Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: '91 Bravada Panel Delivery

'91 Bravada Panel Delivery

I always thought the old panel delivery trucks were cool and always wanted one. But, I also like S-10 Blazers soooo, I thought I would create my own version of an S-10 Panel Delivery. I ended up with a Bravada, which I think is even cooler, but that's another story.

So, a real panel delivery had rear cargo doors. Nobody makes them that I could find, so I am making my own using the existing tailgate as the bottom half. Along the way I decided to make the rear appear to be door but will open gull wing like the mini vans.

First I made a pattern out of styrofoam and headed to the bone yard to try to locate a door that is close to the radius in the upper right hand corner.
    Last edited by toals; 01-28-2005 at 11:13 PM.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    pics would be nice! i like your idea!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Sorry about that . . . I had picture problems
    Fuckin technology!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.0 KB, 964 views)

After only anbout an hour I struck paydirt. "92 Cadillac rear doors. The upper right hand corner is a perfect match. I should have bought a lottery ticket that day !!!
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (51.8 KB, 799 views)

Gutted the doors, sawsalled the top half off (my favorite tool) clamped it up for an initial fit. Came up a little short on the side so I made a filler piece.
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (44.1 KB, 735 views)

Here I have both door pieces cut, fit, tacked to the tailgate and welded together.
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (56.2 KB, 737 views)

Next made some center pieces to form the rest of the doors. Starting to look like a Suburban now.
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (53.4 KB, 674 views)
    Last edited by toals; 02-09-2006 at 11:51 PM.

Then I made some side pieces to tie the two pieces together. All that's left is to create the center seam down the middle.
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (73.8 KB, 708 views)

Now I'm trying to come up with some hinges for the gull wing type open before I finish the rest. I'll head back to the bone yard tomorrow to study some mini vans I guess. Unless any one has another suggestion. I've stared at this thing for about 2 weeks and cut out so many cardboard hinges I'm lost !!!

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    werd that looks nice i saw a blazer at a show that was chopped and paneled, and had the same type off rear doors ur doin

i think yiou shoudl have the whole rear fold down liek a tailgate.. now that woudl be different!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

I still have the tailgate hinges on it now - thats whats holding it on now.

Opening that way is kinda hard on the shins, plus its a long reach when loading the cooler !!!

My thoughts on opening gull wing would allow me to use the existing tail gate latches and I would just have to get some beefier cylinders to hold it open.

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Originally posted by toals
    Now I'm trying to come up with some hinges for the gull wing type open before I finish the rest. I'll head back to the bone yard tomorrow to study some mini vans I guess. Unless any one has another suggestion. I've stared at this thing for about 2 weeks and cut out so many cardboard hinges I'm lost !!!
    I've seen alot of the hotrod guys use hinges out of old pinto hatches. They use them alot when they're going from a barn-door type setup to a full liftgate on the old F-100 panels...seem to work out pretty well....
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

now thats interesting man
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

i like the idea. cant wait to see it all done
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

I'd really like to keep the hinges "hidden" as much as possible. I thought this would be easier than actually making it open like cargo doors. I hate those exposed hinges on Suburbans, cargo vans, etc. The paint chips off and they start rusting - plus it would look smoother without exposed hinges.