Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Brake/Tall Spindle????'s

Question Big Brake/Tall Spindle????'s

Just trying to sort out the details before I buy anything.

I got the Tubular upper A-arms figured out.
    Spindles: Most info says to use 77-90 Impala spindles. Somewhere I saw a suggestion to use Belltech 2105 spindles to keep the 2" drop. Well the Belltech spindles are for 92-96 Impala SS. Since this spindle is also for the Caprice Wagon I assumed it was for the 12" brakes. Any comments?:

I'm not real thrilled about using drop springs to get the 2" since it also has a V-8.

So anyways here's the list:
    Global West G-body Upper A-arms
    Belltech 2105 Spindles 92-96 Impala SS
    Calipers 92 Caprice
    '90 F-body 1LE 12" rotors

I suppose I can go to the wrecking yard and get a used spindle to see if it fits. Then take it to the parts store and make sure they give me the right caliper.
    Gotta get rid of these left over 95 Camaro parts. Need doors???

Suffering from C.R.S. crafty one's Avatar
    You've got your shopping list. You don't have to use the drop spindels. I think Caprice, mid to late 70's camaro, & some Buicks used the same spindels. The only other thing that might throw a kink in it is the outer tie-rod ends.... not sure on those.

If ZZ4 can step in he has the lowdown.....

Just stay away from the Police(9c1) cars. They use a larger lower balljoint.
    It looks like everyone else's maroon 4dr....

Your headed in the right direction there. I know a few of the aftermarket arms use the larger upper ball joint. Not sure if the Global Wests use it, or the stock style.

Just wanna give you a heads up. Might need to have the upper spindle ball joint hole reamed to fit the later style if they do.

You will notice some bumpsteer afterwards. But braking is dramatic over the stock set up.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    Your headed in the right direction there. I know a few arms use the larger ball .

Just wanna give you head. Might need to have the ball hole reamed to fit

You will notice some bumps. But is dramatic over stock
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Too much time on your hands Sean....just too much. :gunfire: :rofl:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Called the wrecking yard to see if they had a 92 impala/caprice/fleetwood/roadmaster spindle today and they said yep, it's on the shelf, come on down. So I drive all the way across town in heavy traffic and I go in and the guy says "nope don't have one. The cars been here 6 years so I know there's not one on it. Got one in Vancouver though." That's another hour plus driving and it's 4:00 and they close at 5:00.

So I ask the guy "how about if you just go look to make sure" so he repeats "The cars been here 6 years so I know there's not one on it." He wouldn't even look.

Rat Bastard.:finger: :finger: :finger:

So I left the SOB's with 2 fresh black marks in their parking lot.

3 hours wasted. Me pissed!

So anybody got measurements from a 93 or so Impala spindle.

I did pick up cores for the 12" caliper and master cylinder from an 88 Caprice and scored on a tinted back window for the Blazer for $45.

Got a question about using the Caprice master cylinder. The reservoir is the angled type not flat across like the S10.

How do you remove the reservoir?

I tried prying and pounding on it for quite awhile with no luck. It's only the core so I'm not worried about breaking it. Reman masters come with new reservoirs.

Anyone know of a similiar large bore master cylinder that has a reservoir like the S10?

I had one, and it didn't seem to work very well at all. I ended up swapping back to my stock master cylinder. Worked a whole lot better for me.

I was recently talking with another guy about it, and he said his was working fine. He did have the rear port hooked up to the front lines, and front port for the rear lines, where as I had front to front, rear to rear.

My pedal was good and firm,a nd didnt take a lof of pressure or travel to get the truck stopped. Hopefully adding the rear discs won't change that or I'll have to figure something out.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Rear disc's are great. I've got the 8.5" rear with disc's and used an older model disc/disc proportioning valve. This is a 50/50 valve.

The problem with it is that the rears lock up a little before the fronts. I found out the hard way making an emergency stop. Went sideways on me and I ended up in oncoming traffic. :ohno:

Some dumb ass stepped off the curb into rush hour traffic. It's the law to stop here and pedestrians know it and use it to stop traffic. It's something like a $500 fine if you are in the crosswalk the same time someone is walking. They even have sting operations to catch people. The county didn't help by putting cross walks at popular crossings on a 5 lane highway about 1/2 mile from the nearest intersection or lights. About the last 500 feet or so of highway right before the crosswalk has 100's of skid marks. :nono:

Back on topic. So instead of using an adjustable proportioning valve I want to get larger front brakes to match the rear.

I've got an adjustable screw type plumbed into the rear now. Running LS1 rear discs on my 8.5" as well. Fronts go straight to the brakes, less having to to through the line lock. Hopefully my truck will be driveable by next weekend. Just got her fired up last night for the first time since I put it away last fall.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

yo save your money on them parts, convert to c5 brakes not that expensive at all

you need to modify the stock (or drop spindles) spindles from an 82-87 g-body or 82-97 s-10 spindles (the ones with the servicable bearings) and a bracket that will alow mounting of the corvett calipers

you also have to machine the rotor to fit the corvetts 13" rotor on the the hub

i have the bracket template in c.a.d. if interested i can give you better details... e-mail me at lowcalcustoms@comcast.net

this may actually work with the non servicable bearing set ups as well not 100% sure if the new rotor will fit over the hub

also if you have drums in the back you can easily convert them to 11" camaro/firebird ls1 rear disc brakes... i have info on that as well.
    Last edited by lowcalcustoms; 06-30-2005 at 10:50 PM.

This isn't just for better braking, it also dramatically increasing handling, and high speed stability.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

yeah ive done the b body mod on a grand national and the guy said there was really no diff at all in the handleing, we did a series of mods one by one so see how everything worked out, he really liked the frt and rear hotchkis (spelling?) sway bars the most.

if you go to the yard be damn sure you take a tape measure lol, the customer learned that after 3 times getting me the spindles with the 11 rotors which have diff caliper mounting then the 12 inchers lol

Ok, well MINE was dramatic
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear