Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TBI 4.3 to TBI Vortec 4.3 Whats needed?

Round 300k & Still Kick'N

TBI 4.3 to TBI Vortec 4.3 Whats needed?

Hey Im Gettin a new engine for my Jimmy and I can get a great deal on a vortec 4.3L with 10K miles on it for $500. Only consern is what all im going to need to compleat the job. I have a 93 GMC Jimmy with the TBI 4.3L in it, so what all would I need to tottally compleat this Job? also my truck is a 5-speed if that makes a difference.
    Thanks
    Black 1993 GMC Jimmy (4.3L)Flowmaster Exhaust, Heddman Hedders, Custom Intake, K&N FilterCharger Dats Really about it.

it depends on what you want to do convert the 93 to mpfi would require rewiring everything you would need the harness and computer

but if your were to conver the new motor to tbi you oculd use your headrs and intake from the old motor and be set

-mark

you're not going to be able to since Vortec heads require a different manifold. You can get your intake re-driller to accept Vortec heads but you have to know what you're doing. Why don't you get an Edelbrock intake for the 4.3 Vortecs and go carbed?

Round 300k & Still Kick'N
    So are there any TBI Vortec engines? what exacly is the mpfi? is that Multi Port Fuel Injection? Cuz the guy told me it was a TBI vortec so if they dont come tbi then they guy has his story wrong. Im going to go look at it. But so to finish this i would need a Wiring harness from a Vortec engine and put it in my truck? is there anything different about the harness that would make it hard or do i unplug all the old harness and put the new harness in? also did 93-94 Blazers/Jimmys come with an optional vortec engine?
    Black 1993 GMC Jimmy (4.3L)Flowmaster Exhaust, Heddman Hedders, Custom Intake, K&N FilterCharger Dats Really about it.

There's no such thing as a TBI Vortec. Its either TBI with the regualr heads, or its a Vortec with CPI. If you see a TBI on top, its not a Vortec no matter what he tells you (unless you see the manifold has been modified, which I doubt since it only has 10K miles)

If you see a piece of plastic that says Vortec, then yea its a Vortec but you still have to modify the intake manifold to fit. If you want to convert your truck to CPI its going to take some work. They run at a higher fuel pressure so fuel pump is going to have to be replaced. There's more to it but I'm not a CPI expert so have someone else tell you how :bigthumb:

what year is the vortec motor that you an buy?
    Jay

There's only one way to describe your current state of mind, heart and attitude: You're a loose cannon.

Western Washington The Truth: Being a jerk, so you realize how dumb you really are!
    I knew a guy in high school, who SO HE SAID, had a vortech block with an edelbrock intake and a TBI...

He did have the TBI and a edelbrock intake, as for the block i am not sure if he was lieing or not... All I know it that he did some shitty as body work on his truck that fell out in chuncks...lmao
    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    Just stay the hell away from Thadlinkwent, he's a troublemaker.
    No 4 door love here

built not bought pimpinblazer89's Avatar
    that sounds like a good deal low low miles , but IMO you better of with a tbi motor then those vortec motors , i chould name 3 of my friends that have a bvlazer siiting in their yard with a vortec motor with the bottom end shot if its got low miles then i would say ok but they just dont seem get as many miles as a tbi motor
    Jeff
    89 4x4 blazer slammed shaved
    83 2wd blazer stock << frame for my 89
    85 olds 98 daily driver

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pimpinblazer89

AIM: pimpinblazer89

Round 300k &amp; Still Kick'N
    Well thing of it is its a deal, and i need a new engine before mine goes out (close to 300K or more right now) I have to replace the Heater coil so the dash is coming off anyways! not sure the year of the engine I think best bet is to look at it and get back with yall on what Exacly it is. but thanks for all the info. also I heard it was out of a "newer" blazer not sure what newer means but yea ill figure it out, it came out of a wreaked blazer and has been sitting for a while cuz they had plans for it and they never went through

Western Washington The Truth: Being a jerk, so you realize how dumb you really are!
    Originally posted by BlazinJimmy
    Well thing of it is its a deal, and i need a new engine before mine goes out (close to 300K or more right now) I have to replace the Heater coil so the dash is coming off anyways! not sure the year of the engine I think best bet is to look at it and get back with yall on what Exacly it is. but thanks for all the info. also I heard it was out of a "newer" blazer not sure what newer means but yea ill figure it out, it came out of a wreaked blazer and has been sitting for a while cuz they had plans for it and they never went through
    heater coil or the heater core???
    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    Just stay the hell away from Thadlinkwent, he's a troublemaker.
    No 4 door love here

Ive heard it sayd both ways but it looks like a radiator in your ac system that coolent runs through to heat the air. it started leaking pools of coolent on my pass side floor.

Its been a while but i looked at it, Its out of a 94 Blazer auto, I own a 93 Jimmy manual, Looked basicly the same as what i have accept satd vortec on the Valve covers, still has the Circle filter and all so is out of a blazer just like mine. So question is do i need to change the wireing harness or not. It does come with a computer also so has anyone done this swap? seems to me like it would be easy cuz its out of the Same Vehical one year newer yet everything the same accept its a Vortec 4.3 instead of a TBI 4.3. Info please

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    if it came out of the same truck as yours then it should just go right in, no modifications needed. hook everything up and your all set, shouldnt even need to change the cumputer either.
    There's no such thing as a TBI Vortec
    yes there is such thing all the vortecs have throttle bodies.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end
    Custom drop lower control arms/ Now installed lower balljoint steped up 2.5", torsion bar bolts crank to the top.

the pics are up on cardomain.Control arms are in.

K can someone back the previous statement? It does sound to me like it wouldnt take much at all but the person im trying to buy it from claimes it is going to be ALOT of work and then another guys says it isnt who is a mechanic? then i also get mixed messages from here. so Hopfully i can get more info.

Slammed_Jimmy, I ment Throttle Body Injected Votecs, not just having one. cuz most everything has a throttle body if its not carbed.

if the engine out of the 94 has an intake that says vortech on the intake manifold then it is not a tbi angine, but you can remove the whole intake down to the heads and put yours on instead and then bolt the engine into your 93. you will also have to use your fly wheel and i would imagine your distributer as well which will have to come off anyways to get the intake off. everything else should match up.
    Jay

There's only one way to describe your current state of mind, heart and attitude: You're a loose cannon.