Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TBI 4.3 to TBI Vortec 4.3 Whats needed?

Round 300k & Still Kick'N
    It doesnt say vortec on the intake manifold only place it says it is on the Valve covers (4.3l Vortec). I know its not from the 2nd gen Blazer no 2nd gen i have seen has a Carb syle Air filter and intake and the guy sayd it was from a 94. So I just dont want to buy this put it in and find out I need all this other crap i didnt think i needed.
    Black 1993 GMC Jimmy (4.3L)Flowmaster Exhaust, Heddman Hedders, Custom Intake, K&N FilterCharger Dats Really about it.

Originally posted by pimpinblazer89
    but IMO you better of with a tbi motor then those vortec motors
    I just hit 190xxx and mine still runs pretty good. I bought the blazer with like 180xxx on it though and not sure whether it has been rebuilt before or not. Also, I could be wrong, but arnt vortech's more powerfull? Back when I first got mine, I raced a buddy who had a 97 2dr with a 4.3 TBI. I tore him up. But maybe his shit was fd up, I dont know.
    VLAD

My 95

Either way if the top end is the same then you can plug and play everything, and if it different then you will be able to use your existing intake and whatnot.
    Jay

There's only one way to describe your current state of mind, heart and attitude: You're a loose cannon.

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    here is what you do, go to where the motor is with your truck open the hood look at the engine take of the air cleaner housing and have a good look, then go and look at the motor sitting on the floor and see if everything matches up. If it all looks the same the it will work. BUt it all should be just plug it and go.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end
    Custom drop lower control arms/ Now installed lower balljoint steped up 2.5", torsion bar bolts crank to the top.

the pics are up on cardomain.Control arms are in.

Sounds like a good idea, i just wish I could get some Will works instead of Should works from somone who knows alot about these engines and mabe has done this before, I looked around in the Hanes Manual and I couldnt find anything that sayd for 4.3L vortecs all it sayd was 4.3L engines, I also looked in the back at the wireing diagram and it sayd 4.3L engines so Im assuming its all the same because Hanes Usually does different wiriring diagrams for different engines.
    Black 1993 GMC Jimmy (4.3L)Flowmaster Exhaust, Heddman Hedders, Custom Intake, K&N FilterCharger Dats Really about it.

What exactly is the difference between vortec and a regular 4.3 other than vortec is CPI?
    VLAD

My 95

that is the differance. the heads might flow slightly better and there may be a point or 2 differant in compression. but other then the cpi setup they are the same.
    Jay

There's only one way to describe your current state of mind, heart and attitude: You're a loose cannon.

The Vortec you are refering to is the 165 HP TBI Vortec. My mother has that motor in her s10. We are pretty much in the same boat Im about to toss out my 4.3 for a CPI 4.3. I myself have to swap out the entire harness along with a bunch of other crap. As for your swap you should make sure the fuel pumps arent different. Also I would imagine that the plug ins would be slightly different. Well have fun with it!
    -John

In 94 and 95 GM offered the Vortec motor with a TBI setup. This comin from a GM mechanic.

Ok so then Its a TBI Vortec so can i switch them or not lol I havent bought it cuz If its to much work Ill eather go Carbed 350 or same thing

If I read your original post right you want to know if you can just drop this 94 TBI in in place of the 93 TBI. If thats what you mean then this is a direct bolt in. Everything will mach up. Don't worry about a thing. dropped88blazer is right. These came in the S10 from 94-95.

Hey RMassa187, Do you think the computer would be the same. Obviously for my swap im doing it would be different but are the plug-ins the same?? Or is it just the heads that make that motor different? Either way I dont imagine it being as tough as the CPI swap.
    -John

I know that ALL the plugs are the same. As for the computer its the same but the MEMCAL Pak probably has a slightly different program. I would go to a bone yard and get a 94 computer. It plugs right in.

K well Your Partially right on the 93 TBI to a 94 TBI accept the 94 is a TBI vortec which is why im not sure if it would work or not. is that what you ment or do you mean a 94 engine would work in a 93 (both non-vortec). also it comes with a COmputer, they say they dont know if its the computer for that engine but it came with the engine they got from there uncle.
    Last edited by BlazinJimmy; 01-09-2005 at 11:14 PM.

The vortec just referes to the cylinder heads of the motor. Everything on the induction side is the same.