Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fresh rebuild now not starting

use Fed-Ex I want a bonus Mr Bravada's Avatar

fresh rebuild now not starting

we recently rebuilt the engine in my brother's 89, and we followed all the directions pretty well and looked for hours on end on here for just advice and things to watch out for but here is the snag we're at now, we can get the engine to turn and get fuel, but there is no ignition. my question is though is there suppposed to be voltage leak from the cap/rotor? because while cranking i got ZAPPED real nicely.. so there is power getting to the distributor apparentely but where should we go from here?
    :confused: :confused:
    2000 Bravada
    "Big rims are like chicks wearing thongs, anyone can put them on....But that doesnt mean it looks good"
    VP S-Clusive Alaska Chapter
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218780

STFU YOU MOFO!!!!!!!!!!! 96scraper's Avatar

Re: fresh rebuild now not starting

From the distributer you can either hook up a timing light to the spark plug wire and see if it is firing or take the plug out of the cylinder and plug it in the wire, lay the metal part to metal, have someone crank the engine to see if it is sparking..... You have the distributer in right? rotor hitting the right cylinder as it comes to the top of the compression stroke?
    Originally posted by thechariot
    go punch him in the dick.

Originally posted by RustyButTrusty Asshole Drivers - 0, Me - 1
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2117279

1996 Silver, Black int... many mods.....

but here is the update so far we're getting gas.. but it seems to be ''misting'' above the TBI as if its shooting the wrong way
    we did a spark test with the #1 plug and we grounded the plug and fired the engine and we had a spark....
    the plugs are not fouling... in fact they are bone dry
    any thoughts as of the latest of updates?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    2000 Bravada
    "Big rims are like chicks wearing thongs, anyone can put them on....But that doesnt mean it looks good"

i owud start off by checking to make sure the distributer was droped in the right spot. sound like it can be 180 off to me.

put number one cylinder to top dead center and see where number one is on the distributer
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Thanks for the reply. Shouldn't the spark plugs be wet though if it was getting gas? We get sparks but the distributor probably isn't lined up though.

What should we check if the spark plugs should be wet?
    2000 Bravada

i think im gonna get lost myself here. lol

well if the distributer is firing at the wrong time. it will burn the gas on the plugs. is it poppin or anything when you turn the key?
    sound like it turns over slow? kind of like a weak battery?
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)

its almost like its sputtering the fuel back up from the TBI is there a better way to find TDC other than feeling the compression? is it when it stops pushing out air or what should we be feeling for when we have the #1 out..? and it is the furthest forward on the driver's side correct?
    2000 Bravada

yeah front driver side is number 1.
    easier way to find TDC. take the plug out. stick a screwdriver in the hole. turn the motor over by hand. just put a racthet(sp) on the crank. once the scredriver stops going up. your at TDC.

if its spitting gas back up. timing is way off

ok, so stick a screwdriver in with the driver part goin in the head or the handle? so when it stops suckin in its at TDC? rather than pushing it out?
    2000 Bravada

handle wont fit in there. lol. when the piston is top dead center the screw driver will be at the highest spot. best way. have someone hold the screwdriver while you turn the motor. once the screw driver dont come up out of the hole anymore your at TDC

ok so it has nothing to do with the air being blown out? lol, because that would be why we were that far off........
    we were told that you hold your finger in that hole and when its blowing out than thats TDC... we're going to do the screwdriver thing tomorrow morning!! lets cross our fingers... once again thanks syclonekid!!
    2000 Bravada

it will work with the finger over the hole trick, but i trust the screwdriver more. you never know. the motor might turn over to much and the piston goes back down some. next thing you know. its not TDC anymore. air coming out is the compression. which is a good thing

you're the man, we'll do the screwdriver thing in the morning... and i think that it will put us closer to knowing whether or not its ignition that it holding us up.....
    2000 Bravada

let me know how you make out. and ill get back to you after work tomorrow

if it wasn't sooo freaking dark and chilly outside we'd go try it out....but it'll have to wait till tomorrow
    2000 Bravada