Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator Fan turning the wrong way??

Cops- just leave us alone IB LOAF N's Avatar

Exclamation Radiator Fan turning the wrong way??

Hey i have a 96 blazer and notice the fan is going the wrong way, so i think?? I just know instead of air being sucked in and blowing on engine its pushing air out the front end. I looked at the belt and its on the right way. So if anybody or everybody please go out and take look and see which way your fan rotates. Also feel in front and see if it's pushing air out. Need help asap!!

Positively Negative

Re: Radiator Fan turning the wrong way??

Originally posted by IB LOAF N
    Hey i have a 96 blazer and notice the fan is going the wrong way, so i think?? I just know instead of air being sucked in and blowing on engine its pushing air out the front end. I looked at the belt and its on the right way. So if anybody or everybody please go out and take look and see which way your fan rotates. Also feel in front and see if it's pushing air out. Need help asap!!

the fan should turn the opposite direction of the engine, alternator, a/c, and power steering ... if the belt is on right and the fan is blowing the wrong way, then the fan is probably attached to the clutch backwords

Keep in mind that there are 2 types of fans. A puller style and a pusher style. A puller style pulls hot air away from the engine while a pusher style pulls the air towards the engine. It might be a possibility that you have a puller style fan on there. Perhaps the previous owner replaced it...???
    VLAD

My 95

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Originally posted by x_concepts
    Keep in mind that there are 2 types of fans. A puller style and a pusher style. A puller style pulls hot air away from the engine while a pusher style pulls the air towards the engine. It might be a possibility that you have a puller style fan on there. Perhaps the previous owner replaced it...???
    I think you're mixed up. I didn't know that engine driven fans could be either a puller or pusher, only installed the right way (if it's backwards it will not do its job). If it is possible though it would be the puller pulls air through the radiator and towards the engine and the pusher pushes air through it. Normal when speaking of this it's strictly electric fans (pushers go on the front of the radiator and push air towards the engine, puller go on the back of the radiator and pull air towards the engine.. both moving air through the radiator).

I'm pretty sure something's fucked up there. Your fan should always be drawing air through the radiator from the outside (sucking in outside cooler air and pushing it through the radiator)... or as you say, against the engine.

Having a fan pull the air away from the engine and through the radiator would defeat the purpose of having a fan. It would mean hot air off of the engine is going through the radiator. Not only that but at high speeds the air naturally coming into the engine bay (through the radiator) would be blocked by the fan moving backwards.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

built not bought pimpinblazer89's Avatar
    engine drivein fans can only be pullers only, like catching second said, pushers go in front off the rad
    Jeff
    89 4x4 blazer slammed shaved
    83 2wd blazer stock << frame for my 89
    85 olds 98 daily driver

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pimpinblazer89

AIM: pimpinblazer89

Originally posted by Catching Second

Having a fan pull the air away from the engine and through the radiator would defeat the purpose of having a fan. It would mean hot air off of the engine is going through the radiator. Not only that but at high speeds the air naturally coming into the engine bay (through the radiator) would be blocked by the fan moving backwards.
    Your right, I didnt think of that. I was probably thinking of electric fan.
    VLAD

My 95

im not calling you retarded here..but are you sure your hand wasnt wet or something and you just noticed the air moving on the front side of the grill and thought that it was coming out? the only other thing i could think of was if the fan was bolted to the clutch/pulley backwards..but as already mentioned youd be overheating. check it again...hold a piece of paper or someting light like that in front of it and see what way it blows or someting.

Hey i know asking this question that i would get some heat from it. But im not kidding here the fan rotates to the left and the crank to the right. Like i asked in the post does everbody out there with a late model blazer have the same set up?? Ive tried to flip the fan around but its the same ( still pushes air out front) the only thing i can figure is the direction of the fan blades are wrong. If you look at your fan mine slants to the right. Due to the pitch facing right and the fan rotating left the air is not getting sucked in, its pushing out.

have you everchanged the fan because the only thing that could possibly make it turn backwards is if you have a reverse rotation water pump and a conventional fan bolted to it or the opposite like conventoinal water pump an reverse rotation fan.
    Jay

There's only one way to describe your current state of mind, heart and attitude: You're a loose cannon.

Never had fan replaced. Local chevy dealer replaced the water pump. Still would like to know if anybody had the same rotation or same fan pitch????

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Originally posted by Catching Second

I'm pretty sure something's fucked up there. Your fan should always be drawing air through the radiator from the outside (sucking in outside cooler air and pushing it through the radiator)... or as you say, against the engine.

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

since they did your water pump and you cant figure out whats wrong.. just take it back to the dealer and tell them its hard help w/o pics
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Does it overheat? or Having cooling issues?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

hold a piece of paper to your grille if it sucks it to the grille when the fan is on its working good if it blows it away take your truck back to whoever changed your water pump.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

No, my Blazer doesn't overheat. And yes air is blowing out the front, no doubt. Since the local chevy dealer put my water pump how is it possible to put it on the wrong way?? Im still in need of a person or persons with a 95 or older blazer to tell me which way there fins on the fan are facing. And which way is the fan rotating?? Please somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!