Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tranny woes

The pressure plate is actually what holds the power.

This is probably a stupid comment but if your pressure plate wasn't tightened all the way, it could cause the hard shifting problem and the vibration, or maybe you just got a defective pressure plate??

Corvettes used a dual disc clutch as an option from the factory in the early 70's on some of the HiPo engines. It had less pedal pressure but the same holding power as normal ones. I know their not cheap though.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

i think its the slave cylinder stroke isnt big enough to release the clutch fully and go into gear i have the same damn problem with my truck.im 99% sure its that.
    '82 slammed orange S10 with a 350 bored .030 , flat top pistons , camshaft with 214 in 224 exh @.050 and .454 lift ,holley street dominator intake ,holley 4 bbl 650 cfm carb...$4000obo

1996 k1500 350 tbi 4wd singlecab shortbox 3" lift 31"goodyear mt's $6000obo

1997 zr580 efi 2"x136"track stock mint condition w/reverse $3000obo

what about your flywheel, is your motor a stroker, you might need a special flywheel, or mabye even a special dampener.
    I'm not sure, but good luck.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    Dude, I am gonna come down and shake your hand when I straighten every thing out. Thanks for all the help. What exactly holds the power more, the clutch for the pressure plate? I know your pushing more ponies than me, but I will be upgrading soon to your kinda numbers. I don't wanna replace it again cause I used one that wasn't as strong. Looks like this paychecks going towards a new clutch set.
    Thanks ZZ4Blazer. I'm just trying to help out. The clutch disc does hold a lot of power but on the other hand,the pressure plate holds a lot of power too. But the pressure plate(my opinion) holds the most amount of power cause it is bolted to the flywheel and hold the clutch disc to the flywheel. You can run a stock clutch disc and will hold power up to 500HP. But you might try a GM performance pressure plate. Stay away from 3 finger pressure plates cause they are hard on the knee's(when you are holding the clutch in)if you know what I mean. Another reason is cause they are mostly for drag racing only. Good Luck...:bigthumb:
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Originally posted by hazards-s10-350
    i think its the slave cylinder stroke isnt big enough to release the clutch fully and go into gear i have the same damn problem with my truck.im 99% sure its that.
    Sorry, but that is not the problem,I'm using the same setup as ZZ4Blazer but I'm running a five speed and a GM performance Clutch kit and I'm having no problems with shifting. We both are using the Camaro slave cyclinder and the T5 bellhousing. I think(my opinion) its his pressure plate(Center Force Dual Friction) having to much pressure for the slave cyclinder. The slave cyclinder can not push the pressure plate all the way in to release the clutch disc. Which will cause hard shifting. Just my .02 cents...:bigthumb:
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Originally posted by MastaMinds001
    what about your flywheel, is your motor a stroker, you might need a special flywheel, or mabye even a special dampener.
    I'm not sure, but good luck.
    ZZ4Blazer is running a GM ZZ4 crate motor(350 stroke not a 383 stroker). His flywheel is new and If I remember right,its a billet(aluminum) flywheel. So he does not need a special flywheel or damper. A damper or a flywheel will not affect how his transmission shiftes. But it was a good thought anyways,that's what counts on this forum board...lol:bigthumb:
    I'm not being hateful,just trying to help ZZ4Blazer out. Specially when he is running new things on his Blazer. I hate to see him mess up his new GM 6 speed(Big-Bucks there...$$$$).
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

uh...duh, I'm not talking about the hard shifting, I'm talking about the vibration at 70mph+

I'm using a performance light weight case flywheel out of the GMPP catalog. My thinking was, if it was something like that causing the vibration, it'd get worse at higher rpm, not vehicle speed. ITs at 70 in 4th 5th or 6th gear.

Yenko
    GM performance, or a Ram clutch?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

GM Performance
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

Originally posted by MastaMinds001
    uh...duh, I'm not talking about the hard shifting, I'm talking about the vibration at 70mph+
    Do you even know anything about motor physics? I take it you don't. You need to read the previous post before you fly off the handle. A stroker motor has nothing to do with the vehicle ride...uh...duh.:rolleyes:The only time a motor will effect the body is when its not moving...uh..duh. Do you even have a V8 Blazer or a V8 S10???:D Post a picture.:bigthumb:

V8 S10
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

K Sweet. Happen to have a part number for me too? Im probably gonna be pullin her out this week once again. Maybe this time I can get my electric fans on, lol.

Talked to a guy on the LS1 forum, with a T56 LS1 Z28. Not the same tranny or linkage, but he says his CF DF clutch gave him a world of problems. He talked to Centerforce about it, and they said not to use it the DF with his car. They told him he could "modify" his pressure plate by cutting off the weights on it. I think I'll try a different clutch first.
    Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 07-29-2002 at 04:07 AM.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Hows 12353960. GMpartsdirect lists it for $330, and they sell it for $270. I got that from my GMPP catalog. Im not sure if this is a performance clutch set, or just factory replacement. I can't get a hold of any of the dealerships in the area today. Iv'e been on hold for like over an hour waiting to talk to somebody.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

I don't have my old part number anymore cause I throw it away after I got done with the conversion. Instead of buying a high dollar kit, try this first. Go to a parts house and buy a stock replacement pressure plate and put in. You should be able to buy one for at least $100 or $150. If the problem goes away. Do your research on clutch kit before you buy a good one. I found out today from one of my gear buddies that the GM performance kit that I bought, is no better than a stock replacement clutch kit from GM. The only difference is the pressure plate is better balanced and the disc pad surface is a little better. He said that if I took it out and put in a stock clutch, that I would not notice the difference. this info just blows my mind and kind of pizzes me off. To make a long story short. I have tuned my motor this weekend to its full potential and I was shocked how good my clutch held up. I did not pop the clutch any. I just took off at a rolling start and shifted to second gear like grandma would...lol. Once I was in second gear, I took the rpm's up to 3000 grand(about 25 mph or so). Once there, I hammered down on it hard(took it to 7000 rpm's). My truck was all over the road, It took everything I had to keep it on the road. It almost came around on me. I tried like a SOB to get the clutch disc to slip but I could not do it. Once I got back home and my nerves finally calmed down(scared about the police trying to get me for reckless driving...lol). My clutch was a little hot and smelled like $h!t. But I never had a problem out of it. Keep in mind how much horse power my motor is putting out. I've slipped a clutch disc with a 300 horse motor before. So I was impressed with the performance of my clutch kit. The clutch is not coming out until I shatter the clutch disc or the diaphragm on the clutch pressure plate collapses. If I was you, I would buy a different pressure plate(one step up from stock). And go from there. Good Luck...:cool: :bigthumb: :D
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

I dont' need a new clutch do I? I can just use the same clutch plate, and the new pressure plate?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

That is correct. You don't need a new clutch disc, just a new pressure plate. I hope this fixes the problem.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA