Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying an 8.5" S-series rear end.

where can I get some Axle Assembly set? I have a Ford f150 that I like to ride low

Quote Originally Posted by curtisjackson View Post
    where can I get some Axle Assembly set? I have a Ford f150 that I like to ride low
    :confused:

Wrong forum, dude.

The 8.5 is the way to go. I have an 85 2dr blazers. Stock suspension, 389 cubic inch sbc making 530 hp, 350 trans with 3500 stall and transbrake, plus a bigger driveshaft. The stock 7.5 rear and driveshaft didn't make through the first burnout in the driveway. I found my 8.5 bone stock on eBay. Bolted right in, but I did have to make one hard brake line and weld the new e-brake bracket to the frame. I could have bolted it in but I like to weld. Anyway back to the strength of the rear. My blazer with the still stock 8.5, 3.08 gears( only 2 choices 3.08 or 3.42), bf goodrich t/a radials 255/60/15 not launching off the transbrake will pull the drivers side front tire about a foot off the ground. If I launch off the transbrake I just do a massive burn out. At 65 mph my engine turns about 2700 rpm. The only reason to go with a 9" is if your gonna make Stupid amounts of power and tub out your truck. The strength of an 8.5 is comparable to a 12 bolt. And if for some reason the 8.5 fails theirs tons of parts out their to beef em up to the point where they'll run with a 9". Now 8.5's do require some special treatment. Just like an engine if it runs without oil it ain't pretty. They require gear oil made just for lockers. If that rear wasn't stock in your truck and someone put regular 80w 90 in it, failure isn't far away. Like I said before I dog the heck out of my blazer and the still stock 8.5 is holding up just fine. Hope I could be of help to someone.