Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: misfire, smell gas

holeshot
    dude im stumped :\

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    That's why im offering 50 bucks for help
    recently, the reason I suspected electrical, it acts up more when it rains. missing during low acceleration 25-30, but if I romp on it its fine.
    No one on the road appreciates me having to keep it floored to keep it running : /
    The thing that baffles me is I can hold it at 85, or even 94 (governor at 95)
    and I can hold it at 60, but 65-70-75 if I hold it it misfires
    also if I have cruise set and go down a hill on the highway (where it trims the fuel a little) but I dont know what to check other than fuel pressure?

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    ok so your missing with a completely new top end and ignition system in a truck thats only 7 years old... maybe the camshaft or lifters are burnt warped cracked scratched or otherwise or stretched timing chain? hows about trying to change the gas tank, fuel sock, and filter? Possibly a vaccum problem loading you up with gas causing misfires and clogged cat? im tryin bro... givin you all i got its really hard to fix it without seeing and touching it. im not looking for money either just trying to help. maybe a snake or someshit crawled up your tailpipe and died... im serious ive seen it before...

Straight pipe
    o2 simulator
    3 new o2 sensors
    cut the tail off the muffler
    all new lifters, all new pushrods
    Moved the crank pulley and watched the cam, doesnt seem to be out of sync and there doesnt seem to be any play in either direction
    did fuel filter
    Havnt done the tank yet. I was hoping not to.
    Vacuum is strong, I can cap it and release it and listen to the rpm change. After I turn it off the vacuum in the accumulator is strong.

Fuel sock?

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    cams are sneaky problems they take a long time to go bad well not to long about a week or two then the engine stops running altogether so thats probably not the problem... the fuel sock is this kind of plastic mesh pre fuel filter in the gas tank it causes the same problems as a bad fuel filter ie hesitation, misfires etc its usually a dealer only part cost about 10 bucks you have to drop the tank its attached to the fuel pump/pickup depending if your fuel pump is in the tank or not which yours 95 percent chance is in the tank this is worth a try especially since your have a chance to clean out your gas tank the easy way to do that is if the hole is big enough to put your hand in put about 4 feet of heavy chain inside the tank with some kerosene in it half gallon or whatever and shake it around, but the fuel sock normally goes bad in much older vehicles, but you know hey why the hell not youve tried everything else. i dont know how well to do you are but if you have some excess $$$ good time to change the fuel pump to but they are kinda pricey sometimes.

holeshot
    also you might want to reconsider putting the cat back on its a $25,000 fine if they catch you... im serious i know its crazy... and the cat creates backpressure which most newer cars need to function properly this could cause misfires and burnt valves but its unlikely as long as the straight pipe you have goes all the way to the back of the truck.

i realy dont know man..you named pretty much of the same shit i was thinkin but like you said im not there...

did you ever take out the cam???

I did not remove the cam
    sometimes, like tonight for instance; a crisp 21oF I break the tires loose between first and second at like 50% throttle.
    Sometimes it scares me, its like the truck wants to leap forward faster than I can make it. Othertimes it barely moves. I just don't understand.
    F' the cat.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    you gonna look into the fuel sock?

To be honest with you...
    Its winter. And it sucks here.
    Spring is when I commence big repairs like dropping the tank.
    If it was swapping out a sensor I'd do it. But big jobs mean a lot of time mean I'm gonna be in the cold.
    I don't think its fuel because I could still smell the gas coming out when it was misfiring. Very strong (since the no cat thing).
    Also I don't know about crank because I moved the crank and checked the cylinder walls for scoring and there was none at all. They looked fresh and checkered still.
    And as for a 7 year old truck with a whole top end, you forgot brandy new xmsn and only 82k miles... :(

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    dude sell that shit :\ i would to bad you werent original owner you coulda lemon lawed that pos.