View Poll Results: Forced induction 4.3 or 350 swap?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turbo

6 31.58%
  • Supercharger

3 15.79%
  • Swap

10 52.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Figure this out and earn ca$h!

Figure this out and earn ca$h!

I am looking for power, smooth transitional power. I really don't want a 1/4 mile dash-type power. I want to run this thing through a corner and from the apex to the exit, I want the input of my throttle foot to match the increase in speed of the Blazer at the exit. Am I looking at forced induction 4.3 or is it as simple as a 350 swap? The cost outlay will be similar with either application but; power delivery is my main goal, which route should I take?
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

vader
    I don't know if this will help or not, but about a year ago in PHR they took a bunch of cars out on a track day. One of the cars was a grand national set up to take corners fast. They didn't like the way the power was delivered with the turbo for a road coarse. Something about it hitting boost out of the corner and losing the ass-end.

I'd recommend a nice fuel injected small-block.

TPI- cheapest
    LT1- little more expensive
    LS1-LS6 - most expensive.

Maybe a TPI would be a good choice because it has a good compromise between torque and horsepower.

I had a Vortec 350 that I just sold, I was thinking LT1 but I am still in a fix... Either way, the power will run through a T56 if that matters.
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

vader
    I ran a stealth ram tpi set-up in my last f-body and really enjoyed it. Just remember that parts are the cheapest for the TPI based engines if money is a factor. Ever price a starter for an LTI? or how about a water pump?

if you are worried about how a blazer will handle around corners a v8 will make it a little front heavy and will cost a pretty penny to swap. now a turbo will have to spool so when it does kick in your tires will spin like the national vader talked about, now this leaves a supercharger, which is what i would do if i was in your situation. but this is my 2 cents and its really just up to you

edit: also i would go with a centrifigal (sp) over roots, if they even make roots type for a 4.3
    1990 S10 - Bagged - Shaved - SFBD'd

holeshot
    Originally posted by 8 banger blazer

edit: also i would go with a centrifigal (sp) over roots, if they even make roots type for a 4.3
    good call a roots would just roast your tires as soon as you gassed it, i would say its time to get you a 351 smallblock ford motor and a rolls royce transaxle and put that bitch behind the backseat, look into gt40 replicars for parts for the swap... this is not impractical it could be pretty easily done since the blazer is full framed and all with the right mounts easy as pie just requires alot of skill and knowledge but for a skilled professional its probably only a 50 hour job or so, 75 hours totally finished. The only impracticality is $$$ itll probly run you about 12-15 grand but the end result will be sick undeniably, haulin ass safely and with total traction, ass pounding, balls to the wall power.

hmmm with the rule of half lets say 150 hours... you guys know what im sayin...
    Last edited by holeshot; 12-22-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Originally posted by holeshot
    Blah, blah, yakkity smackity...
    C'mon man, I can deal with a little jackassery... Next?

I am not worried about weight transfer as much as power delivery. The SBC wouldn't add that much weight vs. the 4.3 with forced induction add ons.

just build a small block that is set up for forced induction, forged internals and low compression, drive like that untill you have $$$$ for a supercharger or turbo :bigthumb:
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

Slow Ride
    how about all three?

Originally posted by 4.3 zach
    just build a small block that is set up for forced induction, forged internals and low compression, drive like that untill you have $$$$ for a supercharger or turbo :bigthumb:
    Best idea yet! Bet Eric came up with it, huh? I will still need the headers done up though, PM your address to me and I will get back to you.

i guess a good ole fashion small block would be good it just depends on what price range you have
    1990 S10 - Bagged - Shaved - SFBD'd

Eric, hrmm im not sure i havent talked to him in 24 hours, im still fuming over that incident :blowup:
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    Originally posted by vader

Maybe a TPI would be a good choice because it has a good compromise between torque and horsepower.
    TPI makes me horny.
    thats what I had before I smashed my truck. I still have the JTR s10 swap and JTR TPI rebuild book if you end up getting a TPI...

--Steve
    I hate my truck.

holeshot
    Originally posted by Robo
    I am looking for power, smooth transitional power. I really don't want a 1/4 mile dash-type power. I want to run this thing through a corner

later on that night...

I am not worried about weight transfer as much as power delivery.
    i was serious weight transfer equates to traction, get all the delivery you want but without a destination all you are is a middle aged white guy in brown shorts and button up shirt askin directions... and with you talking about changing to 350s then aspirating them, your talking 5-10 thousand dollar projects so i assumed you had the $$$ i dont think its really that crazy of an idea?
    Last edited by holeshot; 12-23-2004 at 02:06 AM.