turbo...they aren't bad if you add the upgraded shift kit.

Positively Negative
    Originally posted by *LO4U2NV*
    I need some thing without electronic shift.
    Overdrive is nice but not needed.
    Is there a difference if it comes from a 2wd or 4wd?
    I need a cabel speedo.
    What vehicles do i ask for that came with this stock?

neither the 700r4 nor the th350 are electronic shift

the 4wd tranny has a different tailshaft to allow the transfer case to connect to it

not sure about makes and models ... im thinking just about any chevy truck with a v8 or 4.3, 1987 or older ... im sure someone else will have better advice on what vehicles to look for

thanks for the replys guys. i have still been using the search feature, and think i have enough info now. Let me see if i got this right.

-I can make either one of them a floor shift just with using cabels
    -I need to get a 2wd tranny so i dont have to worry about the tailshaft
    -700r4 for overdrive
    -JTR makes the correct gearing for the speedo
    -Depending on motor mount location i might have to modify the tranny crossmember

XtremeDynamix.com
    look in the classifieds
    "Chevy Like A Rock"

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    If you're starting from scratch with this I would go with a 700R4. You'll get way better gas mileage, more acceleration (first gear is better), and they are a lot more efficient. A 700R4 uses electronics but only for the converter lock-up. It is simple to wire. Bow Tie Overdrives sells the wiring for them. Rigging up a floor shifter to one is simple (and needed when running headers in a S-10). Just flip through a Summit catelog and find a shifter you like that will work 700R4. It comes with all of the cables and mounting hardware.

The comparisons below are based on a stock engine running 9:1 compression (stock), low flow 160cc heads with 1.94/1.50 valves(stock), a stock cam, Edelbrock Performer intake manifold (face lift), and a Holley 600cfm vacuum secondary carburetor.

Gas Mileage
    If your truck has 3.42 gears with a...
    th350 you'd probably get around 11-13mpg.
    700R4 you'd probably get around 19-20mpg easy.

Power
    th350 torque (throw back in your seateness) would be decent with a stock engine.
    700R4 would be much better because of the lower first gear.

I am not one sided on this topic because I have a 700R4 either. I have a th350 in my truck. I like it for what I use it for... sometimes. You're not going to be racing every chance you get. You're just going to go for a little added power and some better looks. A 700R4 will keep you at good highway RPMs with better gas mileage and better low end power.

As for what vehicles had them... I know 1990 Chevy Suburbans have them. If you go to a junkyard, look for any Chevy with the overdrive symbol on the gear selector. If it's around 1994 and older... it's probably a 700R4.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Also... check out this site for 700R4 info. It's very helpful.

www.700r4.com
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Don't worry about what vehicles it came out as much as which tranny you want. If you ask a junk yard for a 700r4 and they don't know what you're talking about find a new junk yard.

Originally posted by s10blazed
    Don't worry about what vehicles it came out as much as which tranny you want. If you ask a junk yard for a 700r4 and they don't know what you're talking about find a new junk yard.
    true! :bigthumb:

Thx for all the help guys, i thought my thread was dead. With all the info i got from u guys and the JTR book, i think i got it. 700R4 it is, but the next question is, about the rear end? Is the stock rear end ok to go drive arround with (not rip and tare) As stated before i am not building a beefed up engine, but just getting the V8 for presentation. Going to be a showoff truck more than a speed demon.

Also take a look at www.v8s10.org lots of info and good forums there for your swap
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

It took me a pretty good while to tear my stock rear up. If you want good looks on the shifter go with the b&m hammer. I had one when i was auto and i loved it. One other thing the guys arent explaining is that when you go to rebuild a 700R4 you will regret it cause it costs about 700-800 to rebuild. you can get a TH350 rebuilt STRONG for less than 400 or atleast i can. Another disadvantage is if you ever want to go with a stall convertor they are higher for 700s also than 350s.
    Just a slow truck wanting to be as fast as others.

Originally posted by Catching Second
    A 700R4 uses electronics but only for the converter lock-up. It is simple to wire. Bow Tie Overdrives sells the wiring for them. Rigging up a floor shifter to one is simple (and needed when running headers in a S-10).
    The last part of your statement is simply not true I have a 700R4 with column shift and headers and it works just fine after a little tweaking of the linkage.A floor shifter is definately not a must have.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!