Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/6 on 1st gen, added c-notch, still bangin

5/6 on 1st gen, added c-notch, still bangin

Hey guys. I recently dropped my 89 2-door 5/6 using all belltech stuff. Axle to frame clearance in the rear was almost none, like a quarter inch, even with the bumpstops cut. So I ordered the suicidedoors c-notches, finished putting them on yesterday. I also cut off the exhaust overpipe behind the muffler as it was totally in the way now. Its alot better, alot better, but I still have an issue bottoming out. I havent crawled under to verify, but I suspect its the rearend punkin hitting the floor now. It doesn't bottom out much with bumps going down the road now, but when I try to accelerate it squats the rear enough to really bang stuff pretty hard. Basically with me and one passenger in the truck, I cant go past about quarter throttle, really ease into it.

Soooooo, 2 things, wtf are belltech 3" drop coils so weak? heh And should I be considering air shocks, as a temporary fix till I bag it later?

I dont understand Belltech's thinking, their leafs I got were definitely not as stiff as even my old worn out ones were, nor do they have an overload leaf. Seems reasonable if a guy was lowering their truck with 3" lowering leafs, they would probably want pretty stiff springs due to losing suspension travel. Maybe Im just nuts tho..? I suspect a simple addition of an overload leaf to my leafpacks would solve my problem, but air shocks seem easier.

Anyone else have this issue with their 5/6? Are air shocks a good temp fix? Keep in mind I havent started adding the stereo, which will include two 60lb subs (ea) and their enclosures, amps, sound deadening, etc. What air shocks would be appropriate? Since Ive dropped the thing 6", I cant exactly ask for air shocks for an 89 s10 blazer at discount autoparts.

Comments? Suggestions? Flames? TIA
    Last edited by audioholic; 01-22-2005 at 01:43 AM.

Search Button Mod BlazerINtheWork's Avatar
    i got a couple questions, you have any issues putting in the notchs? run into any problems, gas/brake lines, ect? take very long? just asking because i still need to put mine in.

but that is my main fear when i put mine in, the pumpkin hitting the floor. hopfully i don't get it since i only have a 5'' drop *knock on wood*

sorry i couldn't really help you, but good luck
    Originally posted by Baggd2DaXtreeme
    anyone who posts regularly and doesnt donate is a freeloader.
    Quote Originally Posted by banginjimmy(in reference to BlazinLow) View Post
    There are those times where its simply better than real life
    4 Door Love

i think the belltech drop springs are just zq8's that are dearched. thats why they are weaker.
    the only problem i had installing the notch is that the frame is boxed in, in the front.. so i had to buy longer 4.5in bolts, to get all the way through.

i noticed the same thing w/ the belltech drop leafs.. they SUCK.. *altho i cant argue they were free* but they are SUPER weak and you can tell there just de-arched leafs i had HORRID wheel hop on my 4 banger w/ them..

but back to your problem its probably the pumpkin hitting and you COULD put air shocks on but they ride like crap.. for the same amount of money you can probably get one of those airbag assist kits that bolt onto your leaf and the frame that would help out alot
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

I got the same problem with my 89 jimmy...5/5 drop with jasons c notch...my pumkin smacks the floor with quarter throttle...it sucks...i think im goin to but in air shocks
    Bagged 89 Jimmy

Banned
    hey, I dont have a notch yet, but I had the same problem. What shocks do you have? I had stock one and when I took them out they compressed by their own weight so I knew they were completly shot. So I ended up getting new shocks that were fairly stiff and it helped out alot. That and some aftermarket bumpstops on the frame.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Originally posted by BlazerINtheWork
    i got a couple questions, you have any issues putting in the notchs? run into any problems, gas/brake lines, ect? take very long? just asking because i still need to put mine in.

but that is my main fear when i put mine in, the pumpkin hitting the floor. hopfully i don't get it since i only have a 5'' drop *knock on wood*

sorry i couldn't really help you, but good luck
    Putting in the notches... they took maybe 6-8 hours. I did it over 2 days, and had to run to the store for more grinding wheels at one point. It wasn't difficult, but Im lucky because I have my father's stockpile of tools at my place, almost anything you can imagine. :D The fuel lines were an issue yes. I had to remove a few brackets holding them in place along the frame, to pull them back out of the way, held away with wire ties. The frame kept me from pulling them away more than a few inches, and I didnt want to remove the line completely, so I used a 4" grinder with cutting wheels to cut, rather than something like a sawzall whose blade would have run too deep and hit the lines. They were a bit of a pain, but a little care and planning kept them from being too much of a problem. Once the notches were in place, there was -just enough- room for the lines to still fit up in the frame, boxed in between the notch and a body mount.

Originally posted by concept
    i think the belltech drop springs are just zq8's that are dearched. thats why they are weaker.
    the only problem i had installing the notch is that the frame is boxed in, in the front.. so i had to buy longer 4.5in bolts, to get all the way through.
    Weird, my frame wasn't completely boxed in anywhere around where I installed the notches on my truck. Maybe your frame has been modified.

As for air shocks riding like crap, yeah I agree. I hate to put them on, but the ride has to be better than it is now, I cant accelerate at all. heh Im familiar with the air bag helpers as I helped my fatehr install a pair on his full size chevy, but Im thinking air shocks will do basically the same thing and are a bit easier to install.

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep em coming, I need to decide what to do here. Probably just air shocks till I bag it, although Im seriously considering breaking out the plasma cutter and channeling my floor. lol Im gonna have to do that when I bag it anyway, but I should prolly pull the body for that project.

Search Button Mod BlazerINtheWork's Avatar
    Originally posted by audioholic
    Im seriously considering breaking out the plasma cutter and channeling my floor.

might not be a bad idea, do what guiltybydesign did, heres a pic from his "baggin my 88" thread in the fab forum:

but if its the leafs that let the axel come up to far, if you stiffened them up maybe that would help? like say traction bars. i know normal traction bars we would drag off in a day but there are these that mount on top. i may give these a shot.
    Originally posted by Baggd2DaXtreeme
    anyone who posts regularly and doesnt donate is a freeloader.
    Quote Originally Posted by banginjimmy(in reference to BlazinLow) View Post
    There are those times where its simply better than real life
    4 Door Love

BlazerINtheWork would that affect the ride quality even more then...wouldnt it stiffen the ass end up?

looks like something i might try....i hate not being able to hammer the throttle without loud ass smaking noises
    Bagged 89 Jimmy

Originally posted by BlazerINtheWork
    might not be a bad idea, do what guiltybydesign did, heres a pic from his "baggin my 88" thread in the fab forum:

but if its the leafs that let the axel come up to far, if you stiffened them up maybe that would help? like say traction bars. i know normal traction bars we would drag off in a day but there are these that mount on top. i may give these a shot.
    That's the plan, but wasn't really planning on cutting the floor until I bag it later. Im surprised though, I envisioned needing a channel all the way across the floor, not just a hump in the middle for the punkin. Is he laying frame with that? Thanks for the pic.

Im wanting to avoid traction bars or anything like that, as I plan on going with a 4 link in the not too distant future. Air shocks, or possibly air assist bags, would be an easy upgrade, especially considering I havent added the few hundred pounds of stereo equipment to the ass end yet.

Anyone know what air shocks I would get for a blazer lowered 6 inches?

Anyone know what air shocks I would get for a blazer lowered 6 inches?
    I have a 5" drop in the back with the notch, still bumped a few times on these crappy roads so I added the monroe air shocks that would be standard equipment. With about 60 psi it raised about 1 inch but rode much better, even with people in the back seat. If I leave it at 30 psi or so it stays low but stiff enuf to handle the roads as long as no one is riding in the back. Gotta love potholes! Hope this helps.

Do you have the mono bell tech drop leaf in the rear?

Are your shackles up against your frame?

Your pumpkin is definatly hitting up against the floor theres' no question about. Your axle will not bottom out in that notch before your pumpkin hit's the floor. You have around 1 1/4 of clearence from your floor to ur pumpkin
    I Cut To Drag

Dammit this sux. Some more things I have to consider now about doing a 5/6 drop. I though c-notch would solve all my problems and didnt even think about pumpkin hitting the floor.

I dont want to buttom out on every bump, but I also dont like the idea of having the pumpkin hit the floor every time I step on the gas. How big of a c-notch can you have without having the pumpkin hiting the floor? I really dont want to cut into the floor. Do new shocks help any? And are there any other options I might have to prevent this from happening?

But yea, Ill consider those traction control springs.
    VLAD

My 95

You guys are minitruckers, stop bitching about the ride, looking cool comes at a price :D

Originally posted by s10blaza
    You guys are minitruckers, stop bitching about the ride, looking cool comes at a price :D
    hell yeah!:bigthumb:
    91 sonoma half bagged
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2610274

http://www.myspace.com/mobtown