Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranny woes

Unhappy Tranny woes

Well, Ive had my 6 speed in for a few weeks now. Got the clutch all straightened out, and got it good and broken in. I've still got some issues though.

First off, when I shift from 1-2 or 3nd to 4th, it feels sticky. Like a little hard to get into gear. And if I'm stopped, its hard to get into gear, any other gear than 1st. But, it never grinds, such like the clutch was slipping.

ANd, Ive still got a madddd vibration at 70 mph and up. I've had the driveshaft rebalanced, it was off. Reinstalled it, didn't make any difference, good or bad. I've had the rear end shimmed from here to there, including raising the tailsahft, and that never mad any difference either. I though that at least one of these would have made a difference, even if it was worste. But, still no changes.

Any ideas?? I'm about to tear it all apart and have it checked out, which is complete BS cause this is a brand new tranny.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

like if you are stopped and you trying to get it into 1st if you tap the gas and then try to put it gear does it go? i had a lot of trouble one time with my trans. i had to changed the size of rod i used with my slave cylinder. it is something in the clutch that is making it hard to shift. not adjusted or something

Slow Ride
    Wheel weights? Rear gears? Drive line alingment?

There's brand new tires on the front, aligned, and all balanced. I've had my truck to the driveshaft shop, and he says that the angles look good. I don't think it would the the gears, it wasnt' dong it before the tranny swap.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

ZZ4Blazer
    I tried to tell you about the bellhousing. But I guess you will listen to me know. I been down the same road before that you are going down know. The hard shifting is probably coming from the Lakewood bellhousing not being surfaced or indexed. I have a friend that runs a shop that is doing a 1967 Camaro SS for PGA Pro golfer Kenny Perry. The first thang he bought for the car was a Lakewood bellhousing and a Muncie 4 speed transmission. He checked the surface's of the bellhousing and it was a mile off. So he took it to the machine shop to get it surfaced on both sides. Now all he has to do is index the bellhousing with the crank. If you do not have a true surface on the bellhousing. That will make the input shaft cock to one side and bind the gears in the transmission. The two surfaces have to be parallel with each other. That is one problem that rises from the Lakewood bellhousing's. GM only allows .008 on the input shaft to be cocked which means that the input shaft does not have to be centered in the transmission. Anything more and it will bind the gears which will lead to heavy wear to the gear surface. I can not stress this issue enough. Another thing, you might try running Red Line transmission fliud. You can get it at summit the next time you are there. Red Line is kind of high but it is well worth the money. I don't mean to be rude or such but just trying to stress an issue. But anyways, good luck with your Blazer. No idea on the vibration.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

I fully understood you on that issue. I had fully planned on getting it done, but I ended up using a factory camaro bellhousing. I got one from the yard from like a 85 camaro. I had WAY more room for the exhuast on the drivers side with the factory one over the Lakewood. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the tranny itself.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

you used ATF in your 6-speed? Is that what was recommended by the manufacturer? you may still have some air in your clutch line to...maybe try and bleed it again. but yenko is right about the bellhousing.
    Last edited by badassblazer01; 07-21-2002 at 01:05 AM.

They said ONLY ATF in the tranny. The clutch line doens't have any air in it. I bled that at least 3 dozen times.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

I'm using manual clutch linkage and a 12" Borg and Beck clutch with a Muncie but I had the same symptoms. I had to lengthen the arm on the clutch side of the bellcrank to get full disengage.

I know this is completely different than yours but I was just wondering if there is enough stroke from the stock cylinder to fully disengage the clutch. Some of the drag racers I've seen use a hydraulic throwout bearing for the extra stroke length instead of the stock master/slave setup.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

ZZ4Blazer
    I talk to a few Camaro friends of mine and they said that you may have a pressure plate that has to much pressure for your slave cyclinder to handle. I think if I remember right reading that on http://www.ls1.com/forums/ at one time. The Camaro slave cyclinder could not handle a pressure plate that has a lot of pressure on it. It said something like they had to take out the rod and take the slave cyclinder apart and hone out the cyclinder so that the slave cyclinder could hold more fliud. But they had to get a rod made cause of honing out the housing. So you might have to get a different pressure plate so that your slave cyclinder can press it all the way in. Also ask them what kind of problems this would cause and they said hard to get in gear and also hard shifting. You might think about this and ask around.

Since your not using the Lakewood bellhousing,that is not the problem. GM factory bellhousing is not a bad bellhousing. I'm using one on my S10 right now and has had no problems yet.
    Let us know what you find out or what your going to do to get it to shift right. What have you found out about the vibration problem???
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Nothing on the vibration problem yet. Im using a the CF DF clutch, and pressure plate. So what's a good, strong clutch and pressure plate, thats not too strong?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

I forgot to tell you that the clutch was a Center Force pressure plate that was causing the problems with the hard shifting in the LS1 Camaro slave cyclinder. Glad you brought that up. Sorry,but I forgot to bring that up in my last post. I personally used a performance clutch kit from GM since I get a discount from the GM parts house. Me and a guy at the GM parts house have been trading performance parts for years and he always comes out ahead. So he make it up by giving me his discount at the dealership. I hate to see you change your new clutch kit and still have the same problem. Your guess is good as mine. You might try talking to some LS1 Camaro guy's and see what they say you need to do about the problem. But on the other hand,if you got the green($$$),try a different pressure plate(GM performance,Hayes or even Zooom). Hayes is border line cause most of the kits are High Performance kits. So you might leave them out of the list. Just thinking off my head at the moment. Ask around is all I can say for now. Sorry dude,but I don't have any more idea's. Good Luck,let me know what you find out and I will keep asking around for a solution. Can't be that hard to fix(I hope).
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Dude, I am gonna come down and shake your hand when I straighten every thing out. Thanks for all the help. What exactly holds the power more, the clutch for the pressure plate? I know your pushing more ponies than me, but I will be upgrading soon to your kinda numbers. I don't wanna replace it again cause I used one that wasn't as strong. Looks like this paychecks going towards a new clutch set.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Did you check your throwout bearing, that could be causing the hard shifting, that was the problem in my Malibu.

Everything is new, but the bellhousing
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear