Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Gen Body kit

Hey guys

Just joined here.....long timer over at SyTy, SSF, etc. Been lurking.

This is an interesting post and what brought me to register. I have recently made the investment for doing vacuum infusion composites manufacturing. I've actually had to take on a second job to finance all of the equipment I've been gathering. The reason I do this is because of the lack of sourcing for the Syclone and Typhoon replacement pieces and if you DO source them......the outrageous prices for them. I had the same approach when it came to Datamaster cables. I was able to sell them for a fraction of what the going price was for the same features. I've been working on replacement cladding, and everyone talking about the Typhoon body kits.......something to consider:

You have a lot of mounting hardware which would have to be added to your 1st gens for the cladding to mount to. This could significantly increase the price if someone wanted to come out with it.

Once I get all of the 14 pieces molded and all the bugs worked out, I am going to explore the option of how to mount these to a standard S-Series. The reason behind this is because I want to build a TTV8 Blazer Typhoon clone when I finish building my Ty. I'm still a ways out, but I'd be happy to keep updates of my progress. I am being very careful because I would really like to not trash my cladding in the molding process, so this isn't anything I am rush through and may take some time. I'm currently experimenting with different reinforcements, resins, vacuum settings, flow media, etc. It's certainly a learning process and much different than a wet-layup manufacture.

My main focus is actually to explore the carbon fiber process because I want carbon fiber cladding. It's worth it to me to make the investment of thousands in the equipment even if I only make a set for myself rather than to pay $6k+ for someone else to make it for me.

I've been working with some engineers in the composites manufacturing industry, including people in aerospace (local outfit here in AZ), hobbyist (currently work for a company that is involved in the R/C industry), as well as car audio (I worked many years in this industry and even one of the engineers that I work with now worked on Alma Gate's original Bronco for you car audio fans). I want to do this right. I am by no means an expert, but hopefully through trial and error, along with the guidance, I should be able to pull this off. :)

So if anyone is local to the Phoenix area that would be willing to have me check out their S-Series, I'd be glad to take some PM's from people and possibly use them as a guinea pig for this project.

Thanks,
    Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

ppi, If your going to do as you plan, i'll be down to buy a kit.

keep us posted,

maybe u could keep a list og peoples emails, so that when u do get it all figured out or what not; you can contacts us, or just post on this forum.

theres tonnes of interest, as long as the kit is priced resonably u should have no problems selling.

just be careful with the copy write shit bud

later
    craig

primus1984@hotmail.com

p.s If you go carbon fibre I think that would be an amazing
    kit:bigthumb:
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

that sounds like a good idea. im interested in buying the kit, when your done

Well, I'm not worried about stepping on anyone's toes. Considering PAS went out of business, I don't think there is a problem there. If there is, I'll respond appropriately. I do plan on modifying the existing style to accomodate wider tires much like the Geiger Ty and Pikes Peak Sy. I think that's a killer look and something that I could probably use.

The reasonably priced part doesn't seem out of the question. I know people are looking at $3k+ right now, and that's just ridiculous. Just as with my datamaster cables, I don't consider my time worth charging for. I enjoy doing this stuff. Should it prove to be something people want, then great. if not.....I know I will have all kinds of other little composite pieces to make. :) But the price per piece doesn't seem too bad. I don't consider "making money for my time in development" because I like knowing how to do this stuff anyways. So if I do come out with something, it would be very reasonable. I'm looking between $100 and $200 per piece depending on the piece, maybe cheaper. This would be anywhere from $1400-$2000 for everything. That is just an estimate that I've come up with that will compensate for the materials used and general wear on the equipment.
    Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

fabricator on a dime blaznlowhubby's Avatar
    I want one now!:smoker: :bigthumb: get pics ASAP & thank you for your time, in advance. now "get r done".
    dad always said" Keep it simple stupid" K.I.S.S.

does anyone have piks of the pikes peak sy and ty?
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

Originally posted by primus
    does anyone have piks of the pikes peak sy and ty?
    Here is the Geiger Ty:

And the Pikes Peak Sy:

Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

There is only one place this front airdam belongs and that is in s10blaza's pile of scrap.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    Originally posted by slammins15
    There is only one place this front airdam belongs and that is in s10blaza's pile of scrap.
    Actually, it looks almost identical to the blazer on the top of the screen(BL1).
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

Originally posted by POSblazer
    Actually, it looks almost identical to the blazer on the top of the screen(BL1).
    You seriously think this ricer piece of shit airdam

looks just like the one on blazinlow's truck at the top of the page?
    :huh: :saywhat:

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    No, I thought you were talking about the pic directly above your last post,lol. By the way, I don't like the ricer look either.:rolleyes:

Read the page. No offense but, your post seems to come out of nowhere.
    Last edited by POSblazer; 10-21-2005 at 05:13 AM.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

Originally posted by PPI Typhoon
    Here is the Geiger Ty:

And the Pikes Peak Sy:

damn they look good, i'd love to get a kit like that for my truck but i'd hate to see what that would cost.
    Women come and go but you can rely on a truck.

Originally posted by POSblazer
    No, I thought you were talking about the pic directly above your last post,lol. By the way, I don't like the ricer look either.:rolleyes:

Read the page. No offense but, your post seems to come out of nowhere.
    No offense but read my first post and look at the pic I attached with the pile of shit and tell me you can't figure out which airdam I was talking about.

Originally posted by L98Jimmy
    damn they look good, i'd love to get a kit like that for my truck but i'd hate to see what that would cost.
    That's the point.....to make them affordable.
    Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

if you do i'll buy a kit as soon as the rest of the body work is done (hopefully by spring), please keep us updated. :bigthumb:
    Women come and go but you can rely on a truck.