Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tranny woes

Probably goes unsaid but I'd look that "old" clutch plate over VERY carefully
    Originally posted by Blazin Low:
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low
    :D

I'm probably just gonna go buy a whole kit from summit. That way, if thats not it, I can always return it. Summit usually takes most anything back, as long as its not really damaged. A whole lot easier than a dealership, or a parts store. I haven't had any time this week at all, I'll probably wait till sunday to start on it.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Vibration ideas:

Driveshat yoke stuffed far enough into the tranny?

Did you grenade your last trans/driveshaft?
    If yes, possible pinion bearing damage? or bent pinion?
    In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Tony Low

I never thought of the old tranny causing problem with the rear end. It did scatter. How could I check to see if it was something with the rear end? The driveshaft is like 1/2" or so out of the tranny. I got a different one from a yard, had it cut and balanced and everything. I'm clueless on what else to do with it. I set the pinion angle the same way I had before, and I always had good cancelation and little to no vibration. I wanna get the shifting problem figured out first, cause its in every gear. The vibration's only at 70.

He's what she looked like after it fell out.

Hey Yenko
    When you gonna see what that bad boy runs on the 1/4?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

WOW! you're lucky that thing didn't come through the floor and eat your right leg.

I'd start with an external exam to check the end play (front to back movement) in the pinion yoke.
    Excess radial runout (bent pinion) could probably be checked with a dial indicator or by eye if it's really bent

I thought it was going to. I've heard storys of that happening. I then thought it was gonna lock up the rear end. That would have put me into a guard rail at the very least. I was hauling too. Almost 4th gear tached out.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

ZZ4Blazer
    Going to the track soon. Just as soon as I get a day off from work. I've been working around the clock lately so I've really hav'nt had the chance to go. I'm getting ready to break ground on the new house and I've been work as many hours as they will give me. My average hours a week at work is 70 hrs(its killing me too). I need the hours so I can get my new shop built too. Like the country song says"The over time is gonna kill me before I ever get rich"...lol...Trace Atkins"

Did you ever get your new clutch in let???
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

I got it in yesterday. Started putting everything back earlier today. I have to run around today and pic some stuff up to finish putting it back together. Should be running again in a day or so. Been really busy this week cause the boss is out of town, and Iv'e been doing everything myself. If that doesn't fix the shifting problem, Im gonna try using the rod from my s-10 cylinder. Its a good 2" longer than the camaro one.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Good deal. Keep us posted.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

i have a question about the venture trans. what slave cylinder,flywheel and clutch do i have to use?

Slow Ride
    From a full size truck or from a 4.3 equiped Blazer. I have a '90 full size Chevy truck with the NV 5 spd w/ a 350 stock.

Use one from a blazer. It'd be easiest. Im not sure if there's any difference in the fullsize stuff. You can use a factory clutch, or get a performance clutch from just about anywhere.
    The clutch is a 1 1/8x 10 spline. I used my flywheel off my 4.3 on my 350. I just had it resurfaced. My truck is a 92. All 90+ s-series with a 4.3 and 5 speed should have a NV. At least for 1st gens.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear

Just remember to get the starter that matches the flywheel. A 4.3 starter will work on a V8.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

o ok i got the trans yesterday for 250.00. so i have to find a arm for the throw out bearing. i have seen them in the jegs magazine. but i don't know if it will work. do you think i can get one from there or do i have to go get on from dealer? if they even carry it.

Yes the dealership can get them or order them. But they are not cheap. Try to find one at a salvage yard before you get one from the dealership. Good luck.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA