Thread: Is it possible to run staggard tire sizes on a 4x4

Is it possible to run staggard tire sizes on a 4x4

Can I run bigger tires in the rear and still use the 4x4??
    will it screw anything up?

like for example a corvette set up

the rear is 285 40 18

and the front is 245 45 17

there is a 2.4" difference in overall height, thats a pretty big differnce, so the rear is rolling at a different ratio than the front.
    will this hurt the 4x4 system?

and what if there was an even bigger difference in tire height, lets say 4" , will it mess up anything?

also another thing to consider is that i have a 97 with electronic / push button 4x4 switches on the dash.

Don't do it keep the tires the same size front to back you will screw it up bigtime with different sizes. A corvette doesn't matter its 2wd the front has no drive axle.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

Also your ABS unit will keep going off do to the different rotation speeds.... Always run matched tires on a 4x4... Another issue is if you switch it to 4wd with different size rtires, you run the risk of blowing your transfer case apart because the front and rear won't be running at the same speed.
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar
    just to add, your not even supposed to run different tread designs, front to back or across an axle on 4wd, and theres supposed to be less then 2/32 difference btw all of the tires:bigthumb:
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

depends on what you mean on bigger tire. i run diffrent size front and back on my syclone. im have 275/40/15 up front. 315/35/17 in the rear. the tire size as far as height are a cunt hair off. which is fine. you can how ever have wider out back if you want. as long as the height is the same. my rims are 17x9.5 front 17x11 rear
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Banned
    yeah, you have a little leaway, i cant remember what but gm give a set tolerance.

i ran 245/45/17 and 235/40/17 or somthing like that when i still had 4wd hooked up.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4