Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2WD conversion

2WD conversion

alright guys, should be easy question. Pulled out my busted 700r4 tranny from 84 2door blazer, have 2.8 carbed, want to convert to RWD. what tranny do i need, what other accessories do i need other than a longer driveshaft?Thank you for your help

Umm your truck is already RWD
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

Originally posted by slammins15
    Umm your truck is already RWD
    I guess he didn't notice the drive shaft when he pulled the tranny...:bigthumb:
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

Positively Negative
    his truck is a 4x4...... he wants to convert to 2wd...

you have a couple options

you could get another 4x4 tranny and just disconnect the 4x4 stuff

or, get a 2wd 700r4, im assuming this is what you are wanting to do ... you'll need the drive shaft from a 2wd, or one of the appropriate length ... you'll also need the tranny crossmember from a 2wd, or modify you 4x4 one to work ... and you'll have to remove the driveshaft for the 4x4

why would you want to do this?
    unless its because you have a 2wd trannie lying around i wouldnt do it
    you will still have a front diff. front half shafts and 4wd suspension you cant make it a 2wd just buy swappin some stuff the front frames are different
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

Alright sorry guys, should have been more specific. I am lowering this thing 5/5, for that reason i pulled out the front driveshaft then i said hey why not get rid of the transfer case too. I will never need 4x4 and if i can get a 2wd tranny and a new driveshaft, I would much rather have strictly RWD. Thanks for reminding me 4x4 means I have rwd too;) If anyone has done this, please post. My suspension will remain the same, torsion bar trick in front, blocks and removing springs in back. Thank you.

Positively Negative
    why did you pull the front drive shaft to lower it? ... you didnt have to remove anything ... and if you did need to remove something, it would be the axles.....

dont remove the axles they hold the bearings on the knuckle together
    2009 ford fusion
    1997 bagged and body dropped suburban
    2003 yamaha road star warrior
    still got the 4 Door Love

Originally posted by packofqtips
    dont remove the axles they hold the bearings on the knuckle together

thats why when you take the axle out you knock the end off and put it back in.
    If you can't do your custom work yourself then sell your ride.

ok guys, in reply, i was under the impression that this driveshaft to the front would snap if i lowered it this much. Thats why i pulled it out, but its gunna stay out cuz i dont need the 4wd, whether or not i leave in the transfer case without it, i am undecided, but i would rather remove it.

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    you cant put a 2wd drive tranny in a 4wd truck the drive shaft will hit the crossmember for the torssion bars, Ive already tried it and thats what happend.
    So the transfer case has to stay there, but the driveshaft for the front can come out if you want, you will need to pull out the front haflshafts, and knock off the end that goes through the hub and put them back in.
    And if you have a 2.8 motor you have a 200r4 tranny not a 700r4
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end
    Custom drop lower control arms/ Now installed lower balljoint steped up 2.5", torsion bar bolts crank to the top.

the pics are up on cardomain.Control arms are in.

Originally posted by slammed_jimmy
    you cant put a 2wd drive tranny in a 4wd truck the drive shaft will hit the crossmember for the torssion bars, Ive already tried it and thats what happend.
    So the transfer case has to stay there, but the driveshaft for the front can come out if you want, you will need to pull out the front haflshafts, and knock off the end that goes through the hub and put them back in.
    And if you have a 2.8 motor you have a 200r4 tranny not a 700r4
    man thats has got to be a bunch of bs because the driveshaft should not hit the crossmember for the torsion bar,the driveshaft will run just like the stock 4wd driveshaft did just longer
    If you can't do your custom work yourself then sell your ride.

the driveshaft on a 4x4 starts after the t-bar crossmember
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

This is getting really confusing, lol, lots of info, people said i have 700r4, and my pan is rectangular, not the shape of a 200. and if anyone can, step by step on how to pull out halfshaft? Thanks again guys. This is quite the project, found a nice pile of bondo when i was prepping for a rollpan today:)

Positively Negative
    Originally posted by thechopper69
    This is getting really confusing, lol, lots of info, people said i have 700r4, and my pan is rectangular, not the shape of a 200. and if anyone can, step by step on how to pull out halfshaft? Thanks again guys. This is quite the project, found a nice pile of bondo when i was prepping for a rollpan today:)

remove the wheel
    remove the shock
    take the caliper off and sit it to the side
    remove the rotor
    remove the nut on the hub
    remove the 6 bolts holding the shaft to the differential
    use a 2 or 3 jaw puller to push the axle out of the hub
    remove the axle from the truck
    remove the boot from the end of the axle that goes through the hub
    clean the grease out so you can see inside
    there is a snap ring that holds it together, you can use the special took for it, or you can use needle nose pliers
    expand the ring and pull the axle apart
    put the cup shaped end of the axle back through the hub and throw the rest of the axle away
    put everything else back together

the shock doesnt neccessarily have to be removed, its just nice to have it out of the way

torque the hub nut to 180lbs when you put it back together