Thread: rear window hatch and tailgate door won't open

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar

rear window hatch and tailgate door won't open

Power botton up front don't work. Key fob botton popper won't pop. With power locks opened manual hand pushing in button won't open glass. With key in pushing in and not pushing in key won't turn. How the hell do I get in the back of this '97 Blazer? It all used to work fine then one day nothing. New batteries in key fob. What else should I check. I'm about to pull the dash apart to see why the botton up there don't work. My only guess so far is corroded wiring but I can't even check back there till I get the damn thing open! But why won't the key work by hand? Now the wiper is intermittent. Like it aint getting enough juice. I'm sure the fogger's gonna go next then I'll be screwed! What the Hell? HELP!!!
    "All I need iz 1 mic"

wow....i thought mine was just fed up mine has the same problem i did everything you did and i tried to cleanthe inside of the button and all of a sudden this black shit dripped down idk if thats an issue just dont fuck with the fuses because i tried to change the fuse and it blew the new one too right away
    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected
    us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
    munching pills and listening to repetitive music

$10.5 O.B.O

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    So, did you ever get the window or tailgate opened or is it still stuck shut?
    "All I need iz 1 mic"

o its still stuck and my power locks wont work cause i i tried that fuse in the rear hatch its a garage right now to inspect it i will fix it myself so i'll tell u what i did

$10.5 O.B.O

I just posted this on the S10 forum and remembered I saw you guys had the same problem wnhen I was searching for help.

After a while, the mechanism (actuator) that unlocks and releases the rear glass hatch in
    your Blazer or Jimmy will eventually burn out. when it does, there is really no way to open
    the glass and lower the tailgate. The dash push button won't work, the rear key lock will
    not work, the inside tailgat handle will not work, and you can not remove the interior
    tailgate panel to access the mechanism because the screws can only be reach when
    the tailgate is down (awesome GM design feature). The only way to replace the burnt
    out actuator is to open the tailgate which you can't because the actuator is burnt out.

I've read stories that even the dealers don't know what to do, some have even cut up the
    back panel to reach the so-called manuel release. Others said they pulled back the glued
    on carpet to search for it also.

Well if you don't want to hack up the tailgate panel or rip out your carpet,
    here's the easy way to open the glass:

You just pull back the interior tailgate panel right above the bump in the middle
    where the latch is. There are no screws or bolts in that area, you can safely pull it back
    about 2 inches. Then you'll have to stuck your finger in and push down the release bar.
    See the 2 pictures below:

The first pic is of the latch, it's the gold section.
    The second pic shows what you need to push downward.
    When you get your finger back there, you should be able to feel for the part that needs to be pushed down. When that part is pushed down, the glass has been unlocked.

Now that the glass is unlocked, it and the tailgate can be opened. Now you can remove the
    interior tailgate panel, it has one screw on each side and easily lifts off.

The actuator that needs to be replaced costs $58 from the dealer, so if you don't want
    to replace it yet, but still want to open the back, you can leave the panel off and just puch the
    manuel release level. Here's the pic of the tailgate:

It's in the open section right below the latch, hows my fingure pushing it:

I haven't replaced my actuator yet, still trying to find it for cheaper than the dealer wants,
    but hardly any part store guys know what the hell an actuator is. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by 96BIazer; 03-18-2005 at 08:34 AM.

wow dude thats awsome if that really works then your a god i'm goin to have to try it tonight and my buddy is a certified GM mechanic so i get my parts at cost:p: thnx allot

$10.5 O.B.O

jacksonville,Palm Coast, Daytona,Orlando, florida
    i wish i found this post earlier, but either way i have a wall in my truck an i just had to take the entire back half of my truck to get to it yesterday, i broke the plastic panel to get to the manual switch , but when i looked at it the latck were the motor pushed on was behind the tab, i pusded it back into position an know it works fine. but what a pain to get to
    aim*DRAGGINHARDCORE

bagged an dragged

some clips of me draggin
    http://www.hornblasters.com/vide.php?pic=19
    HARDCOREMINIS.net
    pics of my blazer an other stuff
    community.webshots.com/user/thumperc25
    http://www.cardomain.com/profile/thumperc25
    4 door love