Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: improving gas mileage on 4.3

improving gas mileage on 4.3

As gas prices keep rising I am trying to look into maybe any modifications for a 4.3L 1999 Blazer 4x4 to improve my gas mileage whereever possible. Right now I am getting about 18-20mpg on the high way which I guess all in all isn't too bad. I was looking into a cold air intake system or possibly a chip if they even make one for a blazer. Does anybody have any good suggestions on what I can do to get the best mileage out of my car?

Thanks
    1999 LT Blazer 4dr

I posted a while back bitching about my gas milage...it was down to about 13mpg.

I did a K&N drop in filter and a flowmaster 40 series muffler, made the truck sound great, helped with the mpg a bit. The main thing that was killing me was tire pressure, air em up and see if that helps....and it's cheaper than a fliter and a flowmaster.
    99 ZQ8 -

Blazin Low's Corporate Rep for Sprint-Nextel.

BUY SOME!

new- Bumpin_Bravada
    Something you might look into on the 4.3's with the throttle bodies would be the breather that runs from the valve covers to the back of the air filter spacer. Atleast on mine, it was blowing oil back throught the throttle body and I'm sure we all know what that does to gas mileage. I put on a regular breather that you find on older small blocks and it works great and gas mileage has improved.

I still cant figure you how Chevy screwed up on these motors, they have 88 more cubic inches and probly 50-75 more horsepower yet a tuned small block 350 will still get just as good of gas mileage as a 4.3. Sound fishy...well I'm thinkin fish fry.
    Last edited by bumpin_blaza; 08-22-2005 at 01:09 PM.

check ur fuel filter..mines shot, my truck doesnt start up right away, after i get my truck filled up i smell gas for about 10 minutes..it sucks i gotta change it out, im lucky if i can get 10 mpg to the right now, i just recharged my airraid airfilter too

94 4dr 2wd jimmy - GONE!!
    98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

STFU YOU MOFO!!!!!!!!!!! 96scraper's Avatar

Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

Your doing alot better than me.. I have a 96...get 8 mpg around town..16 on highway.... I have a K+N air filter and flowmaster delta flow 50 series.... I get 175 miles to a full tank.... I have michelin street tires...XW4's and run 44 psi.... any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

Originally posted by 96scraper
    Your doing alot better than me.. I have a 96...get 8 mpg around town..16 on highway.... I have a K+N air filter and flowmaster delta flow 50 series.... I get 175 miles to a full tank.... I have michelin street tires...XW4's and run 44 psi.... any suggestions would be appreciated!

if you have a stock engine you have serious problems! 8mpg is very bad! a mildly beefed up 350 would get better than that.
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

i have a stck 4.3 when i first got it i was able to go almost 300 miles on 1 tank. now ill be lucky if i can get 150

98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

Registered User detroit pride86's Avatar
    Originally posted by FeTTo
    i have a stck 4.3 when i first got it i was able to go almost 300 miles on 1 tank. now ill be lucky if i can get 150

:eek:

well now i dont feel that bad, i get like 320 to a tank, and i thought i had shitty mpg

My brother has a '95 S10 4x4 with a 4.3/5 speed and he gets 21 mpg normally and he drives like an idiot.
    I was lucky to get 17 out of my '96 Blazer driving decently.
    Paul
    '05 Hyundai Elantra GLS- 2.0 DOHC/5 speed
    '92 Ford Mustang LX- 5.0/AOD

Re: Re: Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

Originally posted by boominrick
    if you have a stock engine you have serious problems! 8mpg is very bad! a mildly beefed up 350 would get better than that.
    Yes the engine is stock.... I have a K+N air filter and flowmaster exhaust so it breathes pretty good. I dont know why it gets like 175 miles to the full tank.....and thats highway driving too...125 if city type driving... the engine runs strong, dosent smoke or burn oil... engine idels smoothe and accelerates strong.....maybe bad fuel injectors, or the injector unit is weak??? what do you guys think????
    Originally posted by thechariot
    go punch him in the dick.

Originally posted by RustyButTrusty Asshole Drivers - 0, Me - 1
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2117279

1996 Silver, Black int... many mods.....

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar

Re: Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

:eek: 44 psi, let some of that air out fucker, ur gunna have a blow out soon enough
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

Re: Re: Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

Originally posted by LOWnSLOnoma
    :eek: 44 psi, let some of that air out fucker, ur gunna have a blow out soon enough
    LOL!!! well the max limit is 44....I might lower to 40....trying anything to get better gas mileage!

Re: Re: Re: Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

LOL!!! well the max limit is 44....I might lower to 40....trying anything to get better gas mileage!
    max is 44, doesnt mean to put it on 44,u dont wanna hit a pothole and wind up veering off the road into a tree becuase u had a blowout

take it from me, my wheel snapped off the truck, that was scrary enough and we were lucky

98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: improving gas mileage on 4.3

Originally posted by FeTTo
    max is 44, doesnt mean to put it on 44,u dont wanna hit a pothole and wind up veering off the road into a tree becuase u had a blowout

take it from me, my wheel snapped off the truck, that was scrary enough and we were lucky
    Wow!!! thats scary!!! I find if I run like 5 pounds lower than the max I get the best gas mileage...and I need all the help I can get at 15 mpg on highway and 8 around town....:(

I ran 33 psi in tires rated for a max of 44 on my Blazer. 44 psi made it ride too hard.
    Paul
    '05 Hyundai Elantra GLS- 2.0 DOHC/5 speed
    '92 Ford Mustang LX- 5.0/AOD