View Poll Results: Forced induction 4.3 or 350 swap?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turbo

6 31.58%
  • Supercharger

3 15.79%
  • Swap

10 52.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Figure this out and earn ca$h!

LT1 is a nice motor. Has a very nice broad torque curve with plenty of low end.

First time I punched it going around a corner in second I ended up sideways and hitting the curb. It just surprised me at such a low RPM having the power to swap ends. Of course the Factory 8.5" Gov-Lok doesn't help in that situation either since it pretty much locks the rear end like a spool when the POSI engages. That's why my next purchase is going to be a Zexel-Torsen T2-R. Supossed to be the best POSI for road racing. Plus it can handle 575 ft-lb of torque. :D

If you are using a T-56 then it naturally comes with an LT1 attached.

I am going to play devils advocate here...

Turbo 4.3

How....Fabricate Headers/ Use existing SYTY headers/ Use existing SYTY manifolds.

Properly sized turbo that will come on quickly, but not be restriction up top.

Bottom end build:
    .030 over
    SRP or Sealed Power Forged Pistons
    Eagle Rods

96-99 Vortec Heads (best flowing production heads)
    Edelbrock Intake. (lightweight / excellent flow)
    4 BBL throttle body or elbow and LSI throttle body
    Megasquirt or Holley Fuel Injection setup
    Air to Air intercooler (keep the weight down)
    Alky injection as needed. (allow higher boost on lower octane gas)

My reasons: FLEXIBILITY.
    If you want higher boost, run some good gas, and adjust the boost controller, or high boost is 87 octane gas and a flip of the alky switch away
    If you are autocrossing and want to limit to X number of lbs so you can hook out of the corners, then you can do so with the in cab controller.
    4.3 slightly lighter, especially with Alum Edelbrock intake.
    Lower compression pistons will deal with 87 gas and low Boost For highway cruising or daily driving.:D
    Damn.

Damn you devil's advocates! Sounds nice! Sounds very nice, practical even. Using that set-up I wouldn't have to worry about engine swap legality seeing as how I am always a "temporary" resident wherever I move... Hmm....:bang:
    Last edited by Robo; 12-23-2004 at 10:50 AM.
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

Originally posted by holeshot
    i was serious weight transfer equates to traction, get all the delivery you want but without a destination all you are is a middle aged white guy in brown shorts and button up shirt askin directions... and with you talking about changing to 350s then aspirating them, your talking 5-10 thousand dollar projects so i assumed you had the $$$ i dont think its really that crazy of an idea?

I am not worried about the front/ rear weight balance. I have the RX-7 for that. I want this to remain a useful vehicle while getting it to handle as best it can with a good power outlay. Now you say 5-10 grand. That is a good deal away from the 12-15 grand you previously mentioned.

BTW: I am a middle-aged angry black man in BDU's getting intel and delivering peace through superior firepower!:bigthumb:
    Prepare for the worst, pray for the best; if you do, then you will ALWAYS be ready for anything! Faith ALWAYS overrides fear!

Round 300k & Still Kick'N
    I got an Idea Drop a 383 Stroker in that sucker? or even better a 427? I always thought it would be Clean to throw eather one of those in a Blazer. Hell if your goin 350 you may as well go 383 then mabe later you can go Charged on that 383 I think you would be happy with that. Or the best engine ever made, a 427 with a Charger on it would be wicked and really you wouldnt be spending a whole whole lot expecially if you went 383.
    Just my 2cents
    Now where is my Cash and how much :huh:
    Last edited by BlazinJimmy; 12-23-2004 at 02:03 PM.
    Black 1993 GMC Jimmy (4.3L)Flowmaster Exhaust, Heddman Hedders, Custom Intake, K&N FilterCharger Dats Really about it.

Western Washington The Truth: Being a jerk, so you realize how dumb you really are!
    Originally posted by holeshot
    all you are is a middle aged white guy in brown shorts and button up shirt askin directions...

Originally posted by Robo
    BTW: I am a middle-aged angry black man in BDU's getting intel and delivering peace through superior firepower!:bigthumb:

LMFAO.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Robo white...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA... (maybe tonys noose avatar is in order???..lmao)

For some reason I think turbo would be the best option. But thats just me. :bigthumb:
    Last edited by thadlinkwent; 12-23-2004 at 03:54 PM.
    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    Just stay the hell away from Thadlinkwent, he's a troublemaker.
    No 4 door love here

Originally posted by thadlinkwent

For some reason I think turbo would be the best option. But thats just me. :bigthumb:
    So far I am leaning towards the LT1 as the best financially, the turbo is $6,000 but I like that also... Finances be damned the Gale Banks TT is where'd the ca$h would go; $4X,XXX worth:

Perhaps I should clarify my thoughts....I am thinking DIY turbo.

Hell there is a post either here or on s-seriesforum where a guy is selling typhoon manifolds, turbo, crossover and downpipe for 800.00. that would take care of 95% of the hot side, so the rest would be intake heads intercooler and engine management.
    1000.00 for hot side (add ITS minigate on crossover 200.00 or so.
    1000 for computer system
    1000 for intake, intercooler, piping, and throttle body.
    250 for heads
    250 for fuel system upgrades/hoses, rails, etc.
    1000 for miscellaneous crap that sneaks up...

4500 or so?

the computer is high estimate...I think the Holley Commander is cheaper.....
    Intake 250.00 "OBX" intercooler (ebay) 300.00 throttle body 200.00
    walbro pump 100.00 fpregulator 100.00 Hoses

Last edited by BoostedTy; 12-23-2004 at 04:11 PM.
    Damn.

Being a pessimist

I didn't see money to freshen the turbo

Used turbos are about like used torque convertors, IMO

Originally posted by bigjsp
    Being a pessimist
    C'mon J, pessimist? Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see it as half full; guys like you and I see it as the glass is too fucking big, someone should have designed it better!

Originally posted by bigjsp
    Being a pessimist

I didn't see money to freshen the turbo

Used turbos are about like used torque convertors, IMO
    Under the MISC section::bigthumb:
    Damn.

ok .. my input.. you can turbo that 4.3 for less then the cost of a lt1 swap or probably carbed v8 for that matter.. you just have to look around you can get stuff for a lot cheaper then new when someone HAS to get rid of it.. you just have to give it a little time .. i got everything to turbo my 2.2 for less then $500.. thats turbo BOV wastegate piping intercooler and other misc parts...

ROBO.. hit me up on AIM sometime and we can BS about it ..

btw i suggest turbo 4.3.. be a LITTLE different.. everyone one and there mother has a v8 blaze
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Western Washington The Truth: Being a jerk, so you realize how dumb you really are!
    C'mon J, pessimist? Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see it as half full; guys like you and I see it as the glass is too fucking big, someone should have designed it better!

And then theres people like me, who just steal someone else's half full glass to fill mine...j/p...
    No 4 door love here

Originally posted by slow 89
    btw i suggest turbo 4.3.. be a LITTLE different.. everyone one and there mother has a v8 blaze

hmmm I think I said something similar to this over AIM.....

I agree with slow. Take your time and everything will provide itself. It has so far with my sbc project....
    No 4 door love here

Round 300k & Still Kick'N
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then there are people like me who like to make things complicated and say; well it depends its half empty if I drank half of it but its half full if I pored it half way!
    Black 1993 GMC Jimmy (4.3L)Flowmaster Exhaust, Heddman Hedders, Custom Intake, K&N FilterCharger Dats Really about it.