Thread: custom rollpan (1st gen)

custom rollpan (1st gen)

alright, after looking on ebay,fbimini, stylin concepts, i decided i was gonna take a stab at fabbing my own rollpan. Went outside, took my stock bumper off and took some measurements, i got 53 7/8" long and 6 1/2" wide for the pan. 12 3/4" long and 6 1/2" wide for the license box. The hardest part about this will be to get the bend for the pan all even and everything by hand.

I searched for custom rollpans on this site and didnt find anything that helped except one thing. someone measured the rollpan and just welded the metal right to the body and let the metal form itself to the qaurter panel (if that makes sense), that seemed like a good idea, anyone elses opinions, I'm gonna start tommorow morning and i'll have some pics and what not, any input is greatly appreciated. peace, Chad
    1989 2 door 4x4 s10 blaze, 4/3 drop, Entirely Shaved, Primed (caddy tails and rollpan over spring break)

bending it as you go wont work out too great.. because the center of the vehicle wont have the same curve as the edges since the metal will try to flex back to being flat.. its worth the $60 from fbi if you dont have the correct tools to do it
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

yeah today in school (votec) i realised how hard it would be to make the rollpan so i ditched that idea and i'm jsut gonna buy one somewhere cheap, but i made the license plate box so i dont have to buy that haha, peace
    1989 2 door 4x4 s10 blaze, 4/3 drop, Entirely Shaved, Primed (caddy tails and rollpan over spring break)

vader
    I made mine by bending it over a large diameter piece of pipe I had for my A-frame (apprx. 6"). Worked great, although a slip roller would be easier.

vader you got any pics of that?

vader
    I'll shoot some digital pics maybe after this weekend. Only pics I have right now are on film and I don't have a scanner.

www.guiltybydesign.net guiltybydesign's Avatar
    i have made one where i welded it at the top and worked my way down, but i made it 1/2" longer and bent it 90dg. The 90 helped hold the straight edge across the length of the pan, and it turned out perfect. The other way is to find a piece of 10" pipe, clamp one end down with 2 vice grips and a piece of square tubing and giver hell. Please, if you can, take another stab at it before going and buying one.

yea i'll try, id like to see some pics if anyone has any of homemade rollpans, i get everything for free from school (sheet metal, welder, tools ect...) so equipment is no problem, but pics if anyone has any!

if your school has a metal break just take it and bend the 90 for the top and then tack the upper corners then bend it down and tack it and bend it and tack it and... you get the idea. just watch the middle to make sure its following the curve pretty well too.