Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tranny woes

Do you mean the clutch fork for the NV? I'd sell you my old one, but that was one of the many missing parts when my tranny blew.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

i've try to find one at junk yard. but some reason there isn't any there.

ZZ4blazer - You still have this problem?

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    yes he does

and its killing him.
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    :rolleyes:

Ba - bup - pa pa da dang ga dang dang yi dip ti ta dip - blue moon

shoo be do wop!

Just picture your grandparents "bumping uglies" in the back seat of a 57 chevy

Yup
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

had a vibration problem once in a 5 speed, tried everything. it turned out to be a wobbly trans tailshaft.
    84 xCab S-15. No longer ugly but still quick

Here's a variety of suggestions, having someone around who can follow to your instructions running the throttle would help you alot so you can listen and observe.

Put it on jack stands, under the rear axle to keep your normal drivetrain angle. Run it to 75 insure that the vibration occurs and give you a reminder of how bad it is before you start dividing and conquering the problem.

A) take the drive shaft out, start the truck and run the "speed" up to 75 to check for vibration in 4th 5th and 6th gears. IF there's no vibration then move further back into the drivetrain. If theres vibration, check if is different between gears. Re post and I'll give some more ideas.

B) check your drive shaft u joint placement to insure that the joints aren't at 90 degrees. the yokes should be in the same plane.

C) Pinion should be roughly 3 to 5 degrees down from the tailshaft of the tranny.

D) check your center is still welded to the axle tubes (unlikely problem but I've broken a GM rear that way)

E) take off your wheels and drums. Don't hit your brakes. If you have adpaters or rotors get all that off. The goal is to only have the driveshaft and pinion and axles rotating.

F) install your drive shaft. check for vibration again. If you still have vibration get a dial indicator and check the drive shaft near the front yoke, center and pinion. also check your axles if the driveshaft is ok. You might be able to see this visually.

G)If not then the problem is in your brakes or wheel/ tires. Look for cracks or "egging" out of the holes before you put the drums back on, secure with nuts, check for vibration again.

H) Unlikely but this only leaves the tires and wheels. put on one test again.

As soon as the motors back in, Im gonna have it on jackstands and run it. I've been meaning to do it, just havetn' had the chance.

The U joints are new, shaft was shortened and balanced, balanced twice. Sometime this week I'll take it to a different shop and see what he says.

The vibration is the same roughtly at the same speed, in 4th, 5th and 6th. I have no speedo, so Im calculating this from the different rpms and the tranny gear differences.

I set the pinion up myself, same way I did when I dropped it before. Iv'e never had a problem. 2 shops also said my pinion looked good, and they thought I was getting good cancelation.

I don't think its the rear end, I swapped out to the one from my parts truck, and it happens the same at the speed/rpm.

I've had 10 different tires on there. I had my front 2 18's replaced, balanced, and the front end aligned. I had all 4 of the 18's balanced. I got my 15's on there now, rebalanced, and no difference.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

How far apart is it? you might want to check with a tranny shop and see if they can connect your flywheel, bell housing, clutch and tranny up to their tranny dyno.

Sorry, but its easy to make suggestions when I don't have to do the work.