Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How-To: Flip your tailgate handle

How-To: Flip your tailgate handle

First things first, the first thing you'll need is a driver's side door handle from a late 50's Chevy pickup. You can also use one from an old conversion van but this is the first thing I found at a junkyard.

This is what the handle looks like, make sure you take the long flatbar that comes with it. I had already bent mine on this pic but it should be straight.

Put the handle on a vise and bend it so it has a "Z" shape to it. You should just be able to eyeball where to place the bends but make sure you don't make the bend that drops down so long that it rubs the bar it will be attaching to..

Drill a small hole about 1/4" diameter close to one edge of the flatbar, but not too close to make one edge very thin.

And now cut the bar about 1" ahead of where you drilled the hole

Now mount the handle on the two raised edges of the inside of the tailgate with self-tapping screws. You want the pivoting point of the flat bar end to be facing up so when you pull the handle up, the tailgate opens.
    I did it like that so in case I ever get locked out, it would be much easier to get a hanger and pull up on it rather than having to push down to open.

Attach the flatbar to the rod on the tailgate using a small U-bolt. You can get those at any stereo shop. Its the ones they use to bolt down the rods when you get power locks .

Now move the handle around to to check the smoothness of motion of the handle and make any adjustments if necessary. I didn't have to mess with mine.

I also got one of the factory tailgate solenoids and wired it up to pop the window. It came stock on some blazers so you may already have it and you just push a button on the dash to pop it. I didn't have it so I just pulled everything I needed and installed it. I will also be wiring it up when I get an alarm so I can pop it via remote.

This is where I stopped today so I don't have pics of the rest but it should just be common sense stuff and putting together.

Remove the outside latch and shave it.

The last thing you have to do is drill a hole in your tailgate cover, put it back on, then just bolt on the handle.

I borrowed one of Mike's pics from BL1 to show what the end result should look like. If you want you can get a fancy billet one to make it look nicer

If anyone has any questions, just let me know and I'll answer em as best as I can :bigthumb:

built not bought pimpinblazer89's Avatar
    came out good , i used that same kind of clamp you used on mine to clamp the cable from the solnoid on to the bar , i also used those clamps for my shaved handles they work great, not to much old cars and trucks in the junk yards up here to get good shit like that, i would have to go in the old abanden(sp) junk yards at nite to get one of those handles..lol
    Jeff
    89 4x4 blazer slammed shaved
    83 2wd blazer stock << frame for my 89
    85 olds 98 daily driver

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pimpinblazer89

AIM: pimpinblazer89

what happend to the pictures?

- Later -
    - Jerry -

Check out my site's for pic's of my Jimmy's & Typhoon!

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    this thread was made over a year and a half agoo.. i would contact s10blaza for pictures and help...
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

yeah true thanks man

- Later -
    - Jerry -

Check out my site's for pic's of my Jimmy's & Typhoon!

would this work for a 2gen blazer(004doorblazerLS)?
    http://www.myspace.com/draganddestroyaz

can s10blaza repost the pics?

I am also interested in seeing pix
    -Practice does not make perfect,
    Perfect practice makes perfect...

arev you guys talking about the tailgate handle on blazers? i did mine... i got sum pics.. and i used a blazer inside door handle..
    ON D FLOOR- the best way to be!!!:cool:

^^^ Ya man post some pics please

here you go..the reason the panel is cut out is that i fully dynamated the inside and was also workin on the plate box....i had an extra tailgate that i cut out the metal from to put the metal back in to keep the gate strong..when i got the handle from the salvage yard i also got the long linkage that goes with it, bent it in a 's' shape to make the rod ride along the tailgates inner rod.. and the tacked it all together.then i measured where the handle was and the started trimming the plastic on the gate, be sure to go little by little or the hole for the handle will be too big..my gate was already coverd in 'gorrila hair' like i call it so i had to use some tape to hold the carpet while the glue dried.. i also forgot to mention i carefully measured and cut the metal so the handle sits in its own pocket, it doesnt move around left or right.. the tab on the handle that the factory uses a screw to hold it in place works great...havent had a problem since and its been over a year.. and looks factory...hope this helps...
    Last edited by ON-D-FLOOR; 09-21-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Nice work. I've seen this in person and it looks 100x better than in the pix.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

That handle come off driver side or does it matter.

i used the drivers side 'cause that one was easily accesible that day.. either handle will work.. hope this helps..

So how would you open the glass with this md? im assuming you shaved out side right? Very nice either way. And thanks for the help.