Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 1st Gen Body kit

I'm also making molds of Typhoon cladding however I am going with the hand-laid open face polyurethane based fiberglass method...

Here are some pics of my progress so far..

The original part that I am copying here is at the bottom of the pic.. Its already got 5 coats of wax on it.. That parts above it are flanges that I made:

Here is the part with the flanges attached and PVA sprayed on it:

Here is the tooling gelcoat:

Here it is after the 1st layer of 4oz cloth:

Here it as after some 6oz cloth and many layers(8-12 I forget exactly) of heavy MAT:

Here it is after the original part(plug) has been pulled out..

Now I need to wetsand this surface, wax it 5 times, lay down some PVA and I can start to lay up my first copy in it...

This was the first mold that I attempted to make and I am quite happy with how it turned out. Like PPI Typhoon my progress will be slow as I have a full time job+family so that doesn't leave much time to work on this..

I'm also working on making molds of some other 1st gen parts like fender wells and such..

-Matt
    Last edited by mattw; 12-19-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Your progress looks good Matt. I was wondering when I'd see molds. From what did you make your flanges?

Looking at how good your molds came out makes me want to get started on my stuff :) Nice job.

Originally posted by Daddy Ward
    Your progress looks good Matt. I was wondering when I'd see molds. From what did you make your flanges?

Looking at how good your molds came out makes me want to get started on my stuff :) Nice job.

Lowes sells a 4x8 sheet of white board.. Its about 1/8 thick and its only like $10.. Worked perfectly.. I think it may be intended to use as a dry-erase board. I did some testing and it doesn't even need to be primed(as seen in the pics).. You can just throw down some wax, pva, and then lay your part on it.. It seperates from the mold with no problem at all.. I've got about a week off of work starting tomorrow so hopefully I will have some more pics to post shortly..

Thanks for all the info that you shared with me before I got started..

-Matt
    Last edited by mattw; 12-19-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Nice job Matt!

Glad to see more people venturing into this kind of thing.

Question....how did you get the white board to adhere to the curves of the wheel arch at 10 & 2 o'clock? I had some luck with scrapbooking adhesive, but that contour is a killer. Looks like your setup is working well though. I have another mold box built, but waiting to pour. I am filling in that contour though while laying the part down against a rigid flat board. With soft tooling, if I get an edge, it's not too big of a deal to get the part out, but with fiberglass, it's almost certain death of the part or the mold. I commend you in your progress!! :bigthumb:
    Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

Originally posted by PPI Typhoon
    Question....how did you get the white board to adhere to the curves of the wheel arch at 10 & 2 o'clock? I had some luck with scrapbooking adhesive, but that contour is a killer.

That was tricky.. I actually used the tabs of the cladding to secure it on the bottom side of the pallette that I had it on.. Then I used wooden wedges to slide under the white board(between white board and palette) until it came up and made contact with the bottom of the part. Luckily that white board was flexible enough that I could do that.. I still haven't figured out how I am gonna do the curve along the upper portion of the rear corner pieces. If you have any good ideas please share. I plan to mold the bumper supports, rear bumper cover, and a fender well next. I'm hoping that, as I work with the stuff more, I get a better idea how how/where to flange the parts..

EDIT: You can see the wooden wedges in the 3rd pic down where I sprayed the gelcoat..

-Matt
    Last edited by mattw; 12-19-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Originally posted by mattw
    That was tricky.. I actually used the tabs of the cladding to secure it on the bottom side of the pallette that I had it on.. Then I used wooden wedges to slide under the white board(between white board and palette) until it came up and made contact with the bottom of the part. Luckily that white board was flexible enough that I could do that.. I still haven't figured out how I am gonna do the curve along the upper portion of the rear corner pieces. If you have any good ideas please share. I plan to mold the bumper supports, rear bumper cover, and a fender well next. I'm hoping that, as I work with the stuff more, I get a better idea how how/where to flange the parts..

EDIT: You can see the wooden wedges in the 3rd pic down where I sprayed the gelcoat..

-Matt
    That's a good idea. I had the typical problem of the tabs breaking off, so it's been a different route for me. Here you can see my method of filling in with clay:

You can see in my first one, I did similar to you and had my base contour to the part:

Its kind of a toss-up so far which route I will end up going. I'm glad someone went with the fiberglass route though. That way there will be even more options. I really hate to glass, but then again, I have to worry about the emissions of the polyurethane, so that's also a toss-up. LOL

As far as the corner pieces and such, I'm probably going to build a base that allows me to mount the part to it, but made out of multiple pieces that will give me a close fit, where then I fill in the rest with the clay. That way I don't have to plop down 10 lbs of clay just to fill in a wierd corner. Basically I would make the mounting base with the 90 degree angle in it....rasp down the edge to make it curved, then after the piece is mounted, filling in the gaps.

I think my next pieces are going to be the door moldings and rear bumper. Then I'll work on the rest after that. :bigthumb:
    Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

PPI!
    What part of Chandler are you in? I would kinda like to see how that fender molding came out in person. Granted Im not a first gen, it would still be good to know whats going on. :D
    Also, would there be any way I could help? Love to see someone helping the scene out. Hit me up, and let me know. :bigthumb:
    Jake

Typhoon:boink:
    Originally posted by lowblazin94
    Plus they can't arrest you or get a DUI while you have a boner.

Originally posted by PPI Typhoon
    Its kind of a toss-up so far which route I will end up going.

Yeah, its kinda hard to tell which way would be better till you build a couple of parts in the mold.. I'm surprised that the part came out of a 1 piece mold for you.. I was afraid that it would get trapped in and I would end up cracking it trying to get it out. Thats why I decided to go with a 3 piece mold..

I spent most of the day today prepping parts and putting down lots of wax.. I'm quite anxious to get a few more molds built.. I'd really like to make mold of the rear corner pieces so that I can sell a few and pay for some of these supplies.. Just not sure how to go about flanging them yet.. I'm wondering if bending sheetmetal to use as a flange may work OK? Whatever I do/try I will def most pics..

-Matt
    Last edited by mattw; 12-20-2006 at 08:04 PM.

any updates on this?
    Women come and go but you can rely on a truck.

Blacked out member. Mistersponge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L98Jimmy View Post
    any updates on this?
    X2 I just found this thread. . . seems cool.
    -Brian
    02 Blazer Xtreme
    57 Chevy Bel Air
    Quote Originally Posted by DbBlazer View Post
    dude what do u think a trubo is? it is just a fan

any updates on this?
    Nothing at the moment. I'm getting married in 29 days, so my schedule is pretty much taken up for the next month. After that, I'm going to be doing a turbo V8 swap into the Typhoon, so it's probably going to be put off for a bit longer. However, I have been buying pieces here and there so I have extras to make molds off of. Not sure if that counts as progress, but it's something . ;)
    Dan
    92 Typhoon #0815

congrats on getting married!! any details on the engine going in the ty? post up some pics when you have some time please.
    Women come and go but you can rely on a truck.

any updates on this?
    I've got one mold complete and 3 more almost done. Like Dan I've had a lot going on lately. Between the job, the wife, the two year old son and the fact that my wife is due Early June for our second kid I've been rather busy.. I'm not giving up on this by any means though. I'd really like to have all of the molds complete by the end of the year. I'll keep you guys updated..

-Matt

like some one said before you guys should start a new thread, i didnt even know these were in here. i just opened this to get some laughs from the skyline bodykit.

this is awsome tho i want a ty kit too!!!
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI

shittt if this all happened that would be great but i also wouldnt mind just gettin that bl airdam.. tht shit is sexy
    1991 blazer 2dr 4.3 R.I.P.
    1989 s10 slammed 2.5l 5 speed
    http://cardomain.com/id/odawg753