Thread: 15x ?

15x ?

hey someone told me before that if i was gonna run big rims(15x10) & big tires(275/60) that i would need 4" of backspace. In the front he recommended 235/60's for the 10's and the 275's. how does backspacing work and can i get away with something a 1/4" bigger or smaller? like 3.75" or 4 1/2"?or whatever. somone lemme know- i have very little time, and its for xmas. thanks guys!:bigthumb:
    :::insert profile quote here::::

holeshot
    backspacing is the measurement from the back of the lugnut plate where the stud holes are drilled in, to the inside edge of the rim. With 15 inch wheels you should keep to 4 inches as to not hit any of your control arms or anything on your wheel.

thanks dude

holeshot
    no problem

Just so you know, you can run a 10" wide rim up front on an S10 series unless you want it sticking out. The most for a 1st Gen and be able to turn properly is 7.5", anything more and it rubs the frame a little bit and anything bigger than 8.5" and you have no turning almost. For the rear you can run 10" wide I think but you better measure to make sure, cuz you might get a rim with not enough backspacing and it'll rub the frame in the rear.

Nate

Like Audio said, you can't get a 10" rim up front it you want it to tuck, or at least have some turning radias at all.

For the front, with such a smaller rim, I'd suggest a 15x7" rim if you can. Im not sure that you an get away with a 8" wide rim or not. I know all my 15" rims have been 7" with 4 1/4" BS. And, they were close to the tie rod, very close to hitting. For an 8" rim, you will need 4.5" BS to keep it under the fender, but, Im not sure if it will hit the tie rod/spindle knuckle or not.

Out back, you can easily run a 10" rim. You will need 5.5" BS. I know that sounds like a lot, but trust me, its the perfect fit. That'll tuck the tire under the quarters, and still give you enough room not to rub on the leafs/frame.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

well i think what i decided is to do 15 x 8' s all around and to just get the tires. my boy did it on his monte SS and it looks bad ass, and thats what i was looking to achieve. however i did see a super-stock racer 72 'maro with the big meats i wanted: 15x 10 & 15x 8's; 275/60 and 235/50s in front and back. thats were i get my madness from. : :bigthumb:

holeshot
    yea i have 15x7 eagle alloys on now and they are like 1/8 of an inch away from the grease fitting on the upper balljoint