Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: traction question for you v8 guys

traction question for you v8 guys

.. yea i know my truck dosent have a v8.. but what do you lowered guys do for traction? i have a relatively stock 4 banger 5 speed 99 pickup lowered w/ belltech drop leafs *3"* and a 2" block .. and i cant fit a traditional slapper bar under it anymore since it hangs down too far.. which also means i dont think i can fit a slide-a-link on it either.. i get horrible wheel hop and it squats a LOT if i shift second fast.. trucks gettin turboed real soon so id like to adress this asap.. i was just wondering if theres anything that i can use or should i just make a lower profile slapper bar type device

Matt
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Slow Ride
    I am running Belltech drop leaves and 3" DJM Steel blocks with Lakewood slappers. I have a few small issues with some ramps into garages and driveways, but nothing really serious

I have been running Slide-A-Links and absolutely love them.. I do not think it would be all that wise for you to run them though. I have 3" Belltech lowering leafs on a blazer. The front of slide-a-link is the lowest part to the ground, approx. 4 inches. And you have another 2 inches on me so that would probably not go over speedbumps all that well.. I have only scraped them twice and each time i had passengers in the back, going over speedbumps. They eliminated all wheel hop for me and are set for the street. i have never preloaded them. Yet. I researched some before bought them and remember something about some zq8's had a set of shocks that run from the axle to the a mount on the frame horizontally and like normal. maybe theres something there for you?.. Also a real stiff shock helped some wheel hop before i bought slidealinks.
    Last edited by SBCpwrd; 12-15-2004 at 12:41 AM.

Since you have a truck, it would be easy to add the ZQ8 3rd shock. Im told that does very well for wheel hop.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

vader
    Slow, I know you like to make things so how about a pinion snubber.

Slow Ride
    I'm just going to save my pennies and back half it with some HUGE meats in a couple of years.

Cheap fix - LakeWood (or any other) 50/50 shocks.

If you really want to spend money fixing this, I would get some good traction bars...I like CalTracks because I think they work best and they have a nice low profile to them (They are what I have and going on my truck soon).

Or just do a 4-link.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

I've heard from more than a few sources that these work just as good if not better than slapper/traction bars. Plus, they go over the top of the spring so ground clearance isn't compromised.

Hellwig traction springs

If I didn't have such skinny tires I'd get them now but I will definitely get them when I get wider, larger rims.

I built curved traction bars.

You can also build on top of the spring traction bars. I'll search for that post later on.

But I remember them as being basically extended steel drop blocks with a snubber that contacted the frame instead of the spring.

zz4.. you have any idea where i can get the brackets for the third shock? besides gm..

Slow Ride.. i had the same slapper bars that i sectioned like 1.5" out of the mounts to raise it up but even that hangs down too far now.. i only had about 3" under it so i probably woulda caught that on a speed bump or something and ripped the rear out of the truck.. but they worked GREAT when i could fit them

sbc pwrd.. i cant fit slide a links i know they work great but i dont have the room for them

s10blaza.. i was actually thinking abuot them today.. the link dosent work but i think i know what your talkin about its like another curved half leaf that bolts to the top of the spring

Big. i was also thinking about that just making a set of somewhat low profile ones.. im not gonna make THAT much power so they shouldnt flex too much

Tipman.. i like that idea.. but once again.. no room for it..

worse comes to worse ill raise it up a little but if i can keep it this low then id obviously like to.. thanks for all the suggestions im gonna look into the 3rd shock and a set of 50/50 shocks and see if that helps first..
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

ogg.. can you get me some measurements on the caltracs. how far does it hang down under the front leaf spring perch.. and how far under the leaf spring pad
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

You can build a real cheap set which is just some beefy flat metal clamped in 2 placed on top of the front part of the spring, forces the front part of the spring to act like ladder bar.

vader
    No love for the pinion snubber Slow?

Search Button Mod BlazerINtheWork's Avatar
    Originally posted by s10blaza
    I've heard from more than a few sources that these work just as good if not better than slapper/traction bars. Plus, they go over the top of the spring so ground clearance isn't compromised.

Hellwig traction springs

If I didn't have such skinny tires I'd get them now but I will definitely get them when I get wider, larger rims.

i am in the same boat as you slow, my new drop only gives me 3'' of total clearance. but i really like those that hector posted above. anyone ever used them? they work pretty well?
    Originally posted by Baggd2DaXtreeme
    anyone who posts regularly and doesnt donate is a freeloader.
    Quote Originally Posted by banginjimmy(in reference to BlazinLow) View Post
    There are those times where its simply better than real life
    4 Door Love