Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: misfire, smell gas

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    If you're assuming the computer, I swapped pcm's. I also had a bad alternator so I had the batter disconnected and the alternator out for 2 days while I had to wait for the new one to come in. Havnt got that new dist yet, but I got a new gas cap and that didnt fix it.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

Again, you could have a bad injector unit. Usually random misfire usually indicates this.
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

Yea
    Swapped the CPI spider.
    http://www.mastrianni.net/stevespict...es/plenum4.jpg

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    have you tried the coil?

check the link in my profile
    MSD single GM ignition coil

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    ok just throwing out ideas now... i have seen a few of those msd 6 ignitions (people use them to fix problems then they cause the same problem sometimes) fry at the turn of the key for the first time try looking at the back of it and see if the rubber on the back side of it appears to be burnt or melted or anything like that, its unlikely but if it is you probably have a wiring problem in your main harness a short of some sort possibly also shouldnt your blazer use the dual msd coil?

hum???????????????check ur crank and cam position sensors!there could be dirt or a crack in the ring..it could be reading two #1 cylinders!its a idea.

Did a crank position sensor
    Wheres the cam position sensor? I didnt think there was one?

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

dude go to local parts house like Autozone get a Haynes manuial for it 1st ... I think u got a serious wiring problem somewhere between the MSD set up and your igniton somewhere's .... I know MSD gives pretty damn good instruction s have u rechecked all your new connection to the ditributor ? also u haven't fried damn brain in the distributor have u the uhh.... ahh.,..hell ..it;s rectangular and it sitis in the ditributor ... u know what i mean irght lol ?
    4.3 l auto and alot of rust and a yellow bubble light on top

It misfired before the MSD was put in. It misfired before I put ANYTHING into it.
    I have a chiltons book.
    I did replace the magnetic pick up in the dist.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

hmm..... u scrwed up not hunting down the problem before throwing new parts at it ..... anyhow u need ot get it put ona engine test stand and find out that way .... it's something electrical casusing this .... what i don't know but something is .... onlty thing i can think of is to find out what fault codes the computer is giving out and go fomr there ..... it should give u good idea of where the problem is bascially will eliminat alot of things ....
    4.3 l auto and alot of rust and a yellow bubble light on top

holeshot
    that "Brain Box" is the ignition module like a duraspark on a ford except its unified HEI. the msd 6 box should adjust for any defects if that area but its possible... theres no cam sensors on your truck they are on OVC overhead cam engines they would be on the end of the cam in that case. Your crank angle sensor is also possible but its not likely because if it was it would be running really really really bad basically undriveable.

I brought it to 3 dealers and had it run on their analysers
    All 3 inconclusive.
    The only code is p0300 random misfire.

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    Originally posted by holeshot
    try taking the main positive terminal wire off and touching it to your negative terminal with negative cable still attached to the terminal and hold it there for 5 minutes with your headlights on then reinstall it the check engine light will be off drive it if the light comes back then ask me again.
    did you try this yet?

Yes.
    Many times

--Steve
    I hate my truck.