Thread: '84 2.8 carged motor is sputtering under a heavy load

'84 2.8 carged motor is sputtering under a heavy load

my 1984 2.8 carbed motor is having some probs lately. it only has 93,000 miles on it and has been maintained well by me and my father, who has been the only owner of the truck. recently...it began to "sputter" under load...when i try to accelerate harder than anything over cruise level maybe. basically, when i try to give it some gas to go a little faster, it will hesitate and not really get me going any faster...it will just sputter. its using alot of gas, and im getting about 10-12 MPG which is horrible!!! nothing was wrong with it before it was having problems. i did some work to engine stuff withing the past year like a complete carb rebuild...replaced every vacuum line/hose, routine oil changes, replaced distributor, spark plug wires and the plugs a few hundred miles ago. so what could be causing these problems? i looked at the air cleaner today and it was filthy and probably not letting any air in, but im sure that isnt causing my problems. the engine will rev high if i put it in neutral, which isnt under any heavy load. so what should i check?

by the way, im not gonna be buying anything for this if i dont have to...a new car is coming in about a month. just want to keep it fairly stable until then, as in running normal.

Re: '84 2.8 carged motor is sputtering under a heavy load

Originally posted by tommyortom
    ...i looked at the air cleaner today and it was filthy and probably not letting any air in, but im sure that isnt causing my problems...
    You'd be suprised.