Thread: 1 more intake question...

1 more intake question...

I have a volant cold air intake that I am replacing with chrome tubing and a K&N intake for bling purposes at shows. The question I have is that I know 3"chrome tubing and a non shielded filter is going to give me some REALLY hot air.

Is this going to cause me any problems in the long run or just xtra gas? I can probably swap them back and forth for a show but it takes me long enough to prep as it is.

A little bit of a knowledge base for me to work with would be great.:D
    CRUCIFIED CHRISTIAN CAR CLUB

http://lhfriv.org/crucified_car_club

Sponsors:

Rims/Tires: KMC Wheels

http://kmcwheels.com/

Sunroof/Interior: Corona Sunroofs

http://www.coronasunroofs.com/

Fiberglass work:Epicenterdesigns

EPICENTERDESIGNS

STFU YOU MOFO!!!!!!!!!!! 96scraper's Avatar

Re: 1 more intake question...

I would say a little more gas and less performance, like maybe 5 horses. You know engines like cold air because cold air is more dense and contains more oxygen molecules per square inch than hot air..... thats the main reason for that 4.7K resistor mod, to keep you air comeing into the engine at 60 degrees.
    Originally posted by thechariot
    go punch him in the dick.

Originally posted by RustyButTrusty Asshole Drivers - 0, Me - 1
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2117279

1996 Silver, Black int... many mods.....

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar

Re: Re: 1 more intake question...

Originally posted by 96scraper
    thats the main reason for that 4.7K resistor mod, to keep you air comeing into the engine at 60 degrees.
    how that work?

you can also relocate you IAT sensor closer to the filter to help get cooler readings
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

For bling purposes and also cooler air, why not pick up a piece of sheet/plate aluminum and just make a heat shield?

It will draw in warmer air than the Volant unit did which will result in some power loss and possibly lower mileage as a result.

The 4.7Kohm resistor thing doesnt change the fuel amounts, 02 sensors not matter what control the fuel addage. It at first however does add a degree or 2 of timing which the first time the truck runs in over a 75 degree day or so, then learns the timing value was junk and again it will then lose power.

STFU YOU MOFO!!!!!!!!!!! 96scraper's Avatar
    Originally posted by 05Blazer
    For bling purposes and also cooler air, why not pick up a piece of sheet/plate aluminum and just make a heat shield?

It will draw in warmer air than the Volant unit did which will result in some power loss and possibly lower mileage as a result.

The 4.7Kohm resistor thing doesnt change the fuel amounts, 02 sensors not matter what control the fuel addage. It at first however does add a degree or 2 of timing which the first time the truck runs in over a 75 degree day or so, then learns the timing value was junk and again it will then lose power.

The heat sheild is a must! To make sure you are always getting cooler air... not the hot engine air.
    Originally posted by thechariot
    go punch him in the dick.

Originally posted by RustyButTrusty Asshole Drivers - 0, Me - 1
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2117279

1996 Silver, Black int... many mods.....