Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: used transmission install

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar
    Originally posted by blazerbrad84
    There is no kick-down cable, on the electronic trannies there is a harness instead of the little cable hook-up
    kickdown not tv, its located next to the throttle body comes in along the throttle linkage, trust me its there cuz it is on the second gens
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

Oh, my bad. I thought they were the same thing. Umm...idk why or how that would come out of adjustment.

Ok, the code only shows up when the vehicle is moving. The OBD1 code reader can't be on when the truck is running. A live scope type deal would have to be used, but I can't exactly get it to a shop like this. Does anybody know if the VSS is the only speed sensor? The speedometer works, but the problems I am having are characteristic of the VSS not talking to the ECM. When I get home from work tonight I am going to disconnect the VSS and see if the speedometer still works.

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar
    forget about the kickdown, if u disconnct the vss ur speedo should stop working, if the code ur gettin is for the vss change it most part stores will give you some type of return policy if for some reason that dont fix it, if not just blame it on some kid behind the counter and ull get your money back, but sounds like if u change that everything should work, but i dunno cuz depending on how good the trans actually is, i mean if its out of a car the junkyard prolly used air to check the valve body and check shifting, the trans could still be bad:bigthumb:
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

That's the thing though, I'm not getting the code because I can't read the codes when the truck is moving. Its just idling poorly and doesn't shift right, I just don't know if replacing the sensor is worth a shot. I will try disconnecting it tonight though.

Disconnecting the VSS did not change the idle or the shifting. It did cause the speedometer to stop working, but that's it.

I took it to a mechanic that i know and he said that you should never use silicone on a tranny pan gasket, the filter was not all the way in there, and the solenoids were the wrong ones. I will find out tomorrow if these changes fix it. I sure hope so.