Thread: service engine soon light on

service engine soon light on

First I have a 93 blazer w/ 4.3vortech cpi engine. Well my service engine soon light has come on a few times in the past 3 days right after I start my truck, after it's been sitting for 5 hours or more. It turns off within one minute of driving it. I ran the diagnostic mode and its a code 43. My truck has had weird problems since I bought it. When I start it sometimes I just hear one click then nothing, any other time it starts right up. When my truck idles I can feel a shake(and see it if hood is up) but if I give it gas it seems smooth. Last problem is real weird. Whenever I start to run out of gas (1/4 to 1/8 tank) If I corner real hard my engine will choke like its got no gas. I've listened to the fuel pump and it sounds ok. Mechanic said just keep it full of gas. So if any of you guys have any ideas as to what my truck is doing let me know.

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar
    How many miles do you got on it?

also how long sence you last oil change?

with that info and what you already gave I could get a better answer for you most likly. I wanna say it has to do with the throttle body. I'm currently driving a 8? olds, it has the 4.3 in it with a carb. It does alot of the same things (especially in the winter). I have decided it needs a rebuild on the carb and also the fuel filters changed. But I'm not spending a damn cent on that POS. hell, the tranny would be what I would fix first... NO REVERSE! try driving that all day. but like I said I'm not spending any time nor money on it, hell my passenger headlight has been out for 5 or more months :smoker: But yah, get me a lil more info, and I do a lil research for yah... I'll get you answers
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

ok, first question, is the check engine staying on, or is it just flashing on, then going off.....and you don't have a throttle body problem, cause you don't have a throttle body motor. Take the top plate of you intake off where it says vortec.....then take that round sensor off both will be torx head screws, that little sensor is basically a air diverter through the intake, anyway take a flashlight and shine it into the intake if you see fuel you either have a hole in the fuel line, bad regulator, or the injector is bad, and I mean injector cause you only have one! you can also check the middle spark plug on the passenger side and the front and rear plugs on the drivers side see if they are fuel fouled.......

my guess it that you either have a bad injector, which those motors are notorious for, or you have a EGR valve problem due to carbon, which those motors are also notorious for......

Your code 43 is a Electoronic Spark Contorl retard signal has been on for too long or the system has unit had failed a functional check.......check on the passenger side floor board and pull the carpet up just to the left of the kick panel, see if there is a little brown wire with a white stripe that is disconnected, that is you engine timing control wire, I can't give you any more accurate guess's without knowing if any of the problems I told you to check and see if they were bad...

P.S.....check your fuel pressure, don't just keep your tank full, it should read somewhere in the 40 psi area......

Ok I just did an oil change 1000 miles ago, at 143,000. Had a tune up done when I bought it at 137,000. Just did a fuel filter change last week. It's got 144147 right now. I figure that at the most my engine has got another 50,000 miles on it. I don't want to put hardly any money in it. Better to save for a v8. I was worried somone would say injector, those are expensive. But I would like to get my daily driver to run better. About the light "It turns off within one minute of (starting to) drive it." As for the intake being wet I'll have to take a look I guess. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by slurfius; 07-16-2002 at 06:37 PM.