Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2WD conversion

Originally posted by slammed_jimmy
    Do you know that the driveshaft has an angle on them. Its not a straight line from the tail stock to the rear end. So when i put the shaft in that slight angle made it hit the t-bar x-member.

man I could be wrong but I think just about every one piece driveshaft I have seen was pretty much straight.if it was not straight it would wobble and shit.
    If you can't do your custom work yourself then sell your ride.

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    Originally posted by mpeace
    if the 4wd trans goes past the crossmember and it is bigger than a driveshaft then a driveshaft should go past the crossmember the other way.
    the 4wd tranny does not go past the t-bar x-member. The tailstock of the transfer stops just after the x-member, therefore the driveshaft starts after the t-bar x-member. And the tailstock is just a bit smaller then the shaft.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end
    Custom drop lower control arms/ Now installed lower balljoint steped up 2.5", torsion bar bolts crank to the top.

the pics are up on cardomain.Control arms are in.

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    Yes you are right all driveshafts are straight they have to be.
    what im saying is that its not a straight line from the tranny to the rear end. Thats is why they put u-joint at both ends of the driveshaft.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end
    Custom drop lower control arms/ Now installed lower balljoint steped up 2.5", torsion bar bolts crank to the top.

Knob Noster Occupation: Pimping you out. Photoshop Diety.

Not trying to start shit, but I think I know what this misunderstanding is.

On the 2wd 4door blazer, that extra cross member is called a carrier bearing cross member. Your driveshaft shouldn't be one piece, because of the length and the drive angle, you have a little bitty shaft, and then the normal driveshaft. Trust me, extended cabs are the same way.

Now, the cross member for the 4wd... here's a diagram to help visualize this.

The driveshaft is longer, and the mounting point moves back towards the transmission. However, the torsion bar mount does not move back. Simple installation of a carrier bearing on the torsion bar cross member should fix this problem.

Hope this helps.

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    Originally posted by otter

Not trying to start shit, but I think I know what this misunderstanding is.

On the 2wd 4door blazer, that extra cross member is called a carrier bearing cross member. Your driveshaft shouldn't be one piece, because of the length and the drive angle, you have a little bitty shaft, and then the normal driveshaft. Trust me, extended cabs are the same way.

Now, the cross member for the 4wd... here's a diagram to help visualize this.

The driveshaft is longer, and the mounting point moves back towards the transmission. However, the torsion bar mount does not move back. Simple installation of a carrier bearing on the torsion bar cross member should fix this problem.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thank you very much that is what i have been trying to do tell this guy the hole time. That my friend is the best picture to discribe everything.

And as far as a 2wd having a t-bar x-member, i would still like to see it. But i think i holds the carrier bearing.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end

Banned
    Hey thechopper69, take the front propshaft out, and the front drive axles like someone else described how to do. Then take out the front differential. That will remove unnessisary weight and it will open up the front end more so there will be less components to bind up or break. The tranny, unless you want to run true duals (and even then you still dont have to), just stick with the same style tranny unless you really want that extra weight reduction.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

there is no carrier bearing on the 2wd blazer. the only ones i seen them on were the x cab pick ups. but any who. heres the pics of my 92 2wd 4dr blazer with the t-bar member. you can see there is more than enough room between the drive shaft and cross member

91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Knob Noster Occupation: Pimping you out. Photoshop Diety.

Pics make all the difference. :)

Originally posted by otter

Pics make all the difference. :)
    yeah they do. damn i never realized how dirty under my blazer was till now. lol
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)

hey syclonekid43

Thanks for the pics!That is the way I thought the driveshaft should run on a 4wd with a 2wd tran it should just go over the t-bar x-member.The t-bar x-member should not phase the driveshaft at all.

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    sorry that is not a torsion bar crossmember. Torsion bar crossmembers are not solid mounted to the frame, they have rubber bushings on both ends that fasten to the frame, and can be revoved. The crossmember in the pic you gave is factory rivited to the frame rails.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end

sorry that is not a torsion bar crossmember. Torsion bar crossmembers are not solid mounted to the frame, they have rubber bushings on both ends that fasten to the frame, and can be revoved. The crossmember in the pic you gave is factory rivited to the frame rails.
    and you say your a gm tech?
    then you would know there is another crossmember on the inside of that one where the torsion mounts are hooker to. on a 4x4 it has that crossmember i posted a pic of them another one on the inside of that. which is the one that has the moujts on it. so yes that is a 4x4 cross member
    Last edited by syclonekid43; 03-26-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Positively Negative
    ok ... i have a way to settle this

who cares if it is a torsion bar crossmember ... it sits in the same location, and is the same size, as a t-bar crossmember ... and it is in a 2 wheel drive

therefore, if you put a 2wd tranny in a 4x4, there should be no issue with the driveshaft hitting the crossmember

i've seen people put 2wd trannies in 4x4s without a problem

and if you does hit, then it shouldnt be in the way that much and you could notch it out and weld in some extra support

problem solved

STILL PLAYS WITH TRUCKS
    problem solved man i will not go any further on this topic either. Thanks for the pic.
    SOON TO BE
    2000 S10 front end

problem solved man i will not go any further on this topic either. Thanks for the pic.

man have you seen the light yet and see that it will work?man for you to be a GM Tech you should know whats what on a gm cars and trucks.