Thread: HOW TO make a roll pan for 2nd gen blazer.

HOW TO make a roll pan for 2nd gen blazer.

This is for those of you who want a roll pan but doesnt want to spend 400-500 bucks on it.

This is not a 1 or not even a 2 day project, so plan it accordingly, and just take your time and be patient.

Also before I start, this How-to is mostly guidelines on how this should be done rather than step by step instructions.

Here is what you will need:

fiberglass s-10 roll pan
    lots of resin and cloth
    and lots of time and patience

Here are some of the tools I suggest you to have before you start on this project:

Grinder
    Sander
    Drill
    Electric hack saw
    And a basic set of sockets with at least 1 foot of extencions.

And here is what a stock rear on a 2nd gen blazer looks like:

VLAD

My 95

STEP 1

First thing you need to do is section out your bumper ends. Its a good idea to get another set a junk yard for this because it will take some time.

This is aproximately where you want to make your cuts.

After you cut it, make sure you leave a gap in between the pieces when you fiberglass it back together so that resin could fill it in. You want to tape the front with some duct tape, glass the back, and then glass the front.

Pay close attention to this part. Make sure you fiberglass it all around so that it wont crack in the future.

This is what it should look like when you are done glassin' it.

VLAD

My 95

If you need a more detailed how-to on sectioning your bumper ends, check out Rojo's page:

http://www.vertical-limit.com/Rojo/tutorial
    VLAD

My 95

Now before you go any further, you want to test fit the ends to make sure the fit and look right.

Looks good to me...
    VLAD

My 95

STEP 2

Now its time to mount that s-10 pan.

After you take the stock bumper off, its time to cut again. Use electric hack saw to chop some of your frame. I dont remember exactly how much I cut off, but I think I left about 1/2 inch past body mount. Also on the side, depending on what kind of roll pan you get, you might have to make an angled cut so that it would clear the pan. At this point there is no turning back!

Now the s-10 pan is gona be about an inch too wide to fit in between the bumper ends. So get the hack saw again and cut 1/2 of an inch off of it on each side. Make sure you leave a small gap between the pan and the bumper ends so that resin could fill it in.

You also might have to cut out a section on the top so that it would clear the body mounts.

Now you will need to come up with some kind of bracket to bolt it back to the frame. I used the stock bumper brackets, but instead of using 2 bolts on each side, I used just one, or just half of a bracket. Have somebody hold a pan up for you so that you can make some marks on where the holes in the pan should be made along with some new holes in the frame.

Before you bolt the pan to the frame, make sure that it can be removed straight down. Thats ofcoarse if you want it to be removable.
    VLAD

My 95

STEP 3

Now its time to fiberglass.

Make sure you sand the entire area you are going to glass.

The s-10 pan actually comes about 1/2 of an inch below the bumper ends so you will need to build that 1/2 of an inch up.

I simply stretched a mat over the buttom of the bumper end and roll pan, and folded it up behind them. After it dried, i filled that "air tube" I created with resin. That took care of the problem. Everything else is pretty much straight forward. Lay some glass on the pan and the end, lay some mat over it, and soak it in resin. Sand it down, and do it again.

That what you should end up with. Looks ugly as hell as of now doesnt it? lol
    VLAD

My 95

After that I glassed it again twice and thats when it started becoming smooth. This is also where I used grinder to square out the buttom of the pan underneath. Remember when I said I was stretching mat over everything?

Next thing you want to do is take the pan off and fiberglass the points where the pan meets the ends on each side.

And now its time to smooth out the pan. Glass it and sand it on the outside untill its fairly smooth, then lay down some kitty hair and mud. Sand it smooth, prime and paint.

And here is the final product:

Looks alot better doesnt it?

Good luck!
    VLAD

My 95

Thats one sexy bitch right there!!

;)
    dave -

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    This needs stickied and locked so it doesn't get whored up.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

great how to, make me one :D

Originally posted by dbornotdb
    This needs stickied and locked so it doesn't get whored up.
    i think they should take the how to's and put them in the tech section.
    -J

I drive a sport truck, not a mini truck.

Originally posted by s10blazer90
    make me one :D
    I thought about that. But if I actually did decide to make one and try to sell it, because it would be hand built and require lots of time, it will probably end up costing about as much as raw by the time you add shipping to it and everything. I dont think many people would be interested in that.

It really isnt that hard. Just very time consuming. Everybody that has succeeded in fiberglassing something before and has some craftsmanship skills and a little of imagination should be able to make one.

And about tech section, as far as I was informed, Mike is working on something where he could unite and collect all of the usefull how-to's. I think that would be pretty neat.
    Last edited by x_concepts; 12-23-2004 at 02:17 PM.
    VLAD

My 95

ERRATIC SHOW TRUCKS (TX)
    FIRST OFF... good job on makin it.. however it doenst look right to me.. it doesnt really seem like it keeps the contour of the tailgate... almost like it goes in, and comes back out some