Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backspacing, offset and tire sizes explained

here's a funny one. I borrowed a 20x9 rim with 5.5" of backspacing and it clears BARELY. I can slide a couple sheets of paper in between the tire and the quarter panel. Im going to order the 8.5s in the same backspace and see how it went.

let us know because i found some 20x8.5 with 5.5 backspacing that i really liked.
    it would be easier with more money.

my project thread

I know I keep pulling up old posts but, for the guy who wanted to run the 20" with the 8.5 backspace and only had a few MM worth of room between the quarter and the tire. You might want to think about the fact that tires balloon and swell with heat and rotation so if you drive on a tire that will barely rub when it's sitting then when the tire heats up and expands it will eventually rub and "flake" the rubber off the tread of the tire. Just my .02 worth...
    85' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.8L*Sold*
    88' S-10 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.5L *Sold*
    88' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD R Code 2.8L *Daily Project*
    89' Jimmy 2dr 2WD Z Code 4.3L TBI *Parts Truck*
    92' Jimmy 4Dr 2WD W Code 4.3L Vortec *Sold*

Quote Originally Posted by FeTTo View Post
    please tell me you just took your stupid pill before posting that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

!! Built Not Bought !! bagme_85's Avatar
    cool thats a good thing to know.
    ***im back bitchez time to shine up the underside of some frames... asphalt style***

Originally posted by 85Jimmy
    I know I keep pulling up old posts but, for the guy who wanted to run the 20" with the 8.5 backspace and only had a few MM worth of room between the quarter and the tire. You might want to think about the fact that tires balloon and swell with heat and rotation so if you drive on a tire that will barely rub when it's sitting then when the tire heats up and expands it will eventually rub and "flake" the rubber off the tread of the tire. Just my .02 worth...
    I think hector ran those wheels and is now fully bagged with no problems.

I dont think anyone would run a setup that allowed only a few mm to clear for safety reasons, let alone leave a small enough gap that would close up as the wheel "swelled" as you call it.

and not many drive 70+ with the front/rear all the way down for a long period of time anyhow.

Heres a very dimunitive update to the thread as well.

If you are a few mm from clearing a specific wheel many better wheel shops will be able to shave a bit off the mounting area of most wheels. Its not very costly and allows you to run your selected wheel with no problems.
    Superbee is a Flaming homosexual!
    A firm believer that women are physcotic.

the wheels im getting are 20x8.5 with 5" backspaceing and +6mm offset. do you guys think they will rub or anything, i plan on bagging my truck this summer.

Originally posted by FabianSS357
    I dont think anyone would run a setup that allowed only a few mm to clear for safety reasons, let alone leave a small enough gap that would close up as the wheel "swelled" as you call it.

and not many drive 70+ with the front/rear all the way down for a long period of time anyhow.

The only thing I can say to that: There are people like that in this world. Don't doubt that for a second.....

Plus, even if you drove with the front/ rear up, the tire still expands with the friction between the contact patch and the road. Therefor, when you let it down again to cruise, it would rub the fenderwell untill it gradually lost the heat and shrank back to it's normal size under slower driving conditions.
    85' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.8L*Sold*
    88' S-10 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.5L *Sold*
    88' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD R Code 2.8L *Daily Project*
    89' Jimmy 2dr 2WD Z Code 4.3L TBI *Parts Truck*
    92' Jimmy 4Dr 2WD W Code 4.3L Vortec *Sold*

Quote Originally Posted by FeTTo View Post
    please tell me you just took your stupid pill before posting that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I spent night after night after night doing research and reading and measuring before finally placing that order. I guess I did something right because now I can stick my hand between the tire and the quarter panel and I'm still about 3/4" away from the 4-link bars. I ended up going with a +35mm offset.

Thanks for the concern though about the sidewall, I did run into that a few times when searching through old posts on various forums

Originally posted by JPMasters1107
    the wheels im getting are 20x8.5 with 5" backspaceing and +6mm offset. do you guys think they will rub or anything, i plan on bagging my truck this summer.
    Gonna rub on the frame and possibly the sway bar on turns.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    Gonna rub on the frame and possibly the sway bar on turns.
    is it the backspacing or the offset that is too much??

Originally posted by JPMasters1107
    is it the backspacing or the offset that is too much??
    More like not enough, look for something closer to a +14mm offset

will do, thanks alot...but i thought 2wd needed a smaller offset then 4wd, i always thought a 15mm offset was 4wd.
    Last edited by JPMasters1107; 11-28-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Originally posted by s10blaza
    More like not enough, look for something closer to a +14mm offset
    Um no. 14MM offset on an 8.5" wheel would have just over 5 1/4" BS. That is way too much on a 2wd. For the front, on an 8.5" wheel zero offset would probably be the best. Thatd be 4.75" BS.

Having a wider wheel like that, and being bagged, your gonna have some rubbing. No way around that.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    Um no. 14MM offset on an 8.5" wheel would have just over 5 1/4" BS. That is way too much on a 2wd. For the front, on an 8.5" wheel zero offset would probably be the best. Thatd be 4.75" BS.

Having a wider wheel like that, and being bagged, your gonna have some rubbing. No way around that.

thanks jim, i dont know much about wheels but i knew 14mm offset was more like 4wd. i guess i will look for a 8" wheel with like a 0-3MM offset.

good information, im still left a little confused. Like above, i was under the impression that a +15mm offset is for a 4x4 and the lower the better for a 2wd. Im about to go from 20x9s to preferably 22x8 but probably 9 or 9.5 width wise with a +15mm. sound right?