Thread: how far can i travel with a dead alt.?

how far can i travel with a dead alt.?

My alternator kicked the bucket. The battery is fully charged. How far can i travel(with accessories off) before this car dies? I need to travel about 45 minutes away cause i am taking back to the shop who put the alt in a month and half ago since its under warranty.
    98Blazer: 4 door, 4x4, KN intake system, Dynomax cat-back.

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    not far, once your battery goes your screwed
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

What was weird was if the rpm's got up to 2000 the battery light would go off. But lately it moved up to 2800 before the light would go off. I used my multitester and showed 12.5v with vehicle off and 12.0v running so mostly likely that is a dead alt. I made it 45 minutes with anyother lights coming on. i was a sweating:(

If it showed a constant 12V then the alternator is defenately gone.. It would be showing somewhere up in the 14V range if the alternator was charging the battery...
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    If the alternator was dying, that would explain the light coming on at low rpms. As you revved it, the alternator would put out sufficient amperage to shut the light off. It will not last long, especially if you listen to the radio, use your headlights, etc. That will kill the battery a lot faster. You should get it checked ASAP

what size engine you got ive gone a whole day one time with my old s-10 truck 4 banger. if you have a 4.3 you might be pushing it anywhere past 30 min. a 2.8 you should be alright. but i recomend you dont even try turn signals or nothing
    urbanchaosvideos.com

It was in the wifes Grand Am with the 3.1L. This morning when i drove it the battery was so drained the ABS and Airbag lights came on. I'm getting the alt changed now, still under warranty thank god!