Thread: So you want to run nitrogen with your bags?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    www.guiltybydesign.net guiltybydesign's Avatar

Post So you want to run nitrogen with your bags?

Heres a summary on istalling nitrogen into your existing air supply system.

Nitrogen is a naturally occuring gas that makes up about 78% of the earths atmosphere. It is colorless and odorless, it is an inert gas meaning it is not flamable, and it depletes moisture in compressed form. Nitrogen also has a relatively flat line of thermal expantion, wich means it will not inflare or deflate its container no matter what the temperature of the gas is. All of these cahracteristics make it perfect for running in an air suspention.

What you will need to install it onto your existing system is a bottle of nitrogen, a nitrogen regulator, a high pressure line, some fittings, and bottle brackets.

Bottles-
    There are many different sizes of nitrogen bottles you can put into your bed. The one I like using is what is known as a "K" bottle. It is actually a 255 cu ft bottle wich is at a pressure of 2100psi. The k bottle is just tall enougn to fit sideways in the s10 bed. There are also 118 cu ft, 80, 40, and 20. All bottles will be at 2100psi. Bottles are generally leased to you for a set time, and you pay to have it refilled as you go. Prices vary from store to store.

Regulators-
    A regulator is a device that regulates the 2100psi down to a desired working pressure. You will need a regulator that can handle the 2100psi on the bottle side, and can put out the pressure you desire on the working side. For this I use the Harris #3000606 N2 Regulator. It has a working pressure setting of 0-500 psi. It costs around $90 at a local welding supply store.

Airline-
    You will also need to have a way for the nitrogen to go from the regulator to your existing holding tank. For this I either would use a stainless steel braided line, or a high pressure braided airline. No you should not run your DOT plastic line. The SS line usually runs about $10 ft, and the braised airline is about $5 ft.

Fittings-
    Of course you need fittings to connect everything, and how many/ wich ones needed will vary with your setup.

Bottle brackets-
    Also needed if a way to securely mount the bottle. You will not want the nitrogen bottle loose in your bed, the bottle is basicly a bomb if struck with considerable force. For this most people will either build or buy a set of brackets. Brackets usually run anywhere from $30- $100.

Basicly what this setup will do is allow you to increase the pressure of your tank. The regulator will allow you to have the pressure anywhere from 5psi to 500psi ( if there is no pressure switch to tell the compressor to kick on at a certain psi) It will also save you from having to run your compressor for long periods of time while playing, therefore increasing playtime.
    Last edited by guiltybydesign; 09-03-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Also you will want to be sure of the following:
    You will want to check if your compressor has a check valve that will prevent the higher pressure nitrogen from damaging the internal components.
    You will also want to keep in mind the pressure rating of your valves, tank, and line.
    And lastly, carring around a compressed bottle of gas is considered illegal in some states, be sure to check your state laws considering this matter (like thats any reason to stop you)

Cando Specialties offers a nitrogen installation kit- http://candospecialties.com/
    Last edited by guiltybydesign; 09-11-2005 at 07:46 PM.

stuck :)

Schweet.

how long does a tank last??
    8================D

255 cu ft at 2100 psi will last a LONG time, if i only could rememebr the conversion formula i would convert it to gallons at 200 psi

A tank will usually last anywhere from 20 mins to 2 months.:cool:

how long it lasts depends on how much time you play wth it. I've thought about doing 2 K bottles in my truck cause i dont want the noise of compressors. The only problem is, if I accendatlly run out. Of course I will have a back-up compressor though.

I'm really interested in trying to run nitrogen just in the winter. It should help keep everything from freezing yeah?? My blaze is a daily and don't need to be stcuk anywhere when it's freezing out.
    8================D

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Just an FYI about the max PSI stated in the first post... all of the shops around here (gas and dive shops) will fill the bottle to 3000 psi if its a certified tank. (Maybe 2100 is for uncertified?)

You can also run a straight up scuba tank but it often has a K valve or a yoke valve and requires a different type of connection from the regulator. THey can be filled with standard compressed air (to 3k PSI at Randy's Dive shop and Ocean Odysee in western PA) or just nitrogen.

i kno this thread is kind of old but i was wondering how long the 40 cu ft bottle would lastif you would use it just to put up n down wen u drive? thanx for all help
    Last edited by ridetodie; 03-12-2006 at 11:55 PM.

40 ft^3 is almost 300 gallons of air. so it will last a while