Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: used transmission install

used transmission install

I am planning on putting a different used transmission in my 93 4x4. Are there any parts that I should replace before I put it in? I was planning on putting two new shift solenoids, but are they any other parts that would be good to replace?

fluid and filter

Ultra Flat Black Member 88S10_Blazer's Avatar
    best time to get the whole thing rebuilt and throw in a few performance parts is when its allready out. be a lot cheaper now, and that way once you get it in, you know it'll work like new, becuase it basically is
    Carl.

if you didn't build it with your own two hands, its not really yours.

http://www.myspace.com/7711952

good idea, but i'm on a somewhat tight budget...plus my vavle guides, one valve cover gasket, and possibly the oil pan leaks. My engine could use a rebuild, but that isn't exactly in the budget either. aside from fluid, filter and the two solenoids i bought...anything else that would be easy to change maintenance or performance wise?

The rebuild kit itself isn't too expensive, but how hard is it to rebuild a transmission?

they can be difficult ive never done and probably never will but ive been told. i would install a shift kit for it i think thats the 4l60e i dont know if they make it for those but i would look.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

i personally have never touched the insides of one, nor do i want to...too many things can go wrong if u don't know what ur doin
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    I'd love to keep the blacks and other contributing members of society around. Move the niggers and wiggers and all those who think they are "owed a living" to Austrailia.
    2 DOOR LOVE

I already bought two shift solenoids and a corvette servo for it. Is a tranny filter a tranny filter or is one brand better than the rest? Any recommendations for type/brand of tranny fluid?

What exactly is a shift kit? I've heard of them, but is it like an internal mechanical piece or some computer chip?
    Last edited by blazerbrad84; 07-14-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Ultra Flat Black Member 88S10_Blazer's Avatar
    inside of a automatic transmission is like a 4 acre hedge maze, unless you know exactly what to do and when and where, your done. i'd recomend taking it too a shop.

filters are basicaly filters, never heard of any being any better or worse. more or less the same for the fluid, some stuff out there will last longer than others, just gotta look around.

shift kits basically make the trans shift faster into and out of each gear by getting the fluid there faster. some require to drill out the holes the fluid flows through a little bigger some don't.

BTW, corvette servo was a good choice, got the same in mine. the servo and a good shift kit you should be set for a while. mine barks second damn hard, just gotta play with the kickdown cable a little bit, you should be able to adjust it. but if you bring it to a shop, tell them how you want it to shift and they should be able to hook you up.
    Carl.

if you didn't build it with your own two hands, its not really yours.

http://www.myspace.com/7711952

thanks for the advice

Originally posted by 88S10_Blazer
    inside of a automatic transmission is like a 4 acre hedge maze, unless you know exactly what to do and when and where, your done. i'd recomend taking it too a shop.

filters are basicaly filters, never heard of any being any better or worse. more or less the same for the fluid, some stuff out there will last longer than others, just gotta look around.

shift kits basically make the trans shift faster into and out of each gear by getting the fluid there faster. some require to drill out the holes the fluid flows through a little bigger some don't.

BTW, corvette servo was a good choice, got the same in mine. the servo and a good shift kit you should be set for a while. mine barks second damn hard, just gotta play with the kickdown cable a little bit, you should be able to adjust it. but if you bring it to a shop, tell them how you want it to shift and they should be able to hook you up.
    Dont mess with your TV cable! Get it adjusted somewhere with a pressure guage and never touch it, you will destroy the tranny with that damn TV cable, happend to me already after only 20K miles.

Thanks, but I was told that the in 93 they switched to the electronic 4l60e transmissions that did not have tv cables.

Bad news

My uncle and I changed the transmission over the course of the last two days. We should have been done in a day, but the junkyard gave us the non-electronic tranny. So they gave us an electronic one that was right and said it worked. We get it all put back together last night and the damn thing won't shift out of first gear. It also sounds like its running on 5 cylinders now too. I know one of the exhaust doughnuts is on backwards, would that make it run bad? Any ideas why the tranny won't shift? The fluid was nasty when we opened it up. We changed the fluid, the filter, and the two shift solenoids. This maybe the straw that breaks my back, any help would be appreciated.

bump
    Last edited by billp; 08-11-2005 at 01:14 PM.
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

I'm afraid to say this, but the trans you put in might be toast. But there are a few things to check first.

There is the electrical connector on the passengers side of the trans for the shift soleniods, make sure its plugged in.

Did your truck throw a code with the first trans, if so did you disconnect the battery. The easyest way to clear the code is to disconnect the battery. When 1993 and up blazers have trans failures and throw codes the ecm goes into limp mode. In this mode it cuts the power of the engine down so you don't destory the trans. If code is not cleared it will remain in limp mode till it is.

How nasty is nasty. Did the fuild smell burnt? Or was it red with streaks of brown in it?