Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NEO's 4-LINK PROJECT

Originally posted by Blazerfreak20
    while we are on the subject can someone explain sd's super pivot joints? they seem like they would unscrew? I don't get it are they supposed to just allow the bar to pivot up and down or twist?
    My buddy has the super piviots joints... the bar is able to twist the ball stays straight...
    1986 S15 Jimmy Bagged and Driven regularly
    Vehicles are meant to be driven not trailer’d

Originally posted by metaldrp
    Truck looks really good so far. Link looks nice I like the setup. Are you planning some time later on to lay on a bigger wheel? Just asking cause the notch is really huge for what your laying on right now.

You also going to be running stock rear seat?
    I may run bigger wheels, later on down the road... it's best to go as big as possible that way you don't have to change it later... that is the biggest we could go with the SD Blazer notch he says it will lay out on 22's...:bigthumb:

No back seat... I don't like passengers anyway...hahaha sh!t I haven't even had the passenger seat in since last spring...LOL:D
    1986 S15 Jimmy Bagged and Driven regularly
    Vehicles are meant to be driven not trailer’d

Originally posted by SlimJimmy
    They bind, but the poly bushing allows some play so its not a big deal.
    Here is a pic of the ball inside a super pivot.

It gets sandwiched between some poly material, then by washers. The whole assembly is held together with snap rings. There is no place for it to unscrew.

Here is apic of one apart
    www.nekustoms.com
    Canadian Distributor For
    ~Suicide Doors~Air-Zenith~CanDo Specialties~

info@nekustoms.com
    (403) 813-7825

you should really have that bolt parallel to the axle for that super pivot *and any rod end* to function properly..

just my .02
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Originally posted by slow 89
    you should really have that bolt parallel to the axle for that super pivot *and any rod end* to function properly..

just my .02
    Why is that? Explain?
    www.nekustoms.com
    Canadian Distributor For

info@nekustoms.com
    (403) 813-7825

just my .02
    The more parrallel it is the less it will bind. But, I might have to disagree with you having to do that to make it function properly. It will still function properly (in my opinion, but maybe im wrong, if I am feel free to tell me otherwise:) ) It will just have more friction. With the super pivot I cant see it matter either way however. Since it is 'friction-free' (not actually, but close enough) it shouldnt matter. Again, if im wrong, definetely feel free to correct me.:)

reason i say that is.. your axle goes up and down *obviously*.. so with a rod end tilted like that it tries to pull sideways as the rod end pivots like slimjimmy said it will *work* but your putting a LOT more stress on the rod ends then is necessary and your asking for problems down the road
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

i dont know but, how do you mount a link straight if its a tri angle link?
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mycardomainpage

reason i say that is.. your axle goes up and down *obviously*.. so with a rod end tilted like that it tries to pull sideways as the rod end pivots like slimjimmy said it will *work* but your putting a LOT more stress on the rod ends then is necessary and your asking for problems down the road
    Then how do you explain all this non binding flex?

and
    www.nekustoms.com
    Canadian Distributor For

info@nekustoms.com
    (403) 813-7825

Like I said the super pivots wont bind like that...or very little anyway. Mounting poly bushing like that will however put a bind in the bushings. It is definetely better to have them straight (the poly bushings) but it will still work. For how long? I don't know, I dont know anybody that has had a bagged vehicle for many years. Personally, mine are crooked.

On the super pivots, since it is a ball on the end. It doesnt really matter where the 'axle' of the ball is (parrallel or crooked) since it is a 'friction free' ball, it will act the same as if it was mounted straight.
    Last edited by SlimJimmy; 03-31-2006 at 01:14 AM.

If sides are what you are after, Then spend the cheddar on the Super Pivots.

Most rear setups will not notice the "Binding" of a standard bushing. Evan a paralell 4-link will "bind" on side to side articulation.:bigthumb:
    www.nekustoms.com
    Canadian Distributor For

info@nekustoms.com
    (403) 813-7825

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    realisically, when you set your 4-link up, the bars are set in a neutral position at ride height...no stress on any of the bushings at all. Your axle doesnt spend a whole lot of time too far out of that position. Even at 10-12" of lift, you'll only be pulling on those bushings maybe 8-10 degrees out of neutral (if the bushings are not parallel to the axle on the triangulated 4-link bars)...poly bushings are good for around 30 degrees of articulation...more than you will EVER see in a regular bagged setup...hell, thats more than most rock crawlers see (talk about articulation..lol). The super pivot joints are nice, but not necessary, and just add cost to the setup...
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

If it is built properly, poly bushings are fine. You want to run the ends at a 90 degree angle to the bars to get the most articulation. Running the ends parallel to the axle will not articulate as well. And is the reason people need super pivot ends.
    Here is a picture of a 23 ford roadster in my shop, with a triangulated four link, and poly bushed ends. The front of the chassis is still level, and there isn't any engine weight on it, and the rear tire is 14" off the ground.

Last edited by IRSd_mini; 03-31-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    Larry
    www.innovativeairsuspension.com
    AirRide, KP, MIC, SMC, Parker, Viair... I sell all the good stuff.

do you mind me asking how long your upper and lowers are? thanks

Originally posted by down2earths10
    do you mind me asking how long your upper and lowers are? thanks
    I believe 25-3/4" for all 4
    www.nekustoms.com
    Canadian Distributor For

info@nekustoms.com
    (403) 813-7825