Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: used transmission install

Originally posted by billp
    The tv cable may not be adjusted right or it may not be inside the trans. Inside the trans near the valve body iy pushes on a kind of plunger which controls the shift pressure, but check on top of engine first
    He said he has an electronic tranny so there would be no TV cable.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

My bad, is a 93 supposed to have a electronic trans
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

Yeah I think 93 is the year they changed.

I'll try disconnecting the battery today. We plugged everything in, i'll go over the plugs again if i can get at them. My other uncle suggested checking the filter to make sure the seal isn't leaking, because it won't shift if it can't suck up fluid. Would a vacuum line make it idle real bad? Its a pretty rough idle, worse than when a different vacuum line came off a while back.

here what I found out. The Vss ( vehicle speed sensor) may be putting out a bad signal the Vss does control shifting. It can usually be diagnosed with a automotive scanner

Ok, does it matter that i don't have any check engine lights or anything?

Not from what I was told. I believe it's a voltage value, it may be putting something out but not the right amount.It could be that or a fried trans. Check a book, it may tell you more.

As much as i hate to say it, i think its fried. The junkyard had it sitting somewhere in the yard, unknown mileage. The fluid was black and there was tons of grit in the bottom of the pan. If i'm lucky i can give them my old tranny so I don't have to pull another tranny. No idea what i'm gonna do with the truck, maybe part it or make it a woods beater.

I can rent an ODBI scanner for 200 bucks, will that tell me what's wrong or is there a different scanner?

Ok, my uncle just talked to the junk yard and they said it shifted. They want the vss checked before i bring it back. Any idea where that is located? Maybe on the transfer case, i'm going to check now.

Would I get an OBD1 24 code if my VSS was bad? We don't get a code, but I do have the rough idle and no shifting associated with the VSS code. First gear works, you can stomp on it and 1st will rev way up there and not shift. As soon as you let off the tranny will "shift" idk what its in, but the engine just revs a lot and the truck doesn't move very well. I do have park, reverse, neutral, 1st and the "unknown gear." I was told my VSS wasn't bad because my speedometer worked. If my speedo works is it beyond doubt that the sensor is good? I am going to put the old shift solenoids back in the transmission tomorrow, because the junkyard swears up and down that the transmission was good.

Also, what is the "limp" or "limph" mode? I was told that if something goes wrong, the tranny goes into this mode where it will be sluggish so the tranny can't be ruined any further. I disconnected the battery today and that didn't help at all. I am running out of ideas here.

Originally posted by blazerbrad84

I can rent an ODBI scanner for 200 bucks, will that tell me what's wrong or is there a different scanner?
    You can make an obd1 scanner with a paperclip,coat hanger or any other piece of scrap wire.you just have to stick it in the A and B terminals(top row 2 farthest right terminals) on the ALDL under the dash. When you do this turn the key to the on position(do not start engine) and the service engine light will flash the appriate number of times to show any codes that are stored example one flash pause 2 flashes(code 12) means the is no codes to show.
    all the codes are listed in the general electric forum if you don't have a haynes manual.

Code 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor - A Fault in this Circuit should be
    Indicated Only When the Vehicle is in Motion.

Limp home mode is basically the ECM going into a closed loop basically having your engine run in a "safe" mode to get you home so you can service the engine.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slammins15
    [B][COLOR=green]Code 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor - A Fault in this Circuit should be
    Indicated Only When the Vehicle is in Motion.

OK, if i can't start the truck with the jumper in there, how do i test for it? Can i start the truck with the OBD1 code reader on there? I will go rent one today if i can. Otherwise I was going to pull the sensor to see if it looked messed up. My uncle is convinced that it isn't the VSS because the speedometer works, but I still think it is the VSS. Its just too coincidental that I have the same symptoms. IDK

Edit: I am so tempted to just buy the 25 dollar sensor and put it in, but I would really like to test for it first.
    Last edited by blazerbrad84; 08-12-2005 at 08:41 AM.

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar
    just out of curiosity, i know its electronic, but is your kickdown cable connected and adjusted properly, just a question
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

There is no kick-down cable, on the electronic trannies there is a harness instead of the little cable hook-up