Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steel body line

steel body line

this is not a post to start another battle, i'm just showing you guys another way of doing this.

1) materials include, 1 can of pro form weld thru zinc coating, 1 can of pro form sprayable paint stripper, and 4 12 foot lengths of 3/8" x 1/8" cold rolled flat stock steel.

2) take off two of the corners of the bar with a grinder or whatever so it looks like \__/ somewhat.

3) strip the paint in and around the body line with the stripper can, this is a messy job.

4) paint the grinded side of the flat bar and the body line with the weld thru coating.

5) start welding. it is crucial that you don't let the panel heat up or it will warp to shit. just a spot every few inches to start. then keep filling in between until somewhat close to being fully welded. again, do not let it heat up. start grinding. do not grind into the surrounding stock sheet metal and be very careful with the heat from grinding, it can do just as much if not more damage than the spot welding. pic 5 is of the fender after grinding/sanding. i am handing the truck over to my painter with metal work done but no filler. it will take very little filler to finish this off.

let me know if you want any better pics....

I just did 2 small rods per length
    made it easier than one rod and all the grinding
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    nice job glad to see u welded it. i cut out a sheet metal filler and welded it in when i did it.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Nice jobs man...it's about time I saw some body work happening. I thought that frame was the only thing ever going to get done on the blazer :bigthumb:

I'm still contemplating if I'm going to weld the beds bodyline or just use kitty hair... I've got shaved fenders and doors already but both were done with kitty hair, and turned out good. I just need to suicide the doors now ;)

It looks good, now have you done that to the whole body now? What kind of welding did you use? and what settings...I haven't even touched a welder to my trucks body yet, don't want to fuck it up too much, so I've just been making parts for the body...but those parts need to be welded on sooner or later :D

Nate

nice job on my scrap fender i just cut a strip of 18 gauge and welded it in smooth
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

we just used bondo on my buddys truck, he just happened to have an extra $20 so he went out and bought 2 cans of bondo and some spraypaint, and we bondo'd up the line and then painted it over again, since the whole truck is in flat black..wasnt bad for $20 lol

94 4dr 2wd jimmy - GONE!!
    98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

Originally posted by FeTTo
    we just used bondo on my buddys truck, he just happened to have an extra $20 so he went out and bought 2 cans of bondo and some spraypaint, and we bondo'd up the line and then painted it over again, since the whole truck is in flat black..wasnt bad for $20 lol
    Quality New Jersey customization

hey man it worked out pretty good for $20, and it gave us something to do that night. ill post pics later lol

but now that i can migweld with my eyes closed im gonna attempt my doors soon

98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

www.guiltybydesign.net guiltybydesign's Avatar
    do that and youll have a nice toasty sunburn, ON YOUR FACE!

Originally posted by s10blaza
    Quality New Jersey customization

nah just some parts of new jersey.... drive about 20-25 minutes away from Fetto and then you meet Real Quality Customization!:bigthumb:
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

:rofl: good call, lol, hey man its all good, i enjoyed it, ya know, my buddys truck is what he calls his "project" truck lol, i just enjoy fucking around with it, you learn new things by messing around with new things ya know..

98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

Originally posted by FeTTo
    :rofl: good call, lol, hey man its all good, i enjoyed it, ya know, my buddys truck is what he calls his "project" truck lol, i just enjoy fucking around with it, you learn new things by messing around with new things ya know..
    yea its all good, you gotta start some where.
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

i just have the fenders done, might do the doors tomorrow. i'm gonna replace the rear quarters though so i've gotta wait for that. i mig welded it with my small lincoln mig pak 10. settings were at B and around 3.5. send me some pics if you've got any Nate. also do you know anyone that makes custom aluminum airtanks, i was going to build some at work but i can't find anyone who makes caps for the end. last resort is probably going to be getting a couple of the 3 gallon polished aluminum tanks from AIM and modifying them.

Nahh..don't go buy em from AIM. I'll going to work at the shop tomorrow (Sunday), so I'll ask Frank about it. He will probably know where to find the end caps. He could probably make them though if you wanted them made....

Yeah, I'm taking pics of in progress..too bad for me the pictures aren't comin..which means there's little progress :bigthumb: I'm finishing school in 2 weeks and not going next semester, so I'll be going hardcore on the truck everyday after work, going to the shop to work on it.

I'm having a bad habit of welding without a helmet though... :nono: The TIG really burns my skin but the MIG I have no problem watching the puddle and it doesn't burn me really..:eek:

Do you have an automatic helmet or are you still old school?? I'm using my buddies which starts at 4 and then goes up to 12 I think it is. I need to buy one, they're so nice to have on and not have to move around when you start welding. As well as a small welder for at my house.

Nate

Hey man, I asked my buddy today and he said he didn't know anybody local off hand that would supply the end caps, but he'll look into it. If, or when he finds somebody for that I'll tell you.

Nate